2016 Tierra del Sol Desert Safari

bob91yj

Adventurist
Founding Member
I hadn't planned on going out this year. Just got talked in to it. Anyone else going?

I will be there. Going to be interesting as there is no official trail run this year. Hope to get some good exploring out there though.

Mike

Would be fun to attend this year since I haven't been but I've got to spend time with the fam since this month's trip ticket was spent at DRV. Take some pictures Bob :D

Gotta work on Saturday or I woulda thought about it. Looks like overland expo will be my next trip.

I read on the TDS site that the headquarters is actually going to be at Salton City this year. It's a shame that after 50+ years of an event, the BLM or whoever, is screwing with the TDS folks.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that Truckhaven is still open for OHV's, and there will be a wash (holler/gulley/ditch for you non-SoCaler's) that non-street legal vehicles can take to get to the headquarters area.

We'll most likely be camped by the old cement factory north of Marina Park Dr, on the Truckhaven side. We'll be part of a larger group, always room for one more. We'll all have our Jeeps out there, one of the guys has an old school Foreign Jeep (FJ), at least it's got American Iron under the hood, Chevy 350. We're a bunch of old rock crawlers, been wheeling Truckhaven for years, some of us for decades. Even if you bypass the obstacles, we're great entertainment.

A few shots of Machelle "getting her some" in our rock Jeep.

IM000257.jpg

IM0002581.jpg

IM000261.jpg

IM000269.jpg

IM0002701.jpg

IM000271.jpg

She drove out of that little fix!

I won't have that Jeep out there, we'll be in the '05 for this trip, I go a little easier on it. Truckhaven is a great place to test breakover angles, and tipping points. If you get stuck, the ground is usually very soft, you can use the shovel you've been hauling around for all this time, see if it works! If you start getting tippy, stop, put a strap on it (the vehicle:cool:), add a couple of fat guys to help hold the vehicle if needed, and drive through it.

Sometimes just one fat guy hanging off of a bumper works too.:rolleyes:

lcirfathersday14015_zps423ccced.jpg

(Big Bear, not Truckhaven in that shot)

Awesome pics Bob.
Just a note on issues with OWSVRA,The Center for Biological Diversity submitted a petition with the California Department of Fish & Game in March 2015 to request the Flat Tailed Horned Lizard be included as an endangered species. Fish & Game declined to add, but a required year long study gives the FTHL same rights as if it is endangered.
Special use permits like for TDS are on hold for one year...above from CAL 4 wheel
these folks just don't want us there...apparently public land isn't public (to them)

Back
Top Bottom