"Circle The Wagons". Or is it to Early to plan?

How does it work with the group spot? Do I just register for the camping and then find you guys, or is it a specific registration that needs done? Trying to convince the wife that it would be a good way to spend mothers day weekend.

Also is the $380 price for the Overland experience + 1 worth it over the $175 weekend camping pass? I have never been so I don't know how much of the extra stuff I would be doing on top of just walking around drooling at all the vehicles and meeting new people.

Also is the $380 price for the Overland experience + 1 worth it over the $175 weekend camping pass? I have never been so I don't know how much of the extra stuff I would be doing on top of just walking around drooling at all the vehicles and meeting new people.

I had my first Expo experience this past year. I went with the weekend camping pass only. At first my assessment of the event was rather negative... seemed like just an overland shopping mall. However, as I read others accounts and discussed with some buddies and my wife, I realized that the fault was on me. Next year... maybe Expo West, definitely Expo East, I will go for the full experience pass and work harder to engage in the educational and experiential opportunities... I think it takes that effort if I want to have a more positive experience.

My wife spoke at Expo East and had plenty of women in her talks... there seemed to be many other talks that were geared for women also. From Ann's experience, it would be an excellent mother's day present for her... YMMV.

Big thanks to Doug for stepping up as Camp Commandant for our contingent at Overland Expo West 2017!

Paging @Jonathan Hanson - Doug aka @RoamingRobertsons has offered to be our coordinator for the AAV encampment this year. Please give him a shout with your guidance when you get a chance!

IMG_2015.JPG

Anyone have a link to the registration? For some reason I had it in my head that it was over $400 just to camp. If I can get through the door for $175 or so, attending would ratchet up a spot or two on the want to go scale.

Anyone have a link to the registration? For some reason I had it in my head that it was over $400 just to camp. If I can get through the door for $175 or so, attending would ratchet up a spot or two on the want to go scale.
Overland Expo West, 12-14 May 2017, Flagstaff, AZ.

Caution: You are responsible for reading the material on the webpage, selecting options, and clicking on hypertext links.

This is an elaborate way to weed out the overlanding challenged.

Teaser: Family weekend pass with camping is $175.00; single weekend pass with camping is $105.00.

As I read it....$175 is for you plus a spouse and as many under 17yr olds you can fit in your vehicle to camp for the weekend starting Friday. This would be just to camp, look around, and shop. This does not include participation in any of the classes or events.

$380 would be for you getting to learn / play and your spouse watching you / not participating in the classes. Camping starting Thursday (?), plus some drink tickets, plus a BBQ.

Having been to many of these events, I have to say that the BBQ on Sunday is not to be missed. A veritable "who's who" in the overlandosphere will be present so it's a great time to meet people and maybe get your photo taken with notable celebrities like @TangoBlue or @Jonathan Hanson

As I read it....$175 is for you plus a spouse and as many under 17yr olds you can fit in your vehicle to camp for the weekend starting Friday. This would be just to camp, look around, and shop. This does not include participation in any of the classes or events.

$380 would be for you getting to learn / play and your spouse watching you / not participating in the classes. Camping starting Thursday (?), plus some drink tickets, plus a BBQ.
Pretty accurate assessment but I add (not my first rodeo either) that there are a lot of classes, discussion panels, films, and demonstrations that are open to anyone. I encourage anyone looking to attend to carefully review the event syllabus - they highlight classes that are "Overland Experience" exclusive. Think of this as not just a sales event but it includes a sort of "graduate-level seminar" as you will see on the class syllabus when it is finalized and posted... much like selecting classes to attend at a college. There is more content in this event than can be possibly completed by a single person so choose well.

Having been to many of these events, I have to say that the BBQ on Sunday is not to be missed. A veritable "who's who" in the overlandosphere will be present so it's a great time to meet people and maybe get your photo taken with notable celebrities like @TangoBlue or @Jonathan Hanson
That's why I wish the BBQ was on Saturday instead of Sunday. Many (including ourselves) have to bug out on Sunday to be back at work on Monday after a very long drive. This will be my fourth time, and I haven't gotten a bite yet!

We went for the first time last year and aside from the horribly bad winds, we enjoyed just walking around looking at rigs and talking to vendors.. I don't know if I can go again this year, but I may try to get there..

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

I just reminded my wife that this is coming up and she is excited to go again. I'm sure my kids will be excited to go again also. All of us had a great time last year even despite the winds. I look forward to being able to camp with the group this time.

Shots fired . . . . wait
Wait we can't carry loaded pistols in California? Oops. I was just in SoCal for a week. Good thing I never told the CHP. [emoji41]. I am hoping to be able to hit Expo again this year. I've managed to make four of the last five [emoji1360].

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi all, new to the AA site. My wife and I are heading over to the Expo from South MS. We'll likely be leaving the weekend before and heading to the North Rim, Tuweap area for a couple of days, with stops along the way in NM. We're planning to head up to the Moab/Canyonlands area after the Expo, have a site reserved on the White Rim for 5/17, Murphy's Hogback if anyone is interested in doing the White Rim.

Hey, been lurking here for a couple years, met some of you last year, bought a camping pass this year, look forward to saying hi

I am teaching at the event again this year. We will be headed out from NC, along 40, but then intend to head south from Albuquerque and possibly do some of the NMBDR through Gila in our Montero. We'd possibly be open to doing so with others.

Back
Top Bottom