'03 2500HD Silverado - Tire/Wheel input and Wieght Request

shanz3n5

Adventurist
Good Evening Chevy Adventurists
Original Owner
2003 Chevy Silverado / 2500HD Duramax / 4WD / Crew Cab / Long Bed

I am just about done with the mod of a custom utility bed to fit my FWC Grandby. I will post a build soon. I have a few suspension issues and wheel & tire decisions to make. Positive input is always good on that issue. At this time i'm running stock suspension with front level kit and air bags in rear.
This truck is no longer my daily driver. 212k miles and still running strong. Has been used and cared for well and to its max at times. It is now hopefully going to be now just an adventure / exploration rig. Lots on the want and to-do list. as cash comes in mods go in to truck and camper.
Most of my travel to this point and most likely the future, have been light to moderate off road to get to locations.

Tire / Wheels:
16" stock alum wheel with mich ltx m/s2, 285/70r16 e rated. Strong enough to carry as is empty with camper, 3750lbs @ 80 psi. This is second set of these tires and i have been extremely happy with them. last set 70k miles. A lot of empty wheel well space now with new bed that i would like to fill. Dually adapters wheel and tires or widest tire on deepest neg offset rim i can find. dont really know which way to go. pros and cons??

Suspension:
Dont really want to lift truck but not opposed if need.
As is with no air in bags, she sags. With air @ 80 to bring just above level, she rides rough. 65 seems to be ok, but a lot of sway and lean with bounce.
options i have been contemplating:
going to Deaver and replacing spring packs or National spring rebuild
Front and rear sway bars
Other ideas????

Looking for someone with exact stock truck that has stock truck GVW and Axle Weights, not ratings. I ran out of time to get weights before sale of original bed.
View attachment 9639before
View attachment 9640last fit check before linex
View attachment 9641hard to see but look at wheel well space

look forward to feed back
thanx john

Last edited:
Attachments aren't working. I'm envious, I want a service body for my '06 Dmax, Sun Lite pop up camper in the worst way.

IMG_3195_2.JPG
before new bed
IMG_5332.jpg
last fit check before linex
IMG_5421.jpg
will be taking measurements of available well space this morning

I like the jack extenders. Loading/unloading was one of my concerns when I do finally pull the trigger on a service bed!

My camper currently uses the jack mounts on the sides as attachment points for the camper to the truck, looks like yours does too. What is the plan for securing the camper to the truck?

I like the jack extenders. Loading/unloading was one of my concerns when I do finally pull the trigger on a service bed!

My camper currently uses the jack mounts on the sides as attachment points for the camper to the truck, looks like yours does too. What is the plan for securing the camper to the truck?

Securing camper:
Wanting to use all dead space i removed the original eye bolts from under the side wings. The turn buckles will now attach to the outside. there will be 2 eye bolts at each corner bracket securely with turn buckle to the 2 d-rings i welded to the corners of the bed. (zoom in on last pic for d-rings).
Brackets:
They became a necessity. i hated the weak original corner bracket. they were lagged into the 1x1 aluminum studs. Now the brackets cover 3 sides, bottom and outside walls. with bolt thru to interior aluminum angles. to sandwich the whole corner.
IMG_5322.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

IMG_5306.jpg

Jacking / Lifting:
Gotta be a better way....haha
I still have the manual jacks. I want the electric but they are so expensive. now that the jacks are 6" out further its an inch at a time at each corner, solo operator. sloped driveway doesnt help

Back
Top Bottom