1995 M116A3 Generator Trailer turned Toy-Hauler

Dean

Adventurist
Founding Member
A few weeks ago I acquired a well used (and abused) M116A3 trailer chassis from the local government surplus auction. I got it for a steal of a deal because it's a little rough around the edges, but the price was right and I plan on fully rebuilding it anyway. I got it for a quarter of what I've seen similar trailers go for. Given my plans for it I didn't see the need to pay the premium for a good condition trailer.

Anyway, here she is:

1995 US ARMY Tank Automotive Command M116A3 S/A Trailer Chassis

1323869_3082_159_0001.jpg

1323869_3082_160_0001.jpg

1323869_3082_161_0001.jpg

1323869_3082_162_0001.jpg

The only real damage was a bent lunette, bent lights, damaged toolbox, and cracked wiring:

1323869_45_258_0001.jpg

1323869_45_265_0001.jpg

1323869_45_270_0001.jpg

Luckily GovPlanet is pretty straight-forward with tthings and provides photos like this so you know EXACTLY what you're buying and EXACTLY what condition it's in.

My plan is to strip the A3 axle and military wheels & tires off it and replace them with a standard 3500# axle with electric drum brakes. This will allow me to run the same wheels and tires that I'm running on the other trailer and on my Jeep.

The overarching goal for this trailer is to a) replace my current 5x8 utility trailer and b) serve as a toy-hauler for things like mountain bikes, kayaks/canoes, and camping gear. Don't worry, I have no plans to get rid of my enclosed M101 camping trailer. I have found that trailer a bit cumbersome for day-trips and short weekend trips with the girlfriend and dogs. I just need a general "pack mule" for carrying things since there is no way all four/five of us will fit inside the M101.

Those bead lock wheels are probably worth what ever you paid for it!

Yeah, I plan on selling the A3 axle/brake assembly and the wheels & tires for a nice price. I'm sure I'll get my money back if not more. :cool:

I bought a set of wheels and tires from a Craigslist ad for my 1995 Hummer.

The seller striped them from a trailer for his build.

The best part was the seller was wearing an American Adventurist t-shirt when I arrived to pick them up.

I could use another set, but you are on the wrong side of the country.

I bought a set of wheels and tires from a Craigslist ad for my 1995 Hummer.

The seller striped them from a trailer for his build.

The best part was the seller was wearing an American Adventurist t-shirt when I arrived to pick them up.

Mind sharing what he listed them at and what you paid for them?

Greetings,

I think I paid $300 for the set. He asking for a little more but I got the AA price.

I have changed the tires on the split rims before and it is not easy.

At that price, I just put them on my Hummer and gave the old rims and tires to the salvage/scavenger guy
for free. At a 100lbs each, they take some effort to more around.

With the acquisition of the other M116A3, I decided to make that one (the flat deck) the toy-hauler and then turn this one into a new camper because... I happened to come across a pretty decent M101A3 tub. So, let the mating begin:

The frame:
IMG_3311.jpg

The tub:
IMG_3310.jpg

Gigging rid of the unneeded parts:
IMG_3319.jpg

Removed the sub-frame and lengthening the tongue:
IMG_3322.jpg

Starting to come together into a proper trailer.
IMG_3332.jpg

If you're interested in the full writeup, it can be found here.

Back
Top Bottom