The Road to "Totality"

It looks like I will be staying at a private campground in Clayton, east of Stanley. I will be with family who have RVs. Not ideal, but it's there. May try to meet up with y'all.

Dan, can you post up our plans (yours and ours) please. Quite frankly, I've lost track!

Garrett, my current plan is to try to meet you guys in Lompoc and caravan with you until Monday the 14th. Then I'm going to head north to meet Dan in Idaho on Monday night/Tuesday, whenever we get there. We're going to camp for the week while you guys traipse around the country side and pick up the girls in Boise. We'll catch back up with you wherever we are for the eclipse.

It looks like I will be staying at a private campground in Clayton, east of Stanley. I will be with family who have RVs. Not ideal, but it's there. May try to meet up with y'all.
You're also welcome if we can fit you in. There's the possibility that I can grab some of the 1st come 1st serve sites at Riverside or one of the other four CG's at Deadwood Reservoir before the start of the weekend.

Dan, can you post up our plans (yours and ours) please. Quite frankly, I've lost track!

Garrett, my current plan is to try to meet you guys in Lompoc and caravan with you until Monday the 14th. Then I'm going to head north to meet Dan in Idaho on Monday night/Tuesday, whenever we get there. We're going to camp for the week while you guys traipse around the country side and pick up the girls in Boise. We'll catch back up with you wherever we are for the eclipse.
Since we're meeting Monday or Tuesday on the 14th or 15th, we can pretty much have run of some more desirable sites to camp at. We could meet at Mountain View CG for the first night. I stayed there one night on the South Fork of the Payette River. Was awesome! It's just right outside of Lowman on 21 which is the main drag to Deadwood and Stanley coming from Boise.
There are some Hot Springs 3 miles from Mountain View and Lowman.

I'd suggest getting all your supplies before heading to Lowman. There are little to no services there. I'll be carrying in 10 extra gallons of gas, not that I'll need it with a 36 gallon tank but if I have an ATV by then and or I don't know when I'll be near services out there. I'm not thinking there's much offered in Stanley either. There is a restaurant and small camping gas/store(?) at Redfish Lake and lots of tourists.

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/...oundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=70436

Gonna share a bunch of pix over to the State by State adventure thread for Idaho......
https://americanadventurist.com/forum/threads/idaho.2625/#post-89032

IMG_0132.JPG

Last edited:

OK, sounds good. My twin brother may fly in to Boise as well since he's interested to check out Wyoming a bit. The thought is he'd drop my group at Boise airport after the eclipse and then drive the Jeep back to CA after his little side trip.

You're also welcome if we can fit you in. There's the possibility that I can grab some of the 1st come 1st serve sites at Riverside or one of the other four CG's at Deadwood Reservoir before the start of the weekend.

Thanks, Dan. But we already have it reserved. Will try to meet up though.

One thought I had was to get to deadwood reservoir before the weekend starts and get one of the campgrounds that are first come first serve and spend the week hanging out on the lake and exploring from there. And then on the 21st go to the riverside Campground. There are three other campgrounds along the shores of deadwood reservoir.

I think we have room @woody . We have two sites at Deadwood Reservoir. We'll already have three vehicles (@100acrehuphalump, @bob91yj, and myself). We can make it work!

Update: My twin brother is now flying into Boise with the girls. He's going to road trip the Jeep and trailer after the eclipse and the original crew (my older brother, his wife, and I) will fly home on Tuesday. This eliminates the power drive home for us, which is nice. Flights are only $125 back to Los Angeles.

Last edited:
Is there still room?
Damn right we got enough room for you. If I have to, I'll get some of the first come first serve sites before anybody else can. Awesome totally looking forward to seeing you Woody!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom