1997 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 and FWC Grandby

Nice thread Mike. I have looked at your light bar as it is very similar to what I was thinking for mine, but did not realize that you built it. I am going to have to take a closer look at DRV

New Steps

So recently I have been working on a new project that I have been thinking about for a long time. I wanted to have a set of steps that were attached to the truck and not rely on a small step stool on the ground. I just never got the details worked out until I saw a similar idea for a trailer hitch. That put my thoughts in motion and I came up with this step system. Not quite done yet but have enough to post up some build pics.

I started with some receiver tubing (2" and 2.5")
PICT6526.jpg

After some trial fitting, I figured out the angle I needed
PICT6527.jpg

Starting the mockup of steps
PICT6528.jpg

PICT6529.jpg

After some shaping of the steps, for looks and to keep from banging your leg into a corner
PICT6531.jpg

Topping the sliding post, so it cannot fall out. I will have a hitch pin to hold it in location (up or down)
PICT6532.jpg

PICT6533.jpg

I still need to drill the hitch pin holes, add the anti-slip tape and paint everything. I tested this out and they are perfect for getting into the camper. Will post more once finished.

Nice. Will you turn that upside down or take it off when off road?

If flipped up, you'll have a nice little seat. Do you like your tire gate? How much does it weigh do you suppose?

Nope, not flipped but slide up. The lower step will be just below the upper step when in driving mode. It will be pinned when up. The upper part of the slide bar will just take up empty space under the swing out tire and over the bumper. It would also serve as a secondary stop should the swing out retaining pin break.

As for the TireGate, I LOVE it. It works great, still can tow more than my hitch is rated for and having the spare there, I can mount my Trasharoo. The unit without tire is about 80 lbs. or so.

Nope, not flipped but slide up. The lower step will be just below the upper step when in driving mode. It will be pinned when up. The upper part of the slide bar will just take up empty space under the swing out tire and over the bumper. It would also serve as a secondary stop should the swing out retaining pin break.

As for the TireGate, I LOVE it. It works great, still can tow more than my hitch is rated for and having the spare there, I can mount my Trasharoo. The unit without tire is about 80 lbs. or so.
Thanks Mike:)

Finally got the steps painted and completed. Very happy with how it turned out.

PICT6537.jpg

PICT6538.jpg

PICT6539.jpg

PICT6540.jpg

Damn that turned out great. Better than any off the shelf solution I've seen! :wow

Back
Top Bottom