2017 ARSES/AAV Pine Creek Float: May 6 & 7

Water levels are projected to rise with the incoming rains this week. This could be quite the ride through the gorge. I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again. Terri decided that a long weekend at home was a better plan, so I will be traveling solo.

-Andy

Yeah, we'll have to keep an eye on the guage. It would be ironic if we couldn't float this year due because of to high of a water level considering if was too damn low last year.

Chris is still in. I will call the campground tomorrow for a site. Thank you for organizing and taking care of ligistics. I will be there Friday night around 9 I think.

We have to bow out.

The wedding venue that Allison is getting married at in three weeks burned to the ground last night. I have to help her find a new venue and keep her focused and calm. There will be a wedding just not sure where. Sorry guys but family first.

Where Allison was getting married...

IMG_3680.JPG

The venue last night....

IMG_3679.JPG

My little girl is upset and We've got to help her sort it out. I apologize profusely guys.

We have to bow out.

The wedding venue that Allison is getting married at in three weeks burned to the ground last night. I have to help her find a new venue and keep her focused and calm. There will be a wedding just not sure where. Sorry guys but family first.

Wow, usually weddings just have some minor drama. You guys take care and I hope you can find a new venue in time.

That will put the group at only three paddlers; I am still wanting to go if everyone else is still in.

-Andy

Chris Hughes has reserved a campsite. Should be there Friday night and Saturday night with a potential of Sunday night.

Chris Hughes has reserved a campsite. Should be there Friday night and Saturday night with a potential of Sunday night.

LawlerClan, how far is your cabin from there? Is it historic or newer? Very envious of those people that have cabins in the woods...

Haggis, I'm so sorry for this, as a firefighter, it is always hard to watch places go up, especially those that hold such memories for people... past and present. I was really hoping to meet you as well, I've followed your posts for a very long time. Another time, I hope everything goes well.

Honestly, I'm not a fair weather camper, but if it's going to rain all weekend I'm not in. Keeping my wife and two kids under 7 happy in two days of rain is more struggle than I want to bear.

I'm going to follow the weather as the weekend comes closer and make a decision.

Wow, usually weddings just have some minor drama. You guys take care and I hope you can find a new venue in time.

That will put the group at only three paddlers; I am still wanting to go if everyone else is still in.

-Andy
I am still interested, please let me know if things change.

LawlerClan, how far is your cabin from there? Is it historic or newer? Very envious of those people that have cabins in the woods...

My place is just east of Watkins Glen, NY. I call it a cabin as that was the term I grew up with but it is more like lake cottage. I am on the second row on a small lake but have deeded access and great neighbors. It's about 75 miles from the campground according to google.

I can still make it and still have to come up Saturday morning due to work. I'll kayak with anyone but if folks bow out there are other opportunities.

Cell phone is 978-265- and then a famous Orwell book. I tend not to pickup unless I recognize the number but if you need to reach me leave a message or text. Email is chip.lawler at genmills dot com.

Mark - so sorry to hear that news. Good luck working through that.

Last edited:
Good to hear you guys are still up for paddling. We need a minimum of three to paddle safely. I should be at the camp Friday afternoon and will confirm our shuttle for Saturday. It's going to be wet and cold for paddling, so pack accordingly.

Chip, you are welcome to stay for dinner Saturday if you want. I usually bring more than I can eat. I will text you my phone number.

Chris, I will send a pm to you with my phone number.

-Andy

Just to confirm. Grumps and Lawlerclan, you guys are definitely going right? My brother is eexpecting to come as well just solo and join the kayaking fleet. That would give us 4 people. Is there a level of river that we wouldn't run. Al or Haggis, do you remember what the level was that one time we went? I sort of remember a 3.7 foot range.

Yep there abouts. Last I checked the Pine was at 3.08'. Anything above 4' would be hairy. You guys be safe out there.

Yep there abouts. Last I checked the Pine was at 3.08'. Anything above 4' would be hairy. You guys be safe out there.

I am checking the gage everyday. The projected level for Saturday is 4.7 feet. Is there a level that you feel would be unsafe?

http://water.weather.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?wfo=ctp&gage=cedp1

-Andy

It looks like 4.5 feet is still good. Swift currents and class III. Recovery of swimmers and their boats is very difficult at this level. We should keep watching the gage and see what the actual level is on Friday.

Last edited:
I have heard that once you start pushing close to 5' that the Pine is considered unsafe. With all the rain we are expecting in the next couple of days that gauge is going to climb. Definitely keep a weather eye on that level.

Thanks Mark. Can you give me the details on the shuttle service with the launch and take out locations?

Thanks again,
-Andy

Back
Top Bottom