Fergie's 4Runner Build & Misc. Adventures

Fergie

Adventurist
Founding Member
Right, so, I've been in the realm of forgotten four-wheel-drives, languishing with my 2001 Mitsubishi Montero. It was fun, and it served us well, but times have changed, and so I've come back to the TEQ world.

After a trusted neighbor got rid of his TLC for a 4Runner, and I had a few rides in his new TRD Pro, I started looking at 4Runner to replace my Monty.

After a brief search, we came across a 2013 Trail Edition at our local Toyota dealer, and after a few test drives, and some late night researching, we went ahead and bought it!

Nothing major has been done to it yet, aside from a new set of Nitto ATs and some Husky liners.

Our first outing was down to a swimming hole on a local creek. The road in is OK, except for the last 2 miles or so....then it get rough. Rough enough that the Montero, with IFS and IRS, would lift a wheel coming up at the day's end. The 4Runner, with it's KDSS, rear locker, and ATRAC, made easy work of those spots, and it aint even lifted....yet!

Always good to see how my hairline recession is proceeding too...

And the swimming hole itself.

This'll be a pretty slow build, but it'll be fun to have another project and document it as I can.

Nice rig Gavin, may it serve your family well!

IMG_0583.JPG

Thanks Doc! I'm looking forward to the adventures now that I've only got 1 month of schooling left.

Well at least you know one thing for sure. The radiator won't blow up on this one......just sayn......o_Oo_O

Congrats and welcome to the world of reliability.

Well at least you know one thing for sure. The radiator won't blow up on this one......just sayn......o_Oo_O

Congrats and welcome to the world of reliability.

No joke dude...that damn WJ fan relay gave me so many issues.

We had a short overnight last weekend...fun to get away from the masses and sleep in a tent, at least for a night.

Took the wife and kiddos out to explore and we found a fire lookout on the map, so we headed that direction.

Luckily it was staffed today and we were able to go up into the cabin portion and the Ranger explained everything to the kids.

Again, pleased with the 4Runner. Aired down to about 20PSI after a few hundred yards on the road, and that made the ride so much better.

View from the top:

Some wildlife along the road:

Land Nav basics...for both of them.

Airing down, and then back up:

No real modification just yet; I was waiting to graduate from my PA program, and pass my boards before allowing myself any vehicle upgrades. Well, I graduated, and passed my certification board, so the fun begins in ernest.

Before I go down that road, I took a couple nights to myself and camped out along the North Rim of the GCNP, and damn was it worth it. Over three days, I saw one other vehicle and two motos, and spent 70 some miles off-road.

I camped one night at Point Sublime, and then went out to Fire Point, then back to Highway 67.

Just past Lee's Ferry

Thought the sign was appropriate.

A few miles in, greeted with amazing views.

Before taking this picture, I spooked a herd of beefalo and wild turkey, just chilling in a meadow. The turkeys paid me no mind, but the bison took off, and it sounded like thunder. Thankfully, they went the other direction.

Just on to the road out to Point Sublime, I met this:

I made it around after a delay...would have given my left nut for my Husqvarna right then and got some good views of the canyon.

And a view from camp for the night:

The next morning, I headed out to Fire Point. I chased this guy a good 3-400 yards, until he took a break long enough for me to get a pic.

And then met another downed tree. This one was a helluva lot easier to get off the trail, so on I went.

The vista at Fire Point, with a gratuitous American Adventurist plug:

The road out:

Back to civilization.

And, what I've been working toward for the past 5 or so years....finally done!

Back
Top Bottom