2016 SoCal Mountain Rendezvous: Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cooking with my @TemboTusk skottle. I've had it for over 9 months and haven't used it yet. Figured I'd better use it before I show up at MVR and look like a bigger idiot than I'm sure I already will.

View attachment 23677
You will find yourself using it at home as well as in camp.. which reminds me I need to pack mine up since it's all together and ready to cook on my back deck right now.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I may lead a trail run on Saturday if anyone is interested (is this ok?). I am thinking Gold Mountain, Jacoby Canyon, Cactus Flats and Heartbreak Ridge/Pontiac Loop.
Not only is it ok, it is encouraged. Feel free to start up a new thread and get it going

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Got a call from Murphy. Tires are shot, wouldn't be safe, not in a position to pop for new rubber. I'm out. :(

Tire rotation yesterday revealed 800 miles, hell-bent for leather across the desert, either side of prickly, mountain trail running would be a serious roll of the dice.

The spare needs half a pound to balance, the front right is losing its fight with old ball joints, a third is crowning, and all of the above have the kind of sidewall acne that reminds you not to bother with the replacement certificates next time.

I need about a grand worth of new rubber, 4,000 miles before the big 180k timing belt service, but before I can spend that money, I need to silence the almost year-old box of brand new alignment hardware and spare tire cover now openly mocking me from its high horse out in the garage.

In short: tires are shot, wouldn't be safe. And now I have $2,000 worth of repairs and maintenance due on my $2,500 truck before the next oil change.

Yay.

Got a call from Murphy. Tires are shot, wouldn't be safe, not in a position to pop for new rubber. I'm out. :(

Tire rotation yesterday revealed 800 miles, hell-bent for leather across the desert, either side of prickly, mountain trail running would be a serious roll of the dice.

The spare needs half a pound to balance, the front right is losing its fight with old ball joints, a third is crowning, and all of the above have the kind of sidewall acne that reminds you not to bother with the replacement certificates next time.

I need about a grand worth of new rubber, 4,000 miles before the big 180k timing belt service, but before I can spend that money, I need to silence the almost year-old box of brand new alignment hardware and spare tire cover now openly mocking me from its high horse out in the garage.

In short: tires are shot, wouldn't be safe. And now I have $2,000 worth of repairs and maintenance due on my $2,500 truck before the next oil change.

Yay.
While I enjoyed the way you told the story, I don't enjoy the fact that you have to bow out. I was looking forward to talking with you about some ideas...

a few of us carpooling together have small kids with us. on saturday after breakfast we are talking about taking 2n10 and 2n17 trails to take the kids to the lake to the swim beach. others are welcome to join in. should be a fun drive. not difficult and you can relax by the water during the day before heading back to camp for dinner. according to my maps the trails lead directly from our campsite to the lake.

a few of us carpooling together have small kids with us. on saturday after breakfast we are talking about taking 2n10 and 2n17 trails to take the kids to the lake to the swim beach. others are welcome to join in. should be a fun drive. not difficult and you can relax by the water during the day before heading back to camp for dinner. according to my maps the trails lead directly from our campsite to the lake.

Just a warning the swim beach is closed do to the low lake level. Some people swim on the north shore near stanfield cutoff, I am not sure if it is a legal swim area, but from my understanding it is frowned upon.

Just a warning the swim beach is closed do to the low lake level. Some people swim on the north shore near stanfield cutoff, I am not sure if it is a legal swim area, but from my understanding it is frowned upon.
buzz killington.png
(not you , personally... the individuals who closed the watering hole)

I may lead a trail run on Saturday if anyone is interested (is this ok?). I am thinking Gold Mountain, Jacoby Canyon, Cactus Flats and Heartbreak Ridge/Pontiac Loop.
Let me know. Celt and I are thinking of Heartbreak Ridge and Pontiac Sluice in the morning so he can get back to cook.

While I enjoyed the way you told the story, I don't enjoy the fact that you have to bow out. I was looking forward to talking with you about some ideas...
If only all my writing was so good.

Yeah, I'm pretty bummed about it too. Without Chazz or my family with me, I was looking forward to going wherever the stories lead this time; enjoying the opportunity to deep dive and really get to know people.

Truly disappointing.

Are there any open spots for this event at this time?
Would love to grab one if possible.

dr1665 just bowed out. You can have his spot if you go to the OP and follow the RSVP instructions (link there is dead but everything else applies)

well the swim hole being closed is a real bummer. gotta figure out something else to keep the kids entertained.

ok after some more digging around it seems that you are allowed to go swimming in the lake but must stay within 50feet of the shore. anyone else have more info on this?

So I'll be an early/late arrival.....I'll be on the mountain tomorrow but I'm crashing at Linda's and hopefully spending the rest of the week hiking, paddleboarding, drinking heavily, and generally forgetting about life....and then I'll drive Linda's Tiger up to the event while she follows in her Jeep, either late Friday or early Saturday morning depending on her schedule.

Dave, I'm leaving this command decision up to you....but I don't think there is a need to hold a camp spot for me when I am not bringing my own vehicle, and will be crashing either in the Tiger guest bed or a tent outside. Unless the spots are small and you can't fit a Tiger and a Jeep in one location. If you can, then feel free to open my spot up to someone on the wait list.

Let me know. Celt and I are thinking of Heartbreak Ridge and Pontiac Sluice in the morning so he can get back to cook.

I am thinking of running Gold Mountain first as the route would flow better, and after Heartbreak we can take 2N01 out to the 38 fairly close to camp. What kind of time would you have? I am dealing with some battery issues right now, but am 90% sure I will make it. Just look for me Friday in camp.

Last edited:
If we are allowed to swim, my kids would love to go. I don't think there would be a problem with them going past 50' they are pretty young.

ok after some more digging around it seems that you are allowed to go swimming in the lake but must stay within 50feet of the shore. anyone else have more info on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom