2017 Desert Rendezvous Overlanding First Aid Class

Nobody Special

Adventurist
Ciao everyone!

Kyle and I have been approved to hold the first Desert Overlanding First Aid Class @ DRV 2017! Sat at 2pm

This will be a simple crash course in injury prevention and recognition in the field, minor injury first aid, overlanding style trauma injuries, and if we have some extra time we'll touch on temperature related ailments that you might encounter. Everything will be tailored to be relevant to the type of injuries that you or your family may encounter while in a remote environment.

The class will begin Saturday afternoon around 1:30 (exact time TBD) and will be completely free and all ages are welcome! If you carry a medical kit in your rig, don't be afraid to bring it! We'll be covering typical vehicle kits and recommended items to have onboard at the end of the class. Here's a quick rundown of the schedule.

1. Mindset of the injured/rescuer (5 minutes)
2. Principles of remote First Aid (10 minutes)
3. Emergency medical supplies and techniques (30 minutes)
4. Routine medical supplies (15 minutes)

Personally I don't have a limit on participants, but physical space may dictate the class size. But leave a reply if you're interested so I can get an idea of how many supplies to bring.

I hope to see you all there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I could make it.

A thought, and it may be common, I don't know. When taking my dogs with me, in the medium temp range when the temps became warm enough to start being a problem, I took white cotton sheets and spring clipped them to give shade to the windows, or completely over the top of the vehicle (over the rack gave air flow). It helped reduce the temps inside, along with windows being open. May be helpful for humans in warm environments also, if stuck, broke down, or just needing shade and a cool environment. They take up very little room when folded up.

A friend also told about coming upon a gruesome wreck, and there was nothing to cover up the body with until the official first responders arrived. Motorcycle head-on into oncoming highway traffic. B grade movie grade scene.

It's great to see that there is so much interest!

I'd like to emphasize that this will be a family friendly class.When stationed with the Marines, it is always best to teach them as much medicine as possible. This way, if you are ever injured, they can still take care of you. The same goes for your family; don't be the only one that knows how to stop a bleed! We will be bringing some training equipment so we can have some hands-on fun :ambulance

Last edited:

Well I've got my box of training supplies ready lol. We are professional as you can see

IMG_2819.JPG

This class was pretty darn informative. Really enjoyed listening and watching the hands on skills given, even volunteered my arm for a CAT application.

Being an instructor myself, I love watching different teaching styles. You guys rocked it. You definitely had the groups attention. Keep up the great work.

Definitely could become a regular thing for attendees. IMO

Thanks everyone for attending! We had a great time teaching and the group made it even better! If my duty station rotation allows, I hope to have a different topic for every event. Never stop learning!

Thanks everyone for attending! We had a great time teaching and the group made it even better! If my duty station rotation allows, I hope to have a different topic for every event. Never stop learning!

The class was great. Solid information but kept it fun enough to maintain the attention of the crowd. We would love to have you guys offer classes when ever you are available.

Back
Top Bottom