2005 BMW R1200GS Air/Oil cooled

Greg

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Found this at Mortons BMW in Fredericksburg for $6500 and 53k miles on it. Saw it on their website and went in just to look. Walked out with another bike. Glad I snagged it when I did because it would have been gone if I had waited for another 30 min. Someone came in to buy it as I started filling out the paperwork.

Still keeping the Ural. Love taking it out but I find that there are limitations to a Ural that I need a modern bike in the garage as well. Out of curiosity I asked if they'd take one in as a trade and the answer is "No". Floor space in the showroom and maintenance were the reasons given. I suspect you'll get that answer from any dealer other than a Ural dealer so you're in for a potential long term commitment when you get one. In Soviet Russia, motorcycle owns you.

05_r1200gs_ZL78986.jpg

It's definitely a good thing to have a modern bike in the stable if you've got an older classic, especially one that has limitations and needs more tending to than most. It's something I've come to realize as well but that day has yet to come.

A great pick up for a great price as well.

I've been going over it in the garage. It's already set up with a locking mount for a Garmin Zumo 595. Need to get the Zumo though. Just got the mount. Tucked under the seat there's plugs for what looks like Gerbing heated clothing plus a USB charging port.

So today was an Interstate endurance test. 10 hours later after a late start it's back in the garage with 606.5 additional miles on it and my butt isn't hurting. The stock seat is fairly comfortable on the 1200GS and opposed to the 800GS. Cross country trip to watch the Totality in Idaho is feasible.

IMG_20170325_203225133.jpg

Some late night wrenching. Replaced the sheet metal rear brake master cylinder guard with something heaver and added potentiometer guard

IMG_20170406_210753688_HDR.jpg
IMG_20170406_210613802.jpg

Finally added some engine protection. Having some fun checking out some back roads in VA. I really need to get new tires. After 6k miles they are nearly done.

Sheep skin seat cover , will give you a few more hours
it will eliminate the Monkey Butt
P.S nice bike

I was thinking heidenau k60's since this has become my daily commuter as well. They'll probably last me until the beginning of Aug. Then maybe continental tkc80's for the trip out to ID.

Ran the k60's in the past and loved them. Fantastic tread life and good all around grip.

Check out the Shinko 804/805's. I've run a couple sets now (ran the k60's previously on the Super Tenere). I found the k60's to have 'meh' tread life of ~6k miles (rear), and the handling got squirrely as they wore. Add to that, they are SUPER stiff, so tire changes are difficult, and the offroad grip is poor, bordering on scary, and I can't recommend that tire for more than starbucks. Compare to the 804/805, you get similar wear of ~6k miles per rear, but with excellent offroad AND onroad grip, more predictable handling throughout the life, easy tire changes, and best of all you can buy a set for less than the price of a k60 rear.

Photo is after 60 roosty, rocky offroad miles of plaing "worlds biggest dirtbike"

tenere 804_805.jpg

Yeah, no kidding. They're cheap enough you might as well try them. My bet? You'll stop thinking about that set of k60's! I've not found the performance lacking in any conditions, and I ride them all.

Disclaimer: they are as loud as they look on the highway! Still less than wind noise, engine noise, etc, so really a non-issue, but you'll definitely hear it coming off a set of slicks.
Disclaimer part deux: NO amount of tire will mask the fact that this is a 600lb bike! Just sayin'.....

Too late on the K60's but they'll wear out before August and I'll need something for ID.

Sawtooth National Forest
VIRB0003-2.jpg

Fossil Butte
VIRB0034-1.jpg

Fossil Butte (accidental photo while taking a break sitting on the dirt with the helmet next to me )
VIRB0034-2.jpg

Sawtooth National Forest (I think)
VIRB0034-3.jpg

Grand Teatons
VIRB0038-1.jpg

Blacktail Plateau Yellowstone
VIRB0041-1.jpg

And yeah. Then there were a few of these days
VIRB0033-1.jpg

And LOTs of this.

Last edited:
Back