1st gen Montero build

Great job! You've really turned that truck around into a really functional adventure rig and it's a real eye-catcher to boot.

Great job! You've really turned that truck around into a really functional adventure rig and it's a real eye-catcher to boot.

THANKS! It's getting there, there is still a lot to do still. I'm wanting to do some storage for easy getting to things, without needing to pull everything out. I need to put pencil to paper and get to building.

What everyone else said :) Your Monty is looking pretty darn good and capable. I've always loved Montero's as I was debating between the Xterra and Montero when I purchased my rig. Keep it up and I know we all can't wait to see the "finished" product.

I dig it! The 1st and 2nd gen Monty's are cool trucks. It seems they are often forgotten since they have such a small aftermarket following in North America. It's nice to see you taking the time to build it right. I sold my 3rd Gen Pajero earlier this year... with the lack of a frame and soccer mom styling, it couldn't come close to the character of yours.

Moving your build to import SUV's.

What everyone else said :) Your Monty is looking pretty darn good and capable. I've always loved Montero's as I was debating between the Xterra and Montero when I purchased my rig. Keep it up and I know we all can't wait to see the "finished" product.

Thanks! Sorry just noticed your reply. I will post as things come in and together.

I dig it! The 1st and 2nd gen Monty's are cool trucks. It seems they are often forgotten since they have such a small aftermarket following in North America. It's nice to see you taking the time to build it right. I sold my 3rd Gen Pajero earlier this year... with the lack of a frame and soccer mom styling, it couldn't come close to the character of yours.

Moving your build to import SUV's.

Yeah parts are kind of hard to find here. Most replacment parts I've had to get out of Australia or Japan.
I wasn't really sure on where to post this up at, thanks for putting it in the correct area.

Great looking build. You obviously have great taste in music as well :lol

Keep up the good work!

Great looking build. You obviously have great taste in music as well :lol

Keep up the good work!

Yeah I went overboard with decals Haha. I use to hate them on vehicles but... Hi my name is Johnny and I'm a addict.

There's just something about the gen 1s, ya know? Yours has come a long way. Kudos.

If you haven't heard yet, Mark's Adapters down under in Australia makes a wicked awesome 4L gearset. Probably set you back what you paid for the truck, but really, really makes a difference.

My SWB 2.6 had a set. Something like a 45% reduction. I could just about walk next to it at idle in first, but what really sold me was the day I followed a double locked XJ up a loose, 40-ish° incline. Rocínante wasn't as smooth as the XJ, but we made it. Better yet, we simply idled down in first without so much as touching the brakes. SOLD.

There's just something about the gen 1s, ya know? Yours has come a long way. Kudos.

If you haven't heard yet, Mark's Adapters down under in Australia makes a wicked awesome 4L gearset. Probably set you back what you paid for the truck, but really, really makes a difference.

My SWB 2.6 had a set. Something like a 45% reduction. I could just about walk next to it at idle in first, but what really sold me was the day I followed a double locked XJ up a loose, 40-ish° incline. Rocínante wasn't as smooth as the XJ, but we made it. Better yet, we simply idled down in first without so much as touching the brakes. SOLD.

Awesome! I will give them a look, thanks a lot. I need to make a REAL game plan as to exactly where I want to go with her. Right now she's my boys, mostly my youngest one and my adventure rig.
Heck I come outside today before school he was play driving her. She is my dd right now as I sold my f150 supercrew, but I don't want to rack up miles and have nothing to show for it other than getting back and forth to work. So I need to get on the ball and find a new dd.
I have a 2" body lift right now but I really need to pull the trigger on a OME set up or, I did find a company CCS that will make me some 2" lift coils and add weight set it up if I give them my load weight $225 front $218 rear.

You know what would make a fun DD? A Colt. Scoop up an old Colt, swap in a box-stock 4G63T, call it a day. 220hp roller skate and 30-40mpg.

At least, that's how I'd roll if I had the extra cash. :)

Well my new mod the the Monty (the bottom one). I think I gained 20hp and 8" of travel just by adding this. Now these are by my sensitive buttdyno so exact figures might be +-1. And I have American Adventurist to thank for all the gains.
IMG_20151203_104554.jpg

You know what would make a fun DD? A Colt. Scoop up an old Colt, swap in a box-stock 4G63T, call it a day. 220hp roller skate and 30-40mpg.

At least, that's how I'd roll if I had the extra cash. :)

See that's the problem "MONEY" always getting in the way. If I had the cash I would have lot of toys.
But I've done some cars and I'm not really there anymore. I like the view from a truck or suv, being able to see what's going on ahead of me. And I need the room to haul sheet goods as I work with metal coming in at 4'x10' and 20' tube,pipe,unistrut. So a car is out of the question.

Well got a little bored at the shop today, so time to raid the scrap barrels. I wanted some drawer but I'm sure the heck not going to pay $1000+ for them, so ordered up some full extension slides and got to work. Made up some drawers and cut my sides, top,back blah blah blah. Went to depot on lunch and grabbed up some toolbox liner, and pulls. Well here is how it is until my slides show up Tue.

Attachments

• IMG_20151218_113817.jpg
    IMG_20151218_113817.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20151218_113836.jpg
    IMG_20151218_113836.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_20151218_113744.jpg
    IMG_20151218_113744.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20151218_140033.jpg
    IMG_20151218_140033.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_20151218_160043.jpg
    IMG_20151218_160043.jpg
    1,016.2 KB · Views: 74
Nice! Nothing like some good ole fashioned DIY drawers. It's quite fun fitting and building, especially when you've got a shop with all the tools and a well stocked scrap bin. I'll miss it when I leave my current gig...

Oh yeah man I love this gig. Except for the wife being my boss and in charge of the money lol. I don't let my guys trash and thing. Stainless is too dang expensive and aluminum is getting that way also.
I try to do as much as I can myself or swap labour with friends. Same way we build our bikes everybody jumps in.

Got my Blue Sea 5026 block in yesterday, about time. Time to start the install.

Attachments

• IMG_20151222_082452.jpg
    IMG_20151222_082452.jpg
    790.1 KB · Views: 56
Well while on break time I whipped this mount up. The plan is to counter sink it into a hidden panel on the rear drawer system I'm building. I need to order up the correct size rubber grommets to run the wire thru the stainless steel mount.

Attachments

• IMG_20151222_152108.jpg
    IMG_20151222_152108.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 60
  • IMG_20151222_152058.jpg
    IMG_20151222_152058.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 59
  • IMG_20151222_160233.jpg
    IMG_20151222_160233.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 73
Well been slow going. I'm pretty slammed at the paying job fabing racks for a install I have to do in Orlando in a couple weeks. But I did make time to play around with my electronic panel for the back of the rig. Got my 2 Blue sea breakers today and my voltmeter in also, so I mounted them up. The plan is to Fab up some wire chase for the sides to cover all wires and give it a cleaner look. Still need to pick out the batteries. Not as easy as it would seem, as I'm sure y'all know that all to well. Or maybe it's just me over thinking it. But I don't want to waste money on two new batteries that are not up to the job. Anyways here is a picture as of lunch time today.
Also got in a fight with some stainless steel, as you can see stainless steel 1 Johnny 0

Attachments

• IMG_20151228_151937.jpg
    IMG_20151228_151937.jpg
    683.8 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20151228_143150.jpg
    IMG_20151228_143150.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 70
Back
Top Bottom