Upgrading to better battery cables

Dean

Adventurist
Founding Member
A while back I went out to my Jeep and found it was dead as a doornail:

Having dealt with a random dead battery in the past I suspected bad battery cables. It's a known problem on Jeeps since the OEM lead terminals are cast around the main power and ground wires making them prone to pulling out. Coupled with an off-pavement vehicle that sees messy terrain it's not uncommon for corrosion to spread like wildfire down the wires.

Time for a new battery and some new cables:

Just what I was afraid of:

JUNK!

Keep in mind the Jeep was 10 years old with 140k miles on it when I got it in 2014. These pictures were taken about a year later with an additional 10k miles on it. Probably should have checked these sooner rather than later.

The new cables. Notice the lovely heat shrink and labels:

A full writeup with additional photos and information on the custom battery cable install can be found here.

Most recently I came to the conclusion it was time to upgrade from standard lead-acid batteries (wet) to an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery in both the Jeep and the trailer. As such I scored a deal with Odyssey Batteries for three of their Group 34/78 1500 series batteries. Before going to them I did compare them to other popular Group 34/78 AGM batteries. I was most interested in power to weight, power to size, and power to cost ratios.

Out with the old; In with the new:

New battery with the previously installed new cables (2 years old at this point):

A full writeup with additional photos and information on the battery install can be found here.

^^^^Battery cables tend to corrode from the inside out, once you start getting corrosion they are only going to get worse, and at some point leave you stranded. Jump starting a car with bad cables is/can be pointless, as it's the cables and not the battery that is the problem.

^^^^Battery cables tend to corrode from the inside out, once you start getting corrosion they are only going to get worse, and at some point leave you stranded. Jump starting a car with bad cables is/can be pointless, as it's the cables and not the battery that is the problem.

and you say you know nothing about electrical

The Harbor Freight hydraulic crimper is fantastic and easy to use if you plan to make your own in the future.

Back
Top Bottom