1leg F250 Tow and Camping rig

1leg

Adventurist
Founding Member
Well it's been awhile. I just got my new to me 2001 F250 CCSB 4wd/auto 7.3 diesel. This truck will not be a daily driver. It will be a tow truck for the drag race truck that is currently being built in my garage. I will also be hitting the trail and be camping mostly out at El Mirage dry lake bed for the land speed racing.

20161231_162530.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome truck! Looks just like my 2005, except obviously you have a different motor. The white on gold is my favorite color scheme of all time. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the truck!

Seriously? No pics of the race vehicle?:cool:

I know squat about Ford's other than the 7.3 is supposed to be the hot ticket. If you've never had a slide in before, I think you"ll be surprised how often you use it. We get about 30 nights a year with ours.

Drag truck in process, Its a little further along then this now. But still a ton of work to go. It will take me a couple of years.

13423947_10206553481342546_8369882703199189347_n.jpg

So, I got some work done today. I removed the tuner that was installed. Appears to be a 9-position chip, doing a little research looks to be a Van Aaken chip.
See this thread
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/10...ng-module.html
I may keep in in a box somewhere just in case I want to retune it someday.

I pulled both battery’s out to do the chip removal and clean them up, they are both about 5 years old and need replacing. Likely the reason for slow cranking. I put the battery charger on them while I worked on a few other items maybe two yours didn't seem to help. I really need to get a battery tester

The truck would not start at first I only got white smoke that smelled like diesel. So I'm thinking, great I have to do a no start thread. So, I removed the blue tooth obd adaptor for the torqueprp app. I had it hooked up to get some readings. Then I go out hook the battery charger to the passenger side battery. Wait about 5-10 minutes. Looked at the ICP sensor realize it's not plugged in (I did not unplug it), so I plugged it in. Go try to start and she fires right up cranks a little slow still. I hurry up to plug in the blue tooth and after about a minute of trying to get torque pro hooked up the engine stumbles I give it a little pedal and reach down and pull the blue tooth. The engine clears right up. I turn it off and hook up my regular obd2 scanner. Start the truck runs great after about 3-5 minutes of running in the driveway the check engine light goes out. So I took it for a spin, I Stop to and add 15 gallon to the tank then take it up the freeway about 3-4 miles. The truck runs great on the highway, ride is super nice compared to my old 1989 Suburban 4x4 with a 350. and the power is nice. Very little smoke on acceleration.

The truck has some noises when driving around town that I will need to address, need to check bushing, ball joints and shocks. The tires are 315/75-16s on the stock rims they rub bad. Going to go to a 255/85-16 BFG Muds on the stock rims. Truck also appears to have a level kit or a small lift.

I also cleaned the K&N air filter, It is a K&N cold air intake and the filter needs to be replaced badly.

I have run these before. I like the size and like the muds for off pavement.

The truck past smog today easily. I will now start the tare down to fix the leak(s). The plan it to basically tare down the complete top of the motor and go thru and replace a bunch of o-ring. I will also be doing an exhaust back pressure valve delete. A lot of people do this it increase HP however I mainly want to eliminate any future leaks as this is the cause of a lot oil leaks on 7.3. So if I gain a few HP and decrease mu EGT all the better. I will also add a fuel pressure gauge. Depending on how bad the turbo is it might get a kit thrown at it as well. However that is not in the budget so if it's bad the truck may be down until after DRV if it look like it will get me buy for another 6 months to a year It will go back together.

I love the rain but I need to be dry this weekend so I can get this done!

Not a lot to update but the truck did get a roof top tent rack (still need to buy the tent)

18491355_10209174748712592_2933680158954626323_o.jpg

Also got an Engel 35, Bought off my good buddy Gear (Justin), I installed it between the two front seats, fit perfect. Thanks Justin, best buy yet

18557234_10209227639674833_4703804562911677518_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom