Adopt-a-Trail Project: San Bernardino NF, 1N05 Fish Creek,

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Big thanks to @BlkWgn for helping set up our first official Adopt-a-Trail here at American Adventurist!

1N05 Fish Creek

Length: 7 miles

Maintenance Level 3: Maintained for travel by prudent drivers in a standard passenger car. User comfort and convenience are low priorities.

1N05 is a multi-use road open to street legal vehicles, mechanized vehicles (bicycles), equestrian travel and foot travel. Motorized vehicles yield to all other users.

Trail Rating: Green Circle Easiest

1N05 is closed for the winter to wheeled vehicles. 1N05 is open during the winter to tracked vehicles if the snow on the ground is over 12" deep.

Elevation: 7000’ to 8400’

Trail adopted by: Southland Sno-Riders (winter)

Entrance on 1N02 at 11S 521023E 3778917N

1N37 Entrance at 11S 521141E 3778691N

1N37A Entrance at 11S 522490E 3776472N

1N05C Exit at 11S 521635E 3775990N

UTM coordinates acquired using Google Earth (WGS84 datum)

upload_2016-6-11_18-26-53.png

In the near future we will schedule a trail day to run the trail with Greg Hoffman, the head OHV ranger for San Bernardino National Forest to survey the needs of the trail.

Stay tuned!

I just got in contact the the Forest Service a couple days ago. I am waiting to hear if we will get access to the trail as it is still part of the Lake fire closure. We may be switching to a different trail depending on conditions. I will update as soon as I hear back.

I just got in contact the the Forest Service a couple days ago. I am waiting to hear if we will get access to the trail as it is still part of the Lake fire closure. We may be switching to a different trail depending on conditions. I will update as soon as I hear back.

Excellent...thanks Cris.

:popcorn

Things are finally moving forward. We have been granted access to the trail so I am going up to meet with the Ranger this weekend to make an initial scout of the trail and set up an action plan. As soon as we see what condition the trail is actually in then we will schedule some work / camp trips.

Just talked to the Ranger, he said if a couple people would like to join us tomorrow they are welcome, but he would like to keep the group small. So if 1 or 2 vehicles are available and want to come up to Big Bear for the day to survey the trail let me know

What time tomorrow?

If it's early enough I'd be able to join you.

Last edited:
Cris, I'm going through my photos, and I have a count of 42 hard drainage points. There are a few spots where the burm is washed out and need to get shored up with rocks.

Last edited:
@richard310 and I spent Saturday surveying the trail with Ranger Greg Hoffman. Here is where we stand.

The trail has been closed for 2 years after parts of it were hit hard by the Lake fire, but it is in surprisingly good condition but there is some work to do.

Our part in getting the road reopened could most likely be done in 1 or 2 days depending on how many people can make it.

The worst of the work is beyond the scope of Adopt a Trail volunteers. The are approximately 500 standing dead trees within range of the road and these will be taken care of by either an outside lumber contractor or a Forest Service Hot Shot (fire) crew depending on availability.

As the official survey has been done, we have been authorized to get a key to the gate and as soon as we have it the first work weekend will be scheduled. One of the best-dispersed campsites on the mountain is at the end of our road. The rough idea would be to meet up Sat morning, accomplish some work on the trail and camp the night and possibly do a short work period Sunday morning. 2 weekend of this will most likely be enough to accomplish our part of reopening the area.

Here is the good part, with the current political climate and the fast approaching Deer season there is a strong motivation in the Forest Service to reopen this area.

Last edited:
If the weekend works, count me in. Had a group several years ago working with Greg Hofmann to adopt 3N08. Greg did the ride along in my truck because I had a working speedometer! Super fun day with him. Unfortunately, our work never materialized. I'm sure we weren't the first to commit and then have no follow through. I felt bad.

I would like to see something like this out here on the east coast. It would be a good excuse to break out some tools that are gathering dust since moving north.

-Andy

I would like to see something like this out here on the east coast. It would be a good excuse to break out some tools that are gathering dust since moving north.

-Andy
The Adopt a trail program started here in the San Bernardino National Forest but has spread to many forests around the country, so there is a good possibility that there is a program near you.

@richard310 and I spent Saturday surveying the trail with Ranger Greg Hoffman. Here is where we stand.

The trail has been closed for 2 years after parts of it were hit hard by the Lake fire, but it is in surprisingly good condition but there is some work to do.

Our part in getting the road reopened could most likely be done in 1 or 2 days depending on how many people can make it.

The worst of the work is beyond the scope of Adopt a Trail volunteers. The are approximately 500 standing dead trees within range of the road and these will be taken care of by either an outside lumber contractor or a Forest Service Hot Shot (fire) crew depending on availability.

As the official survey has been done, we have been authorized to get a key to the gate and as soon as we have it the first work weekend will be scheduled. One of the best-dispersed campsites on the mountain is at the end of our road. The rough idea would be to meet up Sat morning, accomplish some work on the trail and camp the night and possibly do a short work period Sunday morning. 2 weekend of this will most likely be enough to accomplish our part of reopening the area.

Here is the good part, with the current political climate and the fast approaching Deer season there is a strong motivation in the Forest Service to reopen this area.

I will do my best to be there when this happens.

Back
Top Bottom