Memorial Day Weekend - IBCDR

BoldAdventure

Adventurist
This weekend I had plans to drive like a mad man down to Colorado to meet up with two friends and do the Alpine Loop. But that plan has been shelved, as most of the passes are still closed. And the snow level would make camping, rather miserable. Especially with two children in tow.

So wife and I are thinking of driving the Idaho Backcountry Discovery Route this weekend.

The route officially starts at the Jarbidge Nevada Food & Gas just over the border and makes its way north.

We're undecided if we will start there, or just drive down I84 and catch the route in Mountain Home.

The plan from there is to drive the first leg to Deadwood Resevior and find some dispersed camping. Then make our way towards Yellow Pine. And I might make some modifications of the trip along the way.

The main plan is to see more of the Biose National Forest and additional wilderness areas north of us. Try camping out with the kiddo's and see how we all do as a family.

If this outting is successful, I am planning to do the Alpine Loop later this summer, and perhaps eventually do the Continental Divide Trail.

I am thinking that the Magruder Corridor is still closed at this time. It usually doesn't open until July or August. The last time I was in southern Idaho, the lower section of the IDBDR just north of Twin Falls was closed due to snow as well. Jealous and Subscribed!

A lot of the snow at lower elevations and even higher is melted now. But there is still snow on the Sawtooths in sections: http://www.sawtoothcamera.com/fullsize.html

I know between 84 and Anderson Damn is currently open. And it looked free of snow further ahead of Anderson. Was there yesterday, and posted some video on my Story on Instagram.

We aren't driving the whole thing. I would like to do Magruder later this summer.

I might be doing the Alpine Loop in July.

But def want to explore more of the Idaho back country. If anything changes, I have about 6 locations now scouted by a friend for dispersed near Stanley, and we'll head over to one of those.

I've been to the Silverton area twice...awesome trails. We go the last week of July, first week of August, trails have always been clear, alpine meadows exploding in color. I will say that I think everyone in Texas that has a side by side or quad is there at that time of year!

I'm gonna be in Rifle Colorado for all of September and October if ya'll need a layover. It's right on I-70 between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs. I'll Be doing lot's of trail riding in my Honda SXS in Colorado and Idaho this summer/fall.

I'm gonna be in Rifle Colorado for all of September and October if ya'll need a layover. It's right on I-70 between Grand Junction and Glenwood Springs. I'll Be doing lot's of trail riding in my Honda SXS in Colorado and Idaho this summer/fall.

When you're in Idaho hit me up.

Well... that didn't go according to plan. I guess I shouldn't look at the Boise mountains and make an assumption. Or maybe, you know check the road conditions or call the ranger station in town.

We got denied three times in a row today with road closers. Snow on the actual route, flooding on an alt route and a mudslide on my 3rd alt route.

So basically we made a 93 mile loop, not counting the distance from where I started recording back to Boise, about 45 mins. Tomorrow, we'll go somewhere else...

:D

IMG_6742.JPG

IMG_1880.jpg

Well... that didn't go according to plan. I guess I shouldn't look at the Boise mountains and make an assumption. Or maybe, you know check the road conditions or call the ranger station in town.

We got denied three times in a row today with road closers. Snow on the actual route, flooding on an alt route and a mudslide on my 3rd alt route.

So basically we made a 93 mile loop, not counting the distance from where I started recording back to Boise, about 45 mins. Tomorrow, we'll go somewhere else...

:D

View attachment 31181

View attachment 31182
Looks like the road along the Salmon River heading east away from Riggins. They never get any snow there.

Back
Top Bottom