2017 ARSES/AAV Pine Creek Float: May 6 & 7

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Join us May 6th and 7th, 2017 as we once again set sail on one of our favorite waterways as we get the paddling season underway. We're all set on launching our 'yaks into the splendor of the Pine Creek Gorge and if you are lookin' for some adventure you are welcome to join us. Pine Creek flows through the valleys of Tioga County in the north Central part of Pennsylvania and is considered one of the premier paddling waters of the State. Pristine Wilderness and scenic views dominate this trip while wildlife of all kinds can be seen along it's course.The plan is to meet up Friday night (May 5th) at the Stony Creek Campground who will provide shuttle service for the float on Saturday. You can make reservations for the weekend by contacting them at 1-570-724-3096 and telling them that you are a member of the ARSES paddling group. Here's the link to Stony Creek's webpage for directions and info.

Pine Creek is a nice float, with a good flow that usually means that you paddle more for steering than anything. But it will be a long paddle and stamina will be important. There are a few spots that are a bit challenging even for an experienced paddler especially the Owasee Rapids (Class III) for which there is no real portage around.. There are constant troughs to punch through and if you're in an open boat you will be wet about the whole day. I would not recommend this float with a canoe unless you are an experienced Class II canoeist nor would I think it was a good idea for young children to pilot their own boat. The water is swift and beaching can be problematic at times so getting to a drifting paddler can be delayed until the conditions are right for retrieval. Keep this in mind...once you're on the river there's no going back. If you have the fortitude and can handle the prospect of being wet and possibly going in the drink its all good. A realistic appraisal will aid in making the float a great trip. But the ARSES crew is always there to keep an eye out and to lend a hand to a needy swimmer...err...paddler.

IMG_0765.JPG
IMG_0764.JPG
IMG_0763.JPG

What to bring on an a Float trip and rules for participation.

1. A Boat… this will make your river run experience more enjoyable. And you will have less rock rash on your tush at the end of the trip. Kayaks and canoes are both good for this trip.

2. Paddles… and I like to bring a spare just in case one gets lost. Being up a creek without a paddle stinks. Not everyone needs a spare, just so there’s a few floating around the fleet.

3. Life Vest/PFD… Preferably one suited to canoeing and kayaking. No instant PFD's. BTW, wearing a life vest at all times while on the river will be mandatory no matter how well you can swim. Failure to wear all personal protective equipment (PFD and even helmet if required by the float boss) will result in you being asked to leave.

#4. A Hat… the reflecting sun on a river can get your neck or possibly your head a good burn. Cheap sunglasses that you won’t cry over if they get washed away are a good item to have also.

5. Dry Bags… for storing some spare clothes or a light jacket so that they stay dry. If you stuff them into the bow or stern of your boat they’ll add some additional floatation. Bringing a towel along isn't a bad idea either.

6. Lashings…rope, bungees, straps or what not. Lashing your stuff into your boat so that it will stay put in the event of a dunk saves a lot of hassle.

7. Safety Gear... Most states require paddlers to have a rescue whistle and rope throw bag on board their boat in case of unexpected swimming. Also it is wise to carry a paddling specific knife. While we won't insist on this if your planning on getting serious into paddling they are all good investments.

8. Food and Water…well you will get thirsty and hungry on an 8 hour float and we ain’t gonna feed you ours. Try and take a sandwich from an ARSES and you might get rolled around in the river son.

9. A Good Attitude… this will make any journey better. Just because it says float in the title doesn't mean you won’t be working your tuckus off paddling. Water levels will have a big say in the flavor of the float. It’s like Goldilocks…too much flow and it will be Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, too little flow and you’ll be doing some walking, and if it’s just right we’ll have a nice relaxing day with spurts of excitement. And remember once you start down the river there’s no going back. Unexpected stuff might happen but we are a helpful bunch and will aid you in any way we can. Oh, if you dunk or straddle a rock you’re gonna get teased but that’s just a sign we like you. The people we aren't wild about get the polite treatment. Complaining, whining and crying are not allowed on an ARSES/AAV trip. Save the drama for your therapist cause we don't take ourselves all that seriously and we ain't gonna take you seriously either.

10. Drinking or drugs while paddling, or any other field activity do not mix and will not be tolerated. Remember the trip is not only about you but getting to share in the camaraderie of like minded folks. Intoxication not only endangers your well being but that of those that might need to be called on to save your life. Please be respectful of those who will share the outdoors with you. Refusal to adhere to this request and you will be left to your own devices and asked to leave the group.

11. A PA DCNR Launch Permit for each of your boats. Thes can be found on the PA DCNR website for either one or two years worth of coverage. They’re just a few bucks and will save you some possible hassling by a Fish Warden. Here's the link for acquiring a launch permit.

Post if you want to hang with the AAV East crew and a bunch of ARSES and go for a little jaunt down the Pine.

Hughes is in. Is the 5th and 6th (Friday and Saturday) a misprint? Did you mean the 6th and 7th (Saturday and Sunday)? Either way, I am in.

You can add me to the list. Pine Creek is one of my favorites, great scenery!

-Andy

I have inventory that Friday night. Could likely make it up for Saturday launch depending on what time you leave. Put me down as a maybe.

List updated. We would be more than happy to wait for your arrival Chip on Saturday. I will contact StonyCreek Campground Friday and arrange the shuttle.

Sounds good. Let me know what time you are planning for the shuttle. I think it is 2.5- 3 hours up there from here. I'll likely not stay but run up to my cottage near Watkins Glen. Anyone is welcome if they are interested.

Just a reminder to you all...I have three spots for us to share down at the creek side tent sites but you will have to call StonyCreek to reserve. Tell them you are with me, Mark Collins, and they'll get you set up. Shuttle on Saturday is arranged too.

I am setup with the campground. Is anybody interested in doing a potluck on Saturday night? I do enjoy culinary experimentation on unsuspecting adventurist!

-Andy

I'm planning on being there, family in tow, not sure what I'm going to do for the float, I'm not sure I'm/we're up for 8 hours on the river, but I'll discuss. We have two 14' tandem kayaks, open in the middle, so I'm not sure how they'd fair.

What do we have to do to reserve a campsite?

I'm planning on being there, family in tow, not sure what I'm going to do for the float, I'm not sure I'm/we're up for 8 hours on the river, but I'll discuss. We have two 14' tandem kayaks, open in the middle, so I'm not sure how they'd fair.

What do we have to do to reserve a campsite?

You'll be getting wet for sure and could be swamping the boat on the Owasee...just ask Chris. Recovery in that section is hard for there is about a thousand yard stretch of standing waves and hydraulics to get through until you can get to shore. We've seen many open canoes and kayaks go full yard sale there.

As far as reservations everything you need to know is in the first post. Tell them you are with Mark Collins and the ARSES paddling group and they'll get you set up.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're bailing on the whole day kayaking event. But we'll be there to meet and enjoy the weekend. I know Chris is planning on kayaking.

If you are not in for kayaking, check out the fishing rules for the creeks around there. I remember some young campers the last time who had a nice string of trout.

-Andy

A hike down Stoney Creek would be awesome. There are many waterfalls and pools along its course supposedly.

Some of those pools and waterfalls might be kayak friendly, so I have heard.

-Andy

What time do I need to be there Saturday morning to catch the shuttle? I'm just kayaking on Saturday. After the trip I need to go do maintenance at my cabin.

Back
Top Bottom