2017 March 4th-5th (Sat Sun) Cougar Buttes (Postponed)

I have to bow out on short notice. Apparently my carrier bearing as well as my u-joints have given up the ghost on my last trip and need to be replaced asap.

I spoke with Cris and he's taking over on this one.

@mtngote can not make it so @Stuart has been moved to the list.

I have a request of everyone going on this trip. Since the goal of this trip is to learn the area, please take a look at some maps, and read some trail information. If there is something in the area you want to see, speak up, if there is a trail that looks interesting, speak up. I have a couple ideas but a large part of this trip is explore with out a plan so it would be easy to add in something you want to see.

I have this book and it has a few spots https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Historic-Lucerne-Valley-Vicinity/dp/0966794745. I have spent a bit of time out there on my motorcycle, but that is a different type of exploring as we are looking for cool trails more than cool points of interest.

Let me know what type of exploring you are looking and I will try to think more of what I know. There is all the more small wheel base obstacles and trails close to Cougar Buttes, but I don't think mine would make it through most of them. There is also the Hammer Trails where I know my truck wouldn't make it through but I can find most of the trail heads.
  • Fissure Mountain trail is supposed to be more SUV than rock crawler and the view from the top is amazing. The entrance is fairly rocky and I heard it has gotten chewed up from the race crossing it. I have only done it on a bike and it was a few years ago.
  • Giant Rock is cool to see, cooler if you read the history on the place.
  • There is slot mine and what is left of a rock cabin just past the Fissure Mountain trail head.
  • The LA granite plant is kind of cool and real close to Cougar Buttes. Lots of large cut square pieces, some foundations, and such.
  • There is another mine closer to Giant Rock and a Geocache fire hydrant near there as well. Cant get into the main mine anymore but you can see a few of the other holes, foundations, and steel can farm.
  • There is a giant needle rock (looks like a giant middle finger) past Cougar Buttes of of Camp Rock / Harrod rd.
  • There is a cross over looking Soggy. I have never tried to get up to it in a truck, but I think it is possible to get close from the back side.
  • There is a few small sand dune areas.

I might be a no show, my damned foot is still swollen to about double size. Hoping it goes down by this weekend but not looking promising. Gout sucks.

Fissure Mountain is not the easiest of trails. I didn't run it this year at KoH but I did last year (we put our radio repeater up there). If the group doesn't have armored vehicles I'd reconsider running that trail. It's not overly difficult, but it is a little tight in spots.

Fissure Mountain is not the easiest of trails. I didn't run it this year at KoH but I did last year (we put our radio repeater up there). If the group doesn't have armored vehicles I'd reconsider running that trail. It's not overly difficult, but it is a little tight in spots.

Good to know. I haven't ridden it in a bunch of years. I remember the bottom by the Riffel plaque being somewhat ugly and I don't really know the true exit. I started the trail going up the slide for Sledge Hammer exit and finding it from there. Rocks look much different on a bike than a truck.

I might be a no show, my damned foot is still swollen to about double size. Hoping it goes down by this weekend but not looking promising. Gout sucks.

That would suck. Shane was looking forward to trying to tire out your dog.

There is some apple cider vinegar aid that is supposed to help with the gout, but that is probably not new news to you.

At best I will be heading out late, like 2:00pm. I traded a class from Tuesday for a Saturday so I can head out to the DRV cleanup site to help the BLM guys on Tuesday.

Have you tried having jaxx pee on it. Works with jelly fish, same thing right.

I have to bow out on short notice. Apparently my carrier bearing as well as my u-joints have given up the ghost on my last trip and need to be replaced asap.

I spoke with Cris and he's taking over on this one.
Trucks been updated from needs to get fixed asap to not even driveable. Glad this didn't happen out there. PITA but necessary.

Back
Top Bottom