木 2009 Toyota Sequoia Build Thread 木

Dump the exhaust after the muffler? That's typically illegal in states that perform safety inspections. Exhaust fumes not expelled at the end or side of the vehicle cabin can conceivably be drawn into the passenger compartment, thus creating an opportunity for Carbon Monoxide poisoning or re-badging your vehicle as a new Ford Explorer.

Dump the exhaust after the muffler? That's typically illegal in states that perform safety inspections. Exhaust fumes not expelled at the end or side of the vehicle cabin can conceivably be drawn into the passenger compartment, thus creating an opportunity for Carbon Monoxide poisoning or re-badging your vehicle as a new Ford Explorer.

Hmmmm....interesting. I'll talk to my exhaust guy about it tomorrow...

It appears that GA law does state the exhaust must exit the vehicle behind the passenger cabin. Now that I think about it when I've seen exhaust done this way in the past it's always been a truck...

Last edited:
Taking the vehicle later this week for its first state mandated emissions inspection. One of the downsides of moving to a Metro Atlanta county. We'll see how the exhaust system does...

In the meantime on this episode of "Let's break 9 year old plastic clips holding trim components on", things are changing up front.

IMG_20181224_132418.jpg

You are correct. The old lenses were yellowing and fading and beginning to crack where they had been sealed during their manufacture. If they had simply been fading I would have polished and sealed them with a UV film to preserve them. Unfortunately the cracking was starting to let moisture in and causing bulbs to burn out prematurely. It was time for new headlights, and they might as well improve the dead fish eye look of the front of the Sequoia.

I like the look of the newer Tundra and Tacoma lights with the integrated DRLs so that's what I went looking for. These are churned out by a factory in China and sold across EBay and Amazon under different manufacturers names. The projector lenses give a good concentration of light for the low beams and the high beam lenses match the factory lenses. They came with adapters so that they were plug and play using the factory connectors for the high and low beams. I found an unused fuse location (air suspension) to tap in order to trigger a relay to turn the DRLs on and off with the ACC circuit.

We'll see how these hold up over time, but so far they're a huge improvement over stock. Now to get rid of that hideous chrome grill surround.

IMG_20181224_125754.jpg

IMG_20181224_132406.jpg

IMG_20181226_171738.jpg

IMG_20181226_171806.jpg

Last edited:
Did an entire motorcycle in plastidip and it lasted for years and 60,000+ miles. I kind of want the matching gloss/clear coat look, but the plastidip route might work in the meantime. I really hate that chrome grill.

Very nice! I've been looking at Ebay options, Rock Warrior edition grills off Tundras in particular. The problem with Tundra grills is that they're a different size from Sequoia grills for some reason. The Sequoia grill is an inch or so shorter. If I switch to a Tundra grill then I'll have to get a Tundra bumper to compensate. If I'm going to switch bumpers I might as well order the Tundra ARB bumper. If I'm ordering the ARB bumper I should probably order a winch to install while I'm mounting it. If I'm going to order a winch I should probably get a... well... you see where this is going. :D

Last edited:
Very nice! I've been looking at Ebay options, Rock Warrior edition grills off Tundras in particular. The problem with Tundra grills is that they're a different size from Sequoia grills for some reason. The Sequoia grill is an inch or two taller. If I switch to a Tundra grill then I'll have to get a Tundra bumper to fill the gap. If I'm going to switch bumpers I might as well order the Tundra ARB bumper. If I'm ordering the ARB bumper I should probably order a winch to install while I'm mounting it. If I'm going to order a winch I should probably get a... well... you see where this is going. :D

And while you're at it..... ;)

Anita started watching the prep work and said "Oh just order a new grill already."

Ok. It'll be here at the end of the week.

Thanks Scott. :D

You're welcome!

But, "prep work" for Plasti Dip? I think I may be being used as an excuse for new parts.....

Back
Top Bottom