木 2009 Toyota Sequoia Build Thread 木

East coast off roading means getting in the personal space of various shrubbery. Over the past year the Sequoia has picked up some nice trail rash. The weather was nice today so I spent 8 hours or so cleaning her up. Wash, clay bar, polish and wax. Knocked the rust off the antenna mounts and repainted them as well. Now it's back to waiting on suspension parts to ship.

IMG_20190324_162553.jpg

IMG_20190324_192958.jpg

Work is really cutting into the quality time I get to spend with the Sequioa. :rolleyes:

Picked up the Sequoia from Greer Automotive in Woodstock on Saturday morning. Patrick and team did a great job installing:

Dobinson Sequoia Suspension kit
Rancho Upper Control Arms
Moog, lower control arms, tie rod ends, sway bar links, sway bar bushings
StopTech SS brake lines

Truck looks great and rides amazing. The downside to working for a living is only having time to run errands with it yesterday and then drive to the airport today. Hopefully can go have some fun next weekend with it. From the GAS Instagram account:

IMG_20190421_150741.jpg

IMG_20190421_150802.jpg

IMG_20190421_150726.jpg

IMG_20190421_150710.jpg

Next up I've got Timbren bump stops on order along with some trail gear rock sliders. They didn't arrive in time to be added during the suspension swap.

Hmmmm....it appears I ordered the wrong size sliders. In my defense I took the advice of another sequoia owner so that they would fit between the curved portions of the front and rear doors. I measured, questioned his measurements when they didn't match mine and was assured this was the size he went with. In the end I have sliders that are way too short. Oh well. Exploring modifying these vs selling them and reordering. Too expensive to return them.

IMG_20190427_134728.jpg

I've run several tanks of gas through the Sequoia since adding the Hypertech React. I've kept it set on economy -4 as this provides the smoothest throttle response and makes the truck "feel" the way I want it to when accelerating. As an added bonus it does seem to be improving fuel economy every so slightly. Here's the break down:

A 2009 Sequoia 4x4 with the 4.7 V8 is EPA rated at 13 mpg city and 16 mpg highway for a combined 15 mpg. Prior to doing modifications to the vehicle the Sequoia averaging 14 mpg around town and 15ish on the hwy.

After swapping the CATS, putting on the exhaust setup and installing the CAI I was averaging about 16 to 16.5 mpg combined. Just straight around town driving (where we have A LOT of stop and go traffic) I was getting 15 mpg.

After adding the Hypertech React and doing the same driving I'm averaging this with a 50/50 mix of hwy and city driving:

IMG_8365.JPG

I haven't changed any of my driving habits, although the React does make it easier to gently roll into the power...which is what it's supposed to do. My last tank of gas yielded over 450 miles of range. Now if I could just figure out how to squeeze Transferflow's 46 gallon tank for the Tundra under the Sequoia.... :D

How are you liking the Timbren SES?

Thus far they've been great. Easy to install and the couple of times I've towed the camper they (combined with the load distributing hitch) have made a noticeable difference with the vehicle loaded down. I'm considering upgrading the front with the active bump stops. It's my understanding they supply a smoother transition as the suspension bottoms due the compound they're made of, correct?

Thus far they've been great. Easy to install and the couple of times I've towed the camper they (combined with the load distributing hitch) have made a noticeable difference with the vehicle loaded down. I'm considering upgrading the front with the active bump stops. It's my understanding they supply a smoother transition as the suspension bottoms due the compound they're made of, correct?

Yes, that is correct. That's awesome to hear you're happy with them! If you need help sourcing fronts, let us know!

Back
Top Bottom