2011 200 Series Mild Build

wesel123

Adventurist
Founding Member
Hey all. Figured I start a build thread, I've never really done one on any of my trucks so be kind. I wanted to start one this time to show what can be done to this already overly capable vehicle on a budget and adopt the KISS mantra.

My last LC was perfect and I miss it terribly. Although as time went on the brutal truth came out that I didn't need all the crap.

This rig will not get either a front or rear bumper, roof rack etc. All the mods will be done to allow us access to back country all the while allowing for a safe towing experience.

Over the past few years we've had more fun basecamping, at campgrounds and exploring, then we did going way back country and hauling a ton of things we didn't really need to have a "plesent" camping trip. I can only imagine this style of travel comes with age.

So the first major mod was suspension. Again keeping with KISS, we went with a reliable set up, upgrading the handling and allowing a much improved towing experience. Went with a standard OME set up and airbags in the rear. Installed the kit today and hooked up the Airstream for a quick test run. Night and day difference, we did a shake down run to Zion last weekend loaded down with 4 people and the trailer, we were running on the bump stops. Not a very good ride to say the least. 2722 rear springs paired with the Firestone airbag seem to fit the bill.

Last edited:
Awesome, build it to meet YOUR needs, not what the interweb thinks you need.

I'll bet the new rig will go 90% of the places that your "built" vehicle went. That last 10% you just had to do to justify the build! I've been there, done that, have a drawer full of t-shirts to prove it!:cool:

Put new shoes this weekend (275/70-18) and Thule cross-bars for a sturdy mount for the Yakima Skybox.

Was struggling with the looks of the 275/70-18's BFG KO2's on the stock rims. So I cowboy'd up and went with the Method NV's. Went down a size to 17" rims and running 285/70-17. Tried the 315's but they hit in all kinds of places. (BTW HATE the Yakima rack but needed to carry a few gallons of gas as we are hitting White Rim Trail in a few days).

Last edited:
Nice rig,modded your way. The world has too many LC's with snorkels !! I concur with the gas issue but the rest of the LC make it bearable.

Was struggling with the looks of the 275/70-18's BFG KO2's on the stock rims. So I cowboy'd up and went with the Method NV's. Went down a size to 17" rims and running 285/70-17. Tried the 315's but they hit in all kinds of places. (BTW HATE the Yakima rack but needed to carry a few gallons of gas as we are hitting White Rim Trail in a few days).

I'm curious, what is it you don't like about the roof rack?

It's really not the look I'm used to. I Like the flat racks like I used to have on my 100 series. This one is a bit noisy, but we needed to carry a few cans so out of retirement it came.

I guess I really just like the clean roof line on the 200, I should have used my Sky box on for this trip.

It's really not the look I'm used to. I Like the flat racks like I used to have on my 100 series. This one is a bit noisy, but we needed to carry a few cans so out of retirement it came.

I guess I really just like the clean roof line on the 200, I should have used my Sky box on for this trip.

Thanks. I was getting a roof rack set up on mine, primarily to put plywood in as shade for summer travel with the dog but the NOISE was incredible. I didnt have time to get it finished before travelling some so took it off. Hoping the plywood and a deflector will quiet it down and keep the fuel mileage at normal.

Am liking your minimal basic modifications project.

Loving this rig. On the tail end of our road trip.

Above Bryce Canyon on Sunday

Start on White Rim Trail Island In The Sky Tuesday

At the foot of Ophir Pass (was going to drop the trailer and run the trail but still to much snow). Wednesday

Due to the Method wheels offset being 0 and a 4.25 back spacing, (basically pushing the wheels out 1.25" past the fenders) I picked up a set of Icon 6 Shooter rims. Offset being 25mm and Backspacing set at 5.75. This combo brought the tires in flush with the fenders.

The problem with the Methods were the rocks being thrown up against the Airstream. After this trip we had about 8 to 10 rock dents on the Rock Guards. Due to the wheels pushing past the fenders/mud flaps.

Will be posting up the Methods for sale here shortly.

Here are some shots of the new rims.

Back
Top Bottom