Big Booty Judy - 2014 w OVRLND Camper and other goodies

Fergie

Adventurist
Founding Member
Its been a long while since I've been on the forums, but with a big trip coming up, and some mods planned, I figured I'd update the group on my latest build, from when I bought it in early 19, until now.

You can see why the moniker is apropos...and the kids think its funny as hell, so why not.

After far too many years of SUVs, one divorce later and I have a truck that've been wanting for some time. No frills 2014 Tundra Double Cab, originally purchased w a camper shell, but now has a slightly better camper shell. This will be a slow documentation of everything I've done to it, with some travel pics thrown in because it does get used a good bit for outdoorsy stuff.

I threw together a very rough sleeping platform system and tossed the ol' Engel in for a Spring Break trip to Big Bend w the knuckleheads. The platform served its purpose, but was not well thought out, and was soon replaced.

Prior to the trip, I installed some RCI skids, which fit perfectly.

BBNP was absolutely amazing, and we were one of only a few folks in the backcountry, so it was nice and quite and we paddled the Rio Grande and visited a Santa Elena Canyon, among other spots.

Thats all for now...more to come.

This was the original design of the sleeping platform...I thought I was clever by having the center portion removable, with the platform high enough to fit the the Front Runner boxes, but the passage was too narrow...should have measured twice and cut once....oh well. It worked for what it was.

I installed some Yakima Tracks on the camper shell itself, and mounted my camping lab awning, which provided some much needed shade for me and my near-albino kids in the TX sun.

After Texas was our favorite area in southern UT.

We stop here for lunch on our way each time....always an easy drive from Flag, and the views to the north and south are decent.

And of course, a shot of the truck:

This was about 100 yards from the campsite, so the kids stripped to their skivvies and went swimming...hard to beat. I sat on the bank and drank a beer and read.

Then we did the dinner thing:

The next day we went to our fave ruin site:

Then explored the backcountry a bit:

For reference; this is all stock suspension and tire size...this is the flex you get. Not wonderful by any means, but still capable.

Finally, out to the main road, and on our way home.

The truck got naked for a bit....one trip down to a super secret swimming hole:

Because.....I did this....

I wanted to provide a comparison between the Flippac and Habitat.

The Hab, while similar in appearance, is a different beast entirely. The FP is not terribly well constructed and felt flimsy the times I had it out, also required a separate rainfly.

I'm very happy w the Hab.

For the first actual camping trip, I headed up to CO and tested the camper out in the high mountain and rain; not a single issue w it, and had some white-knuckle fun on Ophir Pass.

And a short time-lapse of setting the camper up.

Next was a trip to central UT for some fly fishing and general good times w my kids and some old friends. Temps were in the 90s during the day, so it was nice to have a the water to cool down in, and the camper stayed nice and ventilated at night...perfect sleeping weather.

Of course, gotta have the classics while camping.

And this was one of the lakes we hiked to get some flies wet.

Some other random trips here and there, and then I took a solo trip to Bears Ears and Natural Bridges at New Years...coldest weather I've been camping in for a long time. I had a mummy bag tucked inside another bag, full long johns and a beanie, and two nalgenes of boiling water to stay warm. The hiking was good and no one else was dumb enough to be out in it.

Finally got around to some different up grades, like this Rago Compressor mount.

Back down to our favorite swimming hole and BBJ stretched her legs a bit. Very glad to have aired down ahead of time, and even more glad to have some skid plates.

Got to paddle a bit too, and the kids caught some creek shrimp.

Now I need to buff out some scratches

Some more progress posts as the kids are watching Hamilton...

Rago fab FTW...

And on the Rago Fab mount, I installed an ARB twin compressor, and then my brother from another mother made my dual battery charger:

And it went straight to some good use in MT...

More to follow...

And installed some more RCI love...

Ok...some more project and travel updates, in no particular order.

I spent about 3 weeks on the road in UT, OR, WA, ID, MT and a small jaunt in to far northern NV. This was camp the first night, in central UT at about 10k:

And coffee the next AM, definitely like the Mountain Hatch tailgate cover.

This was the spot my buddy and went fishing...caught a good one too...

Camp some where near the UT/WY border...woke up to snow, and these a-holes on the way out....thankfull I had my bucksaw and axe.

Next it was the Alvord Desert and Steens Mountain area in OR...must see area in my opinion. Camped at a hot springs for a few nights and enjoyed the hell out of it.

Stopped on the way out to fish for some cuts, but no luck:

Made my way north and west some, towards ID from OR, and had to gas up off-road once...fairly easy with a jiggle siphon and decent jerry cans.

These are the lantern I use for camping...gotta love Luminaids.

I then made my way in to MT and stopped as much as I could to paddle.

Then stopped at the amazing place call the Garden of 1000 Buddhas.

And hiked along the Lochsa and checked out a few more hot springs:

Then it was time to grab the vintage Merc my coworker had stored in Billings. My buddy flew in and we trailered it back down to Flagstaff. Stock suspension would have sucked, and I'l glad I had the airbags. For mine, I went w the daystar cradles, as you can see in the second pic...they flex off road.

When I got back home, I painted the White Knuckle Offroad sliders with some SteelIt and installed them:

Thats all for now.

Oh, forgot that I added an Eezi-Awn K9 rack to the cab of the truck to haul some gas cans. The gas can holder is an OG Expedition Exchange unit from years and years ago that a buddy had laying around, but it still worked just fine.

And a better view of the gas cans on the rack.

I may get an actual rack to be able to haul my Husq and other stuff.

OK...after the big trip through MT and back, it was time for a lift...after much reading and reading and reading, I went with what I know best...Old Man Emu. I've run OME on my 95 XJ, 01 XJ, 01 WJ, 01 Mitsubishi Montero, 91 80 series, and now Judy. Regular old springs pack in the rear, still w airbags, and might add the OME AAL with some shackles at some point. I had the work done by Summit 4x4 in Prescott, AZ. First time I've had a shop work on a vehicle, but between covering three different clinics in NAZ, I zero time to do it myself...I'm definitely happy w the results and the customer service too. SPC UCAs went in at the same time...next is wheels and tires when these wear out.

Here is a before:

And a few after:

Around this same time, I became very tired of hauling my bike, and my kids' bikes in the bed, so I went in search of a set-up to address that issue. One of the folks on the AT FB page turned me on to RIGD, and after looking at their product, I bought the Ultraswing Megafit. I dig this one because the hitch is still rated at 10k pounds and this thing DOESNT move. I went w the Front Runner table too, but dont keep it on all the time, as you can see...or cant see...to be specific.

For the bike rack, I tried a used Yakima frame holding style, but needed top tube adapters for 2 of the bikes, and after testing those, it was a no-go...I'd lose a bike on the road in to my house, let alone off-road, so I found a used Kuat on CL and ran it through some paces over the weekend.

You can see how far it sticks out, but even with some decent climbs and off camber situations over the weekend, there was no dragging of hitch, or bike rack:

In these, you can get a good idea of clearance:

All of these recent pics are from our trip to the Kaibab and NR of the GCNP...more pics to follow...

Almost immediately when we got on the dirt, we came across a heard of buffalo:

We took a roundabout way to get to the edge of the canyon at our first stop, and were treated to views like this:

A sunset ride along a deserted road o the Kaibab, and views like this as the sun dipped below the horizon:

Camp set-up is always easy, and in the morning, we could see more of the features of the area:

I took the kids on their first bit of single track...7 miles round trip...and they were wiped afterwards!

It wouldn't be a trip to the area without at least one fallen tree...thankfully I learned and brought my Husq to make quick work of the pine tree:

Camp the second night was made late, but I chose an OK spot, if I do say so:

...and with that, we took off for home...

Man! That’s a lot to process! Well done with the build details and the travel details amigo!

:popcorn

Wow...some updates are definitely needed on this...

Here was the weekend project.

I got rid of the Rago ARB mount, and switched everything over to the Bannock Mount; like the location better as it doesnt obstruct the fuse box anymore. Finally completed the in-cab wiring too w an SDHQ switch.

Original Rago Mount:

New Bannock Mount:

SDHQ Switch...lights up blue:

I hit the road over the Summer and met up with a brother from another mother to complete the UT Cutthroat Slam. Even with terrible water levels, we completed it 3 days! The tiny bugger was the last one caught and the hardest, fishing wise....the Yellowstone was the most difficult to hike in and out of.

Alright folks....this camper has served my kids and I incredibly well, but with obligations in life changing, it no longer suits my needs, so up for sale it goes. I've solo camped out of this for a few weeks straight the past 3 summers, and had numerous trips w my kids and I. Its seen the dry AZ climate, to the snowy mountains of ID and WY, to the rain soaked forests of WA and OR....not once has it let me down, and even though bought used, Mario, Janine, Martyn and the rest of the folks at AT have been incredible.

Currently on a 2014 Tundra w the 6.5' bed, but was previously on a Ram megacab with a 6.5' bed. Please check the AT website for fitment or email them directly.

Now for the details; I purchased this used in 2019, and it was purchased new in 2018, having a new Nemo tent installed in February of 19 by the previous owner(note the color difference between other models of this year). Its got:
-Carpeted walls and hatch
-sleep platforms in the 3 piece form, capable of sleeping 4 adults, or 2 kids and one adult in most cases.
-rear hatch led light (white)
-four interior LEDS, two at the hatch sides, one on the hatch, and another at the bulkhead, all white.
-3 cross bars on roof attached to aircraft track
-Maxtrax pins on the driver's side
-Pass through window with screen w security shade on the passenger side. The security screen is a little wonky, but fully functional, FYI.
-RIGID LED scene lights on the underside of tent when open, passenger side is finicky at times and I haven't chased the issue down yet.
-RIGID LED scene lights on driver and passenger side, with switches for each side at the hatch.
-Pole holders on the back side of the matrix pins for easy pole storage.

The tent screens, zippers and canvas are all in great condition, and the mattress side has a gear loft as well.

Priced out new, cost is somewhere around $16k, before taxes and installation. I'm asking $11k, but that isn't hard and fast. For the sale, or for for interested parties, I will respond to private messages I get in order of receipt. To hold the camper for you if you're a serious buyer, I'll ask for a $1k deposit. I'm in Flagstaff AZ and will be at the Overland Expo in May if you want to take delivery then. It'll be on my truck until purchased, so the specifics can be worked out backchannel. Please PM me with any questions.

Thanks
Gavin

Sold the Habitat, and am awaiting a Camp Ovrlnd topper in a few months. Took my last trip in it a few weeks back, my buddy and his GF came down from SLC to try and complete our AZ Wild Trout Challenge...we got skunked on native brooks and on the Apache...winds in the 40-50mpg range made casting damn near impossible on these small waters. Best part was all three getting the Gila.

Sneaking up on the little fish

Native bow

Native Brown

And my buddy gave me an awesome gift of his hand tied flies!

Had a few great campsites:

And made some camp spam musubis the last night...so damn tasty.

The sleeping situation....I want to be able to leave all my sleeping gear in place and not have to set it up each time. Couple that with about 4-5 different mattress set-ups that I tried w no success, so I'm changing it up and trying something new.

I'm also lazy and dont like having to climb up and down to tuck all the tent fabric in, and then the ability to insulate/heat the tent portion is difficult w the Habitat, compared to the pop-up option.

The sleeping situation....I want to be able to leave all my sleeping gear in place and not have to set it up each time. Couple that with about 4-5 different mattress set-ups that I tried w no success, so I'm changing it up and trying something new.

I'm also lazy and dont like having to climb up and down to tuck all the tent fabric in, and then the ability to insulate/heat the tent portion is difficult w the Habitat, compared to the pop-up option.

It will be interesting to see the next build out.

Drove from Flag to Ridgway, CO and back this weekend...waiting on a CampOvrlnd for Big Booty Judy, and a regular ol ARE presented, so yeah...long drive, but I got to fish. I'm working on my WNTI species, and knocked off #3... the Colorado River Cutthroat. Pic dump ahead.

Now, in checking with the dude that runs the WNTI, only one of these is a true CRCT...but which?

Shout out to Rep Your Water for my home state native fish Apache Trout!!!

In AZ...not every hole holds a fish...in CO, and on this particular water, literally every hole had a fish...and this was the money fly...my buddy's hadn't tied Sparkle Wing PMD(pale morning dun(dull grayish-brown color))

And for you kinky f**ks...enjoy my foot

Beautiful view on the drive back, and a big storm north of town.

Back
Top Bottom