Need help for test ideas

Andy

Adventurist
Founding Member
My Unit is conducting tests on a new vehicle the Marine Corps is looking at. It's basically a UTV, but with some high tech upgrades. The manufacturer advertises it is capable of towing a 120mm mortar system. The mortar weighs near one ton and currently has a small jeep-type vehicle that tows it.

IMG_0016.JPG

We are tasked with making a video demonstration of the test vehicle towing the mortar. And (of course) have a very short timeline. This will not be an instrumented test, that will come later. This is simply video proof that the manufacturer's claims are solid.

If you were making a demo video of a vehicles capability to tow a specific trailer what would you show? Oh, and this is all off pavement but I can't risk damaging either the Corp's mortar or the multi million dollar prototype UTV as this is only semi-official:cool::confused:o_O:eek:, so no high speed or crazy off camber. That's later this year during a week long desert test I get to drive (0-60 in 3 seconds? Ok :) )

Ideas so far:
Start and stop on sand and hills with fully loaded vehicle.
Break-over angle on a hill crest.
Turn radius forward and reverse on hard and soft surfaces.
Start and stop with flat tire(s).

What else should we show?

For a basic demonstration vid I think you've got all the bases covered.

What's the crew of the mortar and can the UTV carry them and their gear as well? Obviously ammo will be on another rig with a trailer I assume.

Youtube has a lot of neat newsreels made in the early 1940's of a very similar machine towing 37mm antitank guns and neat little trailers with chemical
mortars going over hill and dale. Interesting a 80 inch wheel base quarter ton 4X4 truck that was designed and put into production before the USA was
attacked at Pearl Harbor had to be reinvented. Might get some ideas from those WWII era proving ground films.

I would consider side hilling a bit, a way to show the articulation of the trailer independent from the vehicle, Stopping distance from a reasonable speed... Vehicle looks like the American Growler, made here in NC

The vehicle in the picture above is the growler, the vehicle being (possibly) replaced. I don't have any photos of the prototype to share but I will next week :)

Thanks to all for the assistance!

My Unit is conducting tests on a new vehicle the Marine Corps is looking at. It's basically a UTV, but with some high tech upgrades. The manufacturer advertises it is capable of towing a 120mm mortar system. The mortar weighs near one ton and currently has a small jeep-type vehicle that tows it.

View attachment 31162

We are tasked with making a video demonstration of the test vehicle towing the mortar. And (of course) have a very short timeline. This will not be an instrumented test, that will come later. This is simply video proof that the manufacturer's claims are solid.

If you were making a demo video of a vehicles capability to tow a specific trailer what would you show? Oh, and this is all off pavement but I can't risk damaging either the Corp's mortar or the multi million dollar prototype UTV as this is only semi-official:cool::confused:o_O:eek:, so no high speed or crazy off camber. That's later this year during a week long desert test I get to drive (0-60 in 3 seconds? Ok :) )

Ideas so far:
Start and stop on sand and hills with fully loaded vehicle.
Break-over angle on a hill crest.
Turn radius forward and reverse on hard and soft surfaces.
Start and stop with flat tire(s).

What else should we show?

Looks familiar - I think some of the East Coast MEU's have been using early variants of that - they are generally kept at Dahlgren for testing. Our shop worked on some to modify the exhaust.

I'd like to know...

Level of operator maintenance prescribed and intervals
Off-camber traverse
Failed hill climb
Performance on scree on a slope
Performance in mud
Demonstration of recovery VS tie downs (which are apparently scattered all over the vehicle) - most importantly what is secured to the frame and suitable for recovery operations.
High altitude performance (Bridgeport, CA MCMWTC?)
What's the vehicle BII/recovery gear weight?
Any additional tools, water, POL required for ops?
Approach and departure angles?
Equipped with IR lighting for night ops/NODS and performance under night-time low-light conditions?
Turning radius and wheel scrub in close maneuvering conditions
Axle articulation
Fording depth
Operator performance in full "battle-rattle" and personal weapon storage/access
I could go on...

Seems to me that the Growler is lacking in clearance and articulation. If I were trying to replace it I think I would try and show how the new vehicle would address that. I met the owner of Growler at a local event. I suggested that there were plenty of guys local in the 4wd world who could improve on his product due to those issues I mentioned... he was not interested...

Forgot the update...

We ran the prototype against the current ITV towing the mortar system. The vehicle had some software issues, but overall was way better than the 30 year old technology it might replace. The issues are minor, due to the roughness of the prototype and easily corrected. Some photos:

IMG_4713.JPG
IMG_4702.JPG
IMG_4703.JPG

Not many photos as most of what I shot was video and I can't share those. The phrase "I've never seen a 120 go that fast" may have been used in one of the videos I didn't turn in :)

The project has been turned over to the light tactical vehicles project management office so we will no longer be involved.

And FYI, the area around Salt Lake City is beautiful.

Dagonne it that is sweet. Glad to see some true off road technology making into the Corps... well... testing for it at least. Fingers crossed.
:jeep50

Back
Top Bottom