Van pics!

Greetings all
( ; I might be breaking the rules since our van is nether 4wd or 2wd ; )

My wife and I built up a stock Chevy AWD cargo van beginning in the fall of 2010. Over the past 5 years we have done mods along the way. Some were done by upfitters, most of the interior grunt work was done by my wife and I. I do have a well maintained build thread for any wishing to dig deeper. Here is a picture as of this spring:

accreteChevyAWDcurrent.jpg

I look forward to digging into member's builds and seeing what else I have to put on my wife's daily driver ; )

Thom

I recently did a write up (_link to post_) on how we went from fancy fiamma awning to simple tarp setup with our van and thought some might enjoy the read (didn't want to start a thread just for a tarp idea, but mods are free to move this elsewhere if needed). Anywhoo.... here is a shot of our van using a Noah 9 (we also have Noah 16 and 20 tarps in the mix for various uses off the side of the van).

noah9.jpg

: ) Thom

PS... HEY, check out those mountains on the rear galley box!!!

Nothing too fancy, but it made to Louisiana and back last year, and Flagstaff, Grand Canyon and back to Socal this year hauling the bikes. 1980 VW Vanagon Westfalia with stock 67 horse aircooled engine.

859c28e0a57da684e70548e5a3bdf998.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

^^^^Wait...you had THREE vehicles in the desert and they all ran?:rolleyes: I'll see Hartman this weekend, I've still got faith that he'll haul some broken junk to the desert!:eek:

Along River Road West in Big Bend National Park. The unimproved roads have some more technical sections, but nothing too serious (unless it rains, then things get sticky very fast).

F8Industries-AdventureWebSized-06.jpg

Along River Road West in Big Bend National Park. The unimproved roads have some more technical sections, but nothing too serious (unless it rains, then things get sticky very fast).

View attachment 26519
Have you run into a need for 4wd or recovery gear yet? A van is always on my list of vehicles to consider for camping and for dd... but I have trouble getting my brain to wrap around not having 4wd. Yet, to that point, the change to an all terrain tread on my wife's Tacoma Prerunner has put an end to trouble getting around the farm with it... so what is your experience like? Still satisfied with the 2wd?

Have you run into a need for 4wd or recovery gear yet? A van is always on my list of vehicles to consider for camping and for dd... but I have trouble getting my brain to wrap around not having 4wd. Yet, to that point, the change to an all terrain tread on my wife's Tacoma Prerunner has put an end to trouble getting around the farm with it... so what is your experience like? Still satisfied with the 2wd?

Yup I'm still happy with 2WD. It just limits what I'm willing to attempt and it requires the willingness to drive away. Our setup fits our current needs and what we as a family want to do for our camping adventures, that isn't to say that next year or even next week we may find the need for 4WD, though.

We spent the first year traveling in it with no mods...plumbers van with just an engel fridge and thermarests on the floor... bikes/gear piled in the back...now that we know what we want I started building last month. Just a few things left to tidy up before a few months in the PNW this summer...

IMG_20161030_143816630.jpg

Back
Top Bottom