Black OEM Cummins badges installed, the road is calling!

IMG_7944.JPG

That's the only badge it needs :D

IMG_7941.JPG

So I've been going back and forth on fender flares for awhile. The two choices really boiled down to Bushwacker pocket flares (3.5 inch coverage) at a $350 price point or AEV Highmark flares (4.5 inch coverage) at an $850 price point.

Yes, both options are not cheap with the AEV flares being extremely costly. That said, both have some significant pros and cons in my eyes.

Bushwacker.
Pros:
Lower cost. Easy mounting. Lower profile. Lightweight. Made in USA. Clears 37's.
Cons: I dislike the "pockets" and hardware, purely cosmetic. The rubber edge strips are a terrible design and I can see them rubbing through the paint over time.

AEV Highmark.
Pros:
OEM fit and finish. Additional side marker light. Full OEM quality integrated fender well liners included. Clears 41's.
Cons: Very high cost. Big - 4.5 inches of coverage may be overkill for many and widens the front of an already large vehicle.

So, considering these I really felt like the AEV flares may have been overkill and too wide - the aesthetics of the interface between my Buckstop bumper and the AEV flare is of concern. At half the cost, I felt the Bushwacker may have been a good compromise to meet my end state which was preventing mud and slop from slinging all over my hood and windshield.

I was wrong.

I have the Bushwacker flares here and they just don't meet my standards. More on that in my next post.

I can't speak for the Ram version of the Bushwacker flares, but a buddy of mine had them on a Cherokee, if he even got near an obstacle, the flares cracked.

So I've been going back and forth on fender flares for awhile. The two choices really boiled down to Bushwacker pocket flares (3.5 inch coverage) at a $350 price point or AEV Highmark flares (4.5 inch coverage) at an $850 price point.

Yes, both options are not cheap with the AEV flares being extremely costly. That said, both have some significant pros and cons in my eyes.

<snip>

I have the Bushwacker flares here and they just don't meet my standards. More on that in ny next post.

I think we've both told each other on several occasions, "buy once, cry once". Good thing you realized it before you mounted them.

How much coverage do you think you need? An OEM power wagon flare would get you about an inch and would be a direct fit. I have not looked, but I believe Lund makes a 2" smooth flare for the Dodge.

As for the concern with the paint, and flare will eventually damage the paint

So, the Bushwacker Pocket Flares, part #50051-02

Not impressed. Sending me two flares with neither the rubber gasket nor the "bolts" in the pockets pre-assembled was pretty sad given the price point. I've done a few mods in my day and have to say that the rubber gasket they provide is problematic to install properly at best even with my level of experience but it won't hold up long term under UV etc. I did a complete surface prep/cleaning and too a full hour to install one gasket and yet when I went out in the garage this morning about 2/3's of it had separated. Their faux 3M VHB tape is a joke.

I'm returning them and going another direction.

How much coverage do you think you need? An OEM power wagon flare would get you about an inch and would be a direct fit. I have not looked, but I believe Lund makes a 2" smooth flare for the Dodge.

As for the concern with the paint, and flare will eventually damage the paint

I need a good couple inches with these 37's judging by how "washed in the mud" I was this last winter. It was pretty crazy actually - big divots airborne and landing on the windshield and hood.

I'll have to look at the OEM Power Wagon flares - I wonder if Rock Auto would have them? I can imagine Mopar wants a grand for those :lol

As far as Lund I'll have to look. Smooth is really better than the debris retaining pockets.

Good call on returning the Bushwackers. I had a set on my old Ram over one winter until I noticed the amount of debris that collected behind them. That rubber seal strip isn't much of a gasket. I took them off and sold them to some kid who thought they looked cool.

So I just got off the phone with AEV and there's some good news coming for Ram owners - they are going to start selling the AEV Ram ProCal for the Ram as a stand alone device. Previously, the only way to get one (unless you had a deep mafia connection) was by purchasing their entire suspension system. Very soon you'll be able to buy one ala carte.

procal.jpg

The ProCal is awesome as it allows you to easily adjust the vehicle's computer for changes in tire size and axle ratio, and this new model will also allow you to adjust the TPMS thresholds :D

And I've got one of the first ones headed my way :box

Wish I saw this sooner. I have a feeling your tires are going to look tiny once you get those flares installed. Plus all the cutting required. How long will it take for you to go to 40's :p I assume you'll have those professionally installed.

Wish I saw this sooner. I have a feeling your tires are going to look tiny once you get those flares installed. Plus all the cutting required. How long will it take for you to go to 40's :p I assume you'll have those professionally installed.

Most of the AEV modified Rams out there are on 37's, it should be fine. I'm more concerned with functionality than looks at this point. I want to be able to plow through whatever without it washing over the hood and getting ridiculous.

Looking at the install instructions now... yep, cutting a larger wheel opening by trimming the fenders and various other bits and the addition of much better wheel well liners is going to be quite a task. A monster really.

Hmmm... :study

I'm just curious considering how they look with 40's. Not to mention those AEV Ram's on 37's usually aren't sporting the high mark flares. That's just 40's here and the top almost comes up to the fold on the fender. So were you able to just purchase the front? Or have to shell out for the whole dealo? Curious to see the final product.

attachment.php

So were you able to just purchase the front? Or have to shell out for the whole dealo? Curious to see the final product.

Yes you can purchase just front or rear flares.

You've brought up some good points here today and given me cause to reconsider. I've gone back and really dug in the install instructions as well as photos online of completed installs. I really like them but fear they just may not be for me as I am never going to mount anything bigger than a 37.

I just got off the phone with AEV and cancelled the flare order.

Now I need to find the right P/N's for the OEM Power Wagon front flares since those seem to be the 80% solution to my woes.

Back
Top Bottom