Campfire Defender ( a high tempature material tarp for campfires )

I could possibly see using one of those if you were going to be base camped in the same location for a few days and were trying to conserve firewood, other than that, I think it's an answer for a question no one is asking.

Last edited:
I looked into it more and did some more reading. They didn't mention it but I could see using it as a heat reflector. Also, if you're expecting a zombie apocalypse you could put out a campfire really fast, hide glowing embers and not produce a column of steam.

Outside of those scenarios though you are spending $250 to do what some dirt can do.

I like it! A little pricey but fills a need in my book. This eliminates the need to completely extinguish the fire before bed. You have a bed of coals and everyone decides to call it a night. I would argue that many people go through the motions of extinguishing the fire, but it still isn't out cold. Some like the thought of of a few hot coals remaining to help get the fire going on those brisk mornings. This eliminates the need to put the fire out cold. You never know when the wind might pick up during the night and possibly cause a fire, you thought was out, to spread. In my opinion this is also more environmentally friendly. No ashy steam when using water, no need for water. Some locations are rocky and dirt is hard to come by, if it is available you are just filling the fire pit with dirt and not leaving the site better than you found it. In my book this option is more convenient, more environmentally friendly, and more reliable. If only it was half the price!

There's a code I just posted that'll get you 40% off.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Apparently I asked the question...@Trailfrog made a compelling argument. I ordered the back pack version. For $85 I'm willing to give it a shot.

The idea did hit me that it may work as a makeshift oven by tenting coals.

Place the coals on one side, what you want to cook on the other, use the vent in the tarp to control the heat.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

^^^^Brilliant!

We have a fire bowl in the back yard, Machelle gets worried about the coals (and rightfully so in reality), the back pack version should just cover the top of the fire bowl. Backyard test shortly after I get it!

^^^^In...if it ever shows up.

I hate Big Bear, mostly because I don't know where to go to get away from the crowds. We need to find a weekend where you can show me some of your secret haunts.

Another option is LCIR, I need to get back up there to see if they have made any new changes (the rules there always seem to be in flux).

Last edited:
Mine hasn't shown up yet. Just went to their site, saw the live chat box, gave it a shot and got my answer quickly on the tracking. Awesome service for 7PM PST!

I also asked about using the tarp as a fire prevention tool on a hot engine, or as a fire blanket on a burning engine. They think it would work as long as fire temps don't get over 2500*F. Obviously not the products intended purpose, I was told there may be some discoloring of the green silicone portion. If I can save a life or a car in such a situation, I can live with some discoloring.

Machelle told me that the one I ordered showed up today.

I'll be at the King of the Hammers next week, not sure that I'll get the chance to use it there, our camp fires are large group size, we typically go through a cord of wood in a week.

First impressions...it's hefty, not an issue for me, my truck won't even notice it. Despite being folded up in the storage pouch for who knows how long, it flopped flat on the floor. I think it has enough weight to it that you could be a few feet away and toss it onto something that is burning, that shouldn't be, to help put the fire out.

One of my concerns I had was that if you put it over a campfire, there is a chance that someone might walk over the top of it at night without knowing there was a fire there...they were a step ahead of me, the whole perimeter has a wide reflective strip around it.

The stakes are your typical generic tent stakes, I think any of us that use stakes have already come up with alternate solutions to solve the cheap stake issue. These are a bit bigger diameter than some, but still essentially bent wire.

The true test for me was it fit back in the storage bag easily when I was done looking at it!:cool:

I'll save you guys the trouble...

:pics

It's a 30"x 34" green tarp with a vent built into it, fits in a mesh bag, not much to take a picture of at the moment!:rolleyes:

Size of the light version stored. 34" x 30"
IMG_20170204_152522947.jpg

There is a seam along the edge for the reflective edge trim that you'll want to keep clear of any prolonged exposure to heat. The thread material does not appear to be the same as the heat resistant material.
IMG_20170204_152653632.jpg

we use ours all the time especially in the National Forest. It's that peace of mind known that hot coals are pretty much contained while sleeping & having a decent bed of coals the next morning. We also use ours as a backwall on the firepit
065.JPG
048.JPG

Back
Top Bottom