GPS satellite tablet

I have an Inreach for Android platforms for sale, it's' the older all black one. I switched to Apple products (to match my phone).

$100

i use Gaia and the Delorme Earthmate app
I picked up the new Delorme InReach Navigator with the dash mount at the expo, and will be using it with Earthmate and Gaia. I'm excited because it can be used with my iPad for a larger screen map. I get to try it out driving around Phoenix and Apache Trail tomorrow. I'll post up some pix then.

:map
image.jpg
Great choices in my opinion Dan.

image.jpg

I wish I could figure out how to post up a map like that with the route I've taken. I cannot seem to do it from my iPad. Or at least not being able to save the screen to post it...?:confused:

Dan, when looking at image or map on iPad screen and you want to capture the screen, press both the 'home' and 'power' button at the same time and release (a quick simultaneous press, like if you were taking a picture). Your image will be stored in your photos.

so now that i have a Ipad Air 2 i have gone with Gaia. My question is does anyone know of a map that can be downloaded that has ll the Yellow posts locations? I did a search online and didnt find a downloadable map.

so now that i have a Ipad Air 2 i have gone with Gaia. My question is does anyone know of a map that can be downloaded that has ll the Yellow posts locations? I did a search online and didnt find a downloadable map.

I dont know of a downloadable map. I have many of them marked (I need to make a file out of them that I can share) If you search around the interwebs there are some good sources but I have never found a complete source. The map from the forest service is a complete waste.

If you want to download a map and go, MotionX GPS is an app I have been using on my 1st Gen Ipad 3g model. It works VERY well, but can chew up some memory if you download large maps with high definition.

I usually just download the areas I will be in the most in HD, then get a wider map downloaded if I stray out of bounds (so to speak)

For point to point navigation (on road use) I use WAZE. Great app that is updated socially, so take the police locations with a grain of salt. Also, double check the route as it tracks peoples shortcuts as they drive and can sometimes throw in a "crazy Ivan" or an unneeded detour/turn.

Google maps has entered the mobile point to point market too, and now includes voice nav, but doesn't include the extra info in WAZE...yet.

* WAZE and Google maps require streaming data

Ok I just walked over to the Apple store and asked them if the 3/4G iPad's has satellite GPS and they said they do not have satellite capability that their GPS chip is only triangulating off of cell towers only. I think the confusion comes because people using them are not getting a strong enough signal to use phone or data so they think they are out of range but its probably getting just enough signal to triangulate its position.

This didn't sound right to me, so I double checked, just for completeness. Directly from Apple's own support page here and here (3G):

• Wi-Fi
  • Digital compass
Wi-Fi + Cellular

• Wi-Fi
  • Digital compass
  • Assisted GPS and GLONASS
  • Cellular

So, to confirm: If your 3G/4G iPad has cell data, it also has a true GPS chip. If it's WiFi-only, no GPS. What is important is that they're using assisted GPS (wikipedia), which uses cell-tower triangulation only to improve startup time (time to first fix, TTFF). It is NOT using the cell towers for continuous positioning. If you use such a system without a data contract, or outside the range of cell towers, it will eventually lockup and work just like any other GPS device. The only difference is that it will take longer to get a lock. Using an external GPS puck with a better GPS antenna will generally reduce the lockup time, but this is not required.

I have a Bad Elf GPS dongle for the iPad mini I use for nav. I have the Garmin app and a Topo app that uses high res USGS topo scans. It all goes on the RAM mount on the dash and plugs into the hard wired USB charging station when needed. Really it is very nice and a good way to repurpose an old ipad that is being neglected.

For folks wondering about why the cellular iPads have an actual GPS (satellite) receiver chip - it has to do with authentication with the cellular network. GPS provides precision time clock info, which is used in the calculation of certain authentication keys used in the handshake to gain access to the cellular network. This also includes encryption security keys for certain elements like LTE voice security gateways, etc.

The side benefit is use can use the chip them for navigation apps.

It's not for satellite data (2-way or 1-way) other than the timing data from the GPS constellation.

Back
Top Bottom