Recovery Gear: Ongoing Discussion and Reviews

Until you use it you don't know. I did a recovery this week on pismo. It was a family in a new ford transit the others had tried and broke straps. The gear I have is twice my vans weight and worked great. I did get a lecture that I should air down and yes I should have but I decided to create a black cloud and pull. 20+ pounds of boost is awesome power

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I bet there were some really bitchin' rooster tails too, tearing up that beach! Woot! :eek:

I bet there were some really bitchin' rooster tails too, tearing up that beach! Woot! :eek:
Let's just say he did not realize what was going to happen. I think he had his wheels at full lock even after we told him.

No I did not take his money and made sure he made it out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

On the bright side; the sand on beaches can be filled back in and the tides make quick work of repairing scars. In the desert however, a simple tire track can last hundreds of years......

Well, I just stepped up my recovery game a bit. Got a Smittybilt X2O 12k winch with synthetic line. I also have a 20' Bubba Rope, snatch strap, a Bubba Ropes soft shackle, and a couple extra Van Beest 3/4" shackles. Those soft shackles come in handy more than you would think.

d58259b67c82f6395072a6c6f1cbb108.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice. I'm a big fan of Bubba Rope products for sure. This weekend I used my old Warn recovery strap for the last time - this van on bald tires had NO business being up in the snow... and a 15 passenger van was about the limit of the SWL of 7.2K lbs on that strap so I'm very happy to upgrade to the Big Bubba.

IMG_5752.JPG

Big Bubba rope is capable of pulling anyone out. Even me :D

IMG_5754.JPG

Nice. I'm a big fan of Bubba Rope products for sure. This weekend I used my old Warn recovery strap for the last time - this van on bald tires had NO business being up in the snow... and a 15 passenger van was about the limit of the SWL of 7.2K lbs on that strap so I'm very happy to upgrade to the Big Bubba.

View attachment 26579

Big Bubba rope is capable of pulling anyone out. Even me :D

View attachment 26581

We don't call those vans loser cruisers for nothing.....

On the bright side; the sand on beaches can be filled back in and the tides make quick work of repairing scars. In the desert however, a simple tire track can last hundreds of years......

That depends on the desert. I was in a sandstorm on Friday and had trouble keeping the convoy together because the tracks were filling in between cars. Even in good weather, tracks out here disappear within a few days.

One of the great things about offroading in the desert out here is that nature scrubs it clean of tire tracks every few days. You are often on a literally trackless sea of dunes. You know it isn't true, but sometimes it feels like nobody has ever been there before.

Annnnd just to keep it on the topic of recovery gear - I am adding goggles to my recovery gear. We had a couple recoveries during that sand storm that were infinitely more difficult because you could not look upwind at all. I had to stick my head inside the car and look through the back window to guide a towing vehicle in on a stuck car, because I couldn't watch him without eye protection. You can hook up shackles by braille and stolen glances, but it's tough to do a walk-around that way. I will also throw in that hazard lights can be seen about 2-3 times as far back as tail lights in the sandstorms. Especially those with amber bulbs. I imagine the same would be true for snow, smoke, or fog, but it really makes a difference out here when trying to keep a convoy together.

Absolutely true, loose sand and dunes. Yes. Cryptobiotic crust desert, completely different ball game.... I am a fan of the latter.
Brilliant call on the goggles! NOTHING worse than doing ANYTHING in a flipping sandstorm!

That depends on the desert. I was in a sandstorm on Friday and had trouble keeping the convoy together because the tracks were filling in between cars. Even in good weather, tracks out here disappear within a few days.

One of the great things about offroading in the desert out here is that nature scrubs it clean of tire tracks every few days. You are often on a literally trackless sea of dunes. You know it isn't true, but sometimes it feels like nobody has ever been there before.

Annnnd just to keep it on the topic of recovery gear - I am adding goggles to my recovery gear. We had a couple recoveries during that sand storm that were infinitely more difficult because you could not look upwind at all. I had to stick my head inside the car and look through the back window to guide a towing vehicle in on a stuck car, because I couldn't watch him without eye protection. You can hook up shackles by braille and stolen glances, but it's tough to do a walk-around that way. I will also throw in that hazard lights can be seen about 2-3 times as far back as tail lights in the sandstorms. Especially those with amber bulbs. I imagine the same would be true for snow, smoke, or fog, but it really makes a difference out here when trying to keep a convoy together.
I like this.

I keep a pair of safety glasses in my gear. It sucks working under a car after its been thru sand, dirt, mud, etc and having that fall into your eyes.

Question About Synthetic Line

My experience with synthetic line comes from both sailing (racing) and industrial rescue arenas, so my question is based on those experiences.

Synthetic lines have a "minimum bend radius" - the minimum sized radius (pulley) the line can be bent over (or wrapped around) without loosing strength and possibly breaking fibers. The radius is dependent on the diameter of the line - the larger diameter line, the larger the minimum radius.

However, when dealing with synthetic lines in the vehicle recovery business, the minimum bend radius is never talked about and constantly violated.

A couple of examples:

Winch extension lines with loops spliced on each end - without a metal thimble.

Soft shackles

In these cases, a line wraps tight around another line or clevis pin. Either way, the object being wrapped around has a significantly smaller diameter than the "correct" bend radius.

Shouldn't we be worried about damaging our lines?

Question About Synthetic Line

My experience with synthetic line comes from both sailing (racing) and industrial rescue arenas, so my question is based on those experiences.

Synthetic lines have a "minimum bend radius" - the minimum sized radius (pulley) the line can be bent over (or wrapped around) without loosing strength and possibly breaking fibers. The radius is dependent on the diameter of the line - the larger diameter line, the larger the minimum radius.

However, when dealing with synthetic lines in the vehicle recovery business, the minimum bend radius is never talked about and constantly violated.

A couple of examples:

Winch extension lines with loops spliced on each end - without a metal thimble.

Soft shackles

In these cases, a line wraps tight around another line or clevis pin. Either way, the object being wrapped around has a significantly smaller diameter than the "correct" bend radius.

Shouldn't we be worried about damaging our lines?
Yes and no Scott. Yes, we should be concerned about exceeding the capacity of the equipment we use to recovery our equipment. But that requires we understand the limitations of the gear.

But also no. You specifically mention soft shackles. There's been a lot of research in the slackline industry, especially with the recent popularity of soft shackles.

The only real bend radius I commonly see employed is that which is on the sheaf of a recovery pulley; certainly within the design of synthetic lines.

I'm especially confident of the use of soft shackles due to the rigorous testing and advancement in modern synthetic fibers. Another aspect that differentiates soft shackles is the type of knot and splice involved. I've attached an excellent article for your review and determination of what's best for you. For recreational recoveries I have room for both steel screw-pin bow shackles and soft shackles.

http://www.balancecommunity.com/slack-science/comparison-soft-shackle-methods/

Yes and no Scott. Yes, we should be concerned about exceeding the capacity of the equipment we use to recovery our equipment. But that requires we understand the limitations of the gear.

But also no. You specifically mention soft shackles. There's been a lot of research in the slackline industry, especially with the recent popularity of soft shackles.

The only real bend radius I commonly see employed is that which is on the sheaf of a recovery pulley; certainly within the design of synthetic lines.

I'm especially confident of the use of soft shackles due to the rigorous testing and advancement in modern synthetic fibers. Another aspect that differentiates soft shackles is the type of knot and splice involved. I've attached an excellent article for your review and determination of what's best for you. For recreational recoveries I have room for both steel screw-pin bow shackles and soft shackles.

http://www.balancecommunity.com/slack-science/comparison-soft-shackle-methods/
This guy is too Smart.

.../

Thank you for the link to the article - it was most informative.

Yes, there is a bend radius around the sheaf. But there is also a bend radius around the pin of a clevis - though a much smaller diameter. This is really the heart of my question.

From what I have seen in the off-road world, no one seems to worry about it.

Maybe I am overthinking this, or maybe the properties of the lines we use have changed (improved) over the years.

Thank you for the link to the article - it was most informative.

Yes, there is a bend radius around the sheaf. But there is also a bend radius around the pin of a clevis - though a much smaller diameter. This is really the heart of my question.

From what I have seen in the off-road world, no one seems to worry about it.

Maybe I am overthinking this, or maybe the properties of the lines we use have changed (improved) over the years.

True IRT Clevis... although my synthetic extension line incorporates thimbles on either end. But you do see sharp radiuses on soft shackles even when tested to tens of thousands of pounds and ultimate destruction in testing.

So I'd have to agree... if they are being destructively tested to amazing levels of strength; if Factor 55 uses soft shackles to test their thimbles to destruction (without damage to the soft shackle), then your hypothesis must be correct.

Vehicle recovery operations are usually in challenging terrain and conditions that rarely involve straight line pulls.

Here's a cool graphic from Skookum that shows how angled pulls affect the strength of your shackle and typical "pad eye" type mounts you see on bumpers.

IMG_8688.JPG

So I've been assembling kit to eventually switch over to synthetic. I had a concern with my existing snatch block as it has been used on my cable line and now has groves in it. So I picked up a new ARB snatch block so I wouldn't have to worry.

Do you see any issue with using the old snatch block with synthetic line? Should I try and sand/grind out the cable imprints? They do not seem sharp. Having an extra snatch block around can't hurt.

17,600 lbs vs 20,000 lbs

Note* noticed the dirt, its been cleaned now

Last edited:
I see enough grit build up on the bearing to be a concern. Pull the c-clip and pin, clean any debris, file down the grooves on the sheave and set it aside as as a backup. It does have working load limit stated on it somewhere right?

-Andy

Dirt has already been taken care of ;) seriously no markings on the thing, it came with my 12k winch so I'm sure its safe but would be nice to know the rating.

Seems to be the generic block that most manufacturers include. Looking at the website its an 8 Ton Snatch Block – 17,600 lbs Capacity

Back
Top Bottom