2015 Toyota Tundra Arctica

I have been busy with work stuff since Expo, but today I made a little progress.
I was always going for more of an old school look, on the lights, with new technology, of course, so my next thought was to get the round bezels for the lights. This makes the light look bigger in size, which more matches the lighting output, plus it fills the area between the lights and rounds everything out

Here is old look

New look

Old look

new look

I have had a few folks ask about pictures of the new lowers , so I thought I would post a few shots

I obviously have removed my swaybar. I can barely tell it isn't there with this suspension. I see no need to put it back on

Next up

Limited time has caused a delay in actual progress, but I managed to build an enclosure, over my electrical system in the bed. It just looks a little more "finished" this way.

Before

After

I used 1/4 inch MDF with support built in and covered it with speaker carpet. it's close to the look of the other carpet, but not exact. I think it will be ok though

I have been holding off actually mounting the Bedslide, until the electrical phase of the project was complete. I just didn't want to work around the actual frame of it, while working in close quarters

This has been Driving me nuts, since I bought my truck. I never understood why Toyota didn't do something to the embossed emblems . I wanted to do something custom, but for now, this was the best solution I could find. it's actually a vendor, that does work for Toyota . I looked on fleabay and didn't like what I saw, so I ponied up for the high dollar stuff

These are considered black Chrome and they actually are high quality

Well. ..after several months of planning figuring, changing plans and all the other things that goes with building something, Its finally to the stage where almost should be. :) The wrap and the Roof Top Tent, would have been the final pieces

My goal was to get in a SEMA booth , but fell short. Not for the fact that it isn't worthy, but because it's difficult to be an independent builder and get recognized. Corporate, most of the times, trumps individual builds. I was given the best possible endorsement, from the head of marketing, at Toyota, so much so, that he sent an email, with all of my information and pictures, to the SEMA planning team. The direct quote was " We need to have this truck in our booth, this year" Unfortunately, big corporations have many divisions and teams that don't always listen to other departments and make their own decisions

It wasn't the only build snubbed and it was more of a corporate build that also got good hopes. I could have campaigned more, to get in someone elses booth, but then If Toyota said "we want you" I didn't want to drop a different commitment. Toyota is notoriously late in making final decisions and this year was no different. It was late August when the "no" given. By that time, booths were filled.

In retrospect, I should have campaigned harder for another booth spot and also bought an outside spot early on. I would have just had to give the "I'm sorry" speech . This would have insured I would have been somewhere . Lessons learned, for sure.

Arctica, will still get the exposure I wanted for sponsors and from media coverage. TCT Magazine invited me to a photo shoot, the day after SEMA, in the Las Vegas desert. There are also requests to be in booths, for other events. I even got a prospective interested party, that would like me to build a truck , with them. This has a direct impact on many Toyota's. After I looked over my truck at Off=Road Expo his comment was. "it's obvious , you know how to build a nice truck". So all is not lost.

I will attend SEMA on Friday.

The plan is still to wrap it, so I can see my project all the way through, but it's north of $3000.00. This could be money I use to build my wheeling truck, to be trailer ed behind my Tundra. I probably will still get the RTT

In conclusion, I love my truck and how it turned out. My reality did not stray too far away from what my vision was, so I consider it a success. I get twisted neckers and comments, about it daily. It rides and performs awesome. It will take me to many places besides the branded carpets and the trailers so many travel on.

I will still continue to build Arctica, until I think its far as I want it.
Thank You,, for all of your nice comments and support !!!

I also want to thank all the awesome companies, that believed in me and the project itself.

Just back from Vegas and SEMA. I actually got in Toyota's booth for the afternoon, on Saturday, then did the Cruise afterwards. TCT had the photo shoot on Saturday, then I got word that one of the Las Vegas groups were going out to a dry lake bed, about 30 minutes outside of the city on Sunday morning. I joined in for some fun.
Teaser pic of one of my speed runs.
One of these I hit 122 mph verified by GPS . The speedo was at about 111, but the tires add 10% . I could have actually gone faster, but that was a quick glance, then I had to start finding the brakes . I suppose if I decided to find the very beginning of the lakebed, I could have found top speed, but this felt pretty good . I did tune up the bypasses, before I did this.. They were set pretty soft from the highway. Not many places to actually . let it rip, without law consequences, so this was a treat

I am beginning the install of my Rocksmasher, 2 way air system.
It's a universal kit that you can adapt to any truck including the Tundra.
Typical installation would have all the control features under the hood, since some actually mount compressors there. I will be doing it slightly different and hard line the compressed air into the system from the bed. You can just use a CO2 tank as well Its just a typical comressor quick disconnect, to air up, if you don't hardpipe a compressor in That valve is to the right, on the bulkhead with one shrader valve

Here is what the system looks like before install
I have some additional stuff besides the universal, which can also be acquired from Rocksmasher.
The gauge is and some fittings are extra. You can also use just a tire pressure gauge for pressure checks

There are 5 tire shrader valves. One for each corner and one on the the bulkhead for pressure checks.

One pressure valve (Brass) , that is adjustable to whatever you air up to. Even if the compressor keeps going, the valve will just blow off the over pressure until you stop it

The quick connect fittings on the left are to attach to the corners with some quarter inch hose, not shown in the picture .
I have one extra valve , with fittings to go into the compressor
Plenty of 3/8th air line already protected with convoluted tubing. Then plenty of 1/4 air line to plumb into the vehicle.

T's and connectors to make all the connections and even a plastic pipe cutter for clean cuts

All fittings are high quality
The fittings are laid out in the schematic, that it will be plumbed in.
I need to acquire one more 3/8th tee fitting that will replace the 1/4 inch that the blue cap is sitting on .

The idea is that install the valves in the fenderwells, that also have protective slip on caps. You can quickly connect all of your tire hoses, that are about 30 inches, each then air up and air down, right from where you place the bulkhead, either under the hood, or in my case in the bed. You always air up evenly and always air down evenly. Since there are schrader valves, you could also air up or down another vehicle, 2 tires at a time . Or a trailer too . You can make this system work for as many tires as you have. Even rv's and semi's use them . You just need to add hardware to expand it
I will write a more detailed post when I actually install it. Then do some real world air sessions, to show you all how it works. At first it sounds like lots of fussing with hoses and stuff, but actually it will make this task much faster and you can enjoy talking with others or having a cold beverage, while doing the task.
Here is a link to the system
http://2wayair.com/

I still haven't had time to finish the air system, primarily because I want to build a control panel on on the back end of my control box area.

I have a few pieces of the puzzle that will almost complete my lighting system. I have been waiting for these since July, when I saw the first prototype at the FJ Cruisers Summit. some delays on manufacturing caused some delay, but here they are. Baja Designs S8's
20" of the rear rack in amber combination pattern and 30" for the hood bulge, or grill. At this point I think it will end up in the grill. The housing is bigger than the opening and would cause lots of custom fab work.
The scallop housing and the back lit feature make this a really cool addition
The lenses for for the 30", will be switched to amber too
DB Customs is working on a grill design that will incorporate the new design. I may have a pro grill up for grabs if this works out the way I think it will. Plan be would be to incorporate it into the pro grill

20"
S8, 20" Driving/Combo LED Light Bar

30"
S8, 30" Driving/Combo LED Light Bar

The next weekend I went ahead and mounted it. It was already pre wired. I just had to make a bracket and use the track system to mount the bracket

A daytime shot of the backlit feature I had to ship the light out immediately after installing it to Dbcustomz, to fit in a grill . I actually sent him both lights. One for my new grill and the 20" so he could use it to fit in a Tacoma grill

Wheels of progress have slowed with business stuff and delays, until last week. One of the projects that has been hanging out there is the front grill project that will house my 30" S8 . I have had that light in my office for an eternity, it seems, but I finally have something to show now.

The idea was to create a grill that will accommodate the light, along with adding a little "unique" , to the project. DBCustomz, http://dbcustomz.com/ has been great to work with . A hard working guy that created some unique products and now it is beginning to ramp up.

Here is the direction I went with the grill .

The base grill is made , then the overlay is a piece of aluminum, water jetted, with this specific font and identity

Here it is raw

The S8's shape was scalloped into the upper portion of the grill. Then the overlay was done with the name of my truck , of course . I picked a special font to give it the look I wanted. I also asked for it to show it was Supercharged, then he added the little man on the left, blowing air. I liked it.

It arrived Thursday Evening, but my truck was suppose to be displayed at the Super Cross Event in the pits on Saturday . Needless to say , since it was a custom install and the first one off, it took Friday and early Saturday to finish it up. Here is the direction I went with it

I love the back lit feature

A little montage, to show the different scenarios.

The fact that it accomplished getting my light, where I thought it should be, then added some flare to the project, was a bonus . The back lit feature is tied into the back lit circuit on the rear S8. I feel like it came out better than I pictured it. In the panic to get it done for Saturday and also wanting to see how the color layout would look. I painted it. When I decide if this is how I want to look, it will be removed and powder coated. I may anodize the aluminum face piece. I just don't know yet

There have been some questions about some of my choices

Why Eezi-awn over Front Runner, LabRak etc.?
I chose EezI-Awn because I have a good working relationship with Equipt Outfitters, http://www.equipt1.com/. Paul May is a household name in the industry and with his guidance and knowledge base, we were able to plan a custom install that turned out to be the perfect fit for my situation. Features seems to be similar, from one company to the other. The important features were, versatility in mounting solutions, for lights accessories and also the actual mounting to the cap. Considering I have no RTT yet I did wing it a bit, but I think I have all the bases covered, for most any one I choose .

What are the dimensions of that rack?

86.5" X 55" From your question, it's obvious you do your homework well. These were the exact questions I had initially, because everything really hinges on placement . I factored in many things and went back and forth with a few of them. Important to me was fitting a RTT, plus having the ability to have some of the forward rack free, to mount lights etc. The width was what really got me thinking. I believe the other width available was 50". The form and function collided with this decision.
Do I make it more narrow, so it's more streamline on the roof?
Will the tent overtake the width of the rack and is that important?
I also had to consider how my lights would be mounted and make sure they functioned, like i expected them to.

After much thought on all of this, I felt that the width of the rack needed to extended a little further out from the cap, so the lighting would not loose the entire field of the beam. I thought the width would still fit within the form, which although secondary, it still had to look right. Then, after ordering it, I second guessed this until I actually waa able to install it. I think it came out fine, especially with the light install.

How far forward does it over hang the cab?

Another important decision . Factors I included in this decision were.
Will the rack impede, the performance or vision, of the sunroof in any way?
How will the light project from the roof?

The rack is actually 18" forward from the back lip of the truck cab.

These questions were answered with complete success. No sun roof problems, no extra noise that I can seem to relate to it and the type of light and the way they are, positioned are actually ideal for performance. I wanted it to be behind the sunroof, hoping it would also not create too much wind noise. Baja Designs and I http://www.bajadesigns.com/products...road-led-lighting/xl-racer-edition-led-lights planned out the entire system , to give me complete coverage over 170 degrees. The lights on the roof are called the Baja Designs Racer series, that are extremely long pencil beams. This was a big win. I even have the lights in a slight fan formation, to get coverage way out and a little wider than the truck. When I designed my FJ Cruiser lighting system, I went for the same goals, so when designing this one. It was pretty easy to get that covered. This system may even have better coverage than the FJ . Each of the (6) racers on the roof, are 4300 lumens each, of very specific usable light . I have them set up on 3 circuits, banks of 2 inners, intermediate and wide coverage. I can pick and choose

I wanted it to be behind the sunroof, hoping it would also not create too much wind noise. Success on both counts,

How high did you mount it over the cap and how much clearance did that yield at the cab?

Interesting question

The rack came with 2 pedestal height. I think there may have been a slight mistake in shipping that ended up working out just fine. There are 2 or 3 different heights. I actually received 4 of them at the lower height and the other 4 were at the higher position. At first I install the 4 high ones and then realized the lower ones were not even close. I called Paul and he was going to ship out 4 of the higher ones. I told him to hold of, so I tried the lower ones and liked the height . I just gave a little lower profile. I actually took the higher ones and cut them down the fit with the lower ones. Its a little close and on hard articulation I can get pretty close, with the body flex, but I can adjust them slightly higher, then put a lock bolt in to keep it correct, but I want to investigate if I need to to this yet . If I see it is just too close with a RTT on I can just get the larger ones and call it a day.

There has been a lull in the action with my build. Business is crazy, so truck time hasn't been there. I wasn't settled with the rear suspension. it just seemed like it was too low. A little sag may have occurred as well . Without rebuilding the springs again., or using blocks, I decided to try out the coachbuilder shackles. After talking to David at Ekstrom and sending him a few pics we came up with a plan. 3+ Coachbuilder shackles and poly bushings, driveline spacers, Steering kit, 2 sets of shims for a little boost on the front. I may only use one set for .50 inch raise, we will see . I will post up pics after last weekends install, but I can already tell the difference in how planted the rear feels with the shackles. Love it
Here are a few pics of the products
I am impressed with the thought put into the packaging. says something about the products you are using

Sexy billet for the front. That will go on this week sometime

I will decide if shims are in order, by the height from back to front form the shackle install

here is a rough idea of the improvement
The before picture seems to be exaggerated, but maybe it was actually sitting that way or the driveway caused it to look worse than it was

We did our annual road trip to Colorado for the FJ Cruisers Summit

But then.... I wanted to take a side trip to Moab for a specific trail.
I did many searches on the internet to find a full size crewmax type truck on the precipice, at the Top of the World Trail . I couldn't find one..
So I thought maybe I should take that challenge to see if I could park mine up there. Maybe there have been others, but I couldn't find proof of it so ,,
After about 3.5 hours of technical driving to get up there, ..

Considering how heavy these things, especially mine, I got spotted up on the rock and stayed inside the truck, with my hands at 10-2, playing the scenario in my mind of hearing the rock begin to crack and how fast I could reverse to get off the rock :eek:

The most interesting part was the trip back down. Instead of going the way we came I decided to try the back side. It was almost mistake, because it was a lot harder and much more careful spotting was necessary . It took almost 4.5 hours to get back down

This trip will make print in TCT Magazine next issue

This was a difficult task. I don't know that I would recommend doing this with a trail limo ;)

Next project, up to bat

I have been bugged by the TRD Dual exhaust exit pipes for a long time. I just don't like how it looks back there.
I have been working on figuring out how to have them redone
I went to Apache Muffler and first decided I couldn't pull the pipes to the corner like I wanted to, especially the way I wanted them to drop, so I was just going to exit straight back like all the pipes I see, but try to dump them down, from above the bumper line.
I searched the internet for something I liked and did a little figuring under the truck .
Then I found a way!!
I'm kind of an exhaust snob

Before

After

The Coachbuilder 3+ shackles were actually a big factor, why this would work out

There is actually enough room between the back near the shackle to slide the pipe between, without it getting crushed or even touching the spring.

I would be surprised if I ever had a noise from it

Here is the routing

This is the cleaner way I wanted to see it

The guys at Apache Muffler in Mesa AZ, are really good . I have gone to them for years with my projects

I have done some other modifications after this. I will detail them out another day :)

Thank you for looking my build over

But then.... I wanted to take a side trip to Moab for a specific trail.
I did many searches on the internet to find a full size crewmax type truck on the precipice, at the Top of the World Trail . I couldn't find one..
So I thought maybe I should take that challenge to see if I could park mine up there. Maybe there have been others, but I couldn't find proof of it so ,,
After about 3.5 hours of technical driving to get up there, ..

Considering how heavy these things, especially mine, I got spotted up on the rock and stayed inside the truck, with my hands at 10-2, playing the scenario in my mind of hearing the rock begin to crack and how fast I could reverse to get off the rock :eek:

Great photos! There have been plenty of full sizes up there, I don't think that rock is going anywhere. Driving up to it though, you can't see shit. Made me nervous as hell, especially with a fullsize. Can't see over the hood. Going down that back side is loads of fun though isn't it. :)

Wow, nice work.
Thank you

Great photos! There have been plenty of full sizes up there, I don't think that rock is going anywhere. Driving up to it though, you can't see shit. Made me nervous as hell, especially with a fullsize. Can't see over the hood. Going down that back side is loads of fun though isn't it. :)

I guess I just don't get why I can't find pictures of any

Nice build. I love Baja Designs.
Have you considered getting a larger alternator? With two batteries and all the electrical load you've placed on your rig you may need it.

Back
Top Bottom