2017 Monthly Event Schedule Feeler Thread

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
That time is here. I won't start these monthly trips until after DRV but it's time to start planning. My vision for this year are various types of trips or mini events. Most if not all will be overnight trips, some will be multi-night trips and I would like to run possibly at least 1 mini event (lack of better words) which would be a multi day trip covering various camp spots.

Here is where I field suggestions of places you want to go and see if I can pull those off. I don't necessarily want to stay in the Southern California area. Throw out those suggestions folks. I've already got some ideas.

^^^^In! When/where are we going?

There's a lot to travelling in a group Baja trip. Vehicle prep, human prep, passports, vehicle prep, tourist visa, Mexican auto insurance, vehicle prep.
I highly recommend that people furnish a state-side point of contact, health insurance information, and blood type (seriously). Everyone in the group has a copy of everyone's info. You never know who will be with who if something goes wrong.

Recommend keeping the group size at 5-6 vehicles.

I have a bit of history leading trail runs from years past, I have less than zero interest in leading a trail run. I've got no problem being a sweeper, things seem to work better when I'm at the back cleaning up potential messes than they do when I'm at the front. For a Baja run, I don't mind being the lead vehicle, helping with a plan, etc, but I will NOT be the trail boss, leader, HMFIC or any other similar or implied title. Each and every driver will be responsible for their vehicle and it's occupants/contents.

Did I mention vehicle prep? AAA is NOT an option in Baja, at least not one you can count on.

^^^^In! When/where are we going?

There's a lot to travelling in a group Baja trip. Vehicle prep, human prep, passports, vehicle prep, tourist visa, Mexican auto insurance, vehicle prep.
I highly recommend that people furnish a state-side point of contact, health insurance information, and blood type (seriously). Everyone in the group has a copy of everyone's info. You never know who will be with who if something goes wrong.

Recommend keeping the group size at 5-6 vehicles.

I have a bit of history leading trail runs from years past, I have less than zero interest in leading a trail run. I've got no problem being a sweeper, things seem to work better when I'm at the back cleaning up potential messes than they do when I'm at the front. For a Baja run, I don't mind being the lead vehicle, helping with a plan, etc, but I will NOT be the trail boss, leader, HMFIC or any other similar or implied title. Each and every driver will be responsible for their vehicle and it's occupants/contents.

Did I mention vehicle prep? AAA is NOT an option in Baja, at least not one you can count on.
If I was to do this undertaking you would be one of the 2 people I would seriously rely on for this. If you do make it to drv, I know KOH is a conflict we will talk more there.

Guadalupe Canyon hot tubs would be a fun trip for Baja.

http://guadalupecanyonhotsprings.com/hot-tubs/

It's just over the border between Mexicali and Tecate, then 20 miles or so south on a graded dirt road. I haven't been there in years, but I know some relations to the people that own the place. Reservations have been absolutely required in the past, money paid in advance. Looks like there are two group areas, max of 4 vehicles. No reason folks couldn't get their own spot if need be.

Thinking about it some more...it's been a LOT of years since I have been there. It was completely primitive last time we were there. Your camp spot got you a palapa, a table, and a spring fed hot tub. I believe at the time they advertised there was a store...no store. There is a hiking trail that goes up the canyon to some swimming holes...NOT spring fed warm water...snow melt AGUA FRIO!

Anyone thinking about a beach/dunes trip, remember that is SALT water out there. It plays hell on electrical connectors, any fluid that it contaminates, in addition to the corrosion issues. Having said that, I used to go to Oceano Dunes as a kid, that was back when the oceans were still fresh water (beat the wise guys to the punch:rolleyes:), beach camping is such a rare thing that it makes it fun just to be there.

Last edited:
A few things come to mind.

Inscription canyon

Miller Jeep Trail

Play on the obstacle course at truckhaven

Rincon Shortcut (ANF 2n25)

Sent via carrier pigeon

Los Coyotes Indian Reservation is a nice place to get away for a weekend camping trip, especially in the summer when it's hot or crowded every where else in SoCal.

If it's a weekend trip, I'm definitely interested [emoji106] going to try to start keeping an eye out for the monthly runs!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bradshaw Trail - Joshua Tree

A fun can-be overnighter or even two nighter. I did one night on Bradshaw and the other in JTNP last year. Perfect.

I've still never done the whole Bradshaw Trail, I did both directions from the Salton Sea to DRV one year when DRV was out off of I-10. I'd be in for that one for sure, just not in the summer time.

Rowher flats has 3 large staging areas that you can camp at, and wheel, its not a big place though and only really has 2 trails one being a fire road and the other black diamond "rowher flats 4x4"

Back
Top Bottom