Let's talk about SWAGS!

rlynch356

Adventurist
Is anyone using one? looking at some offerings from Australia (Crashpad and some others) and the ease of setup, all in one design (pad, tent, poles, and your rack all in one bag) is very tempting for solo trips when I don't want to bring the OZ Tent RV5, a Cot, etc..

I need a ground tent (Smallish Dog camping buddy) and hate spending a lot of time setting up and mostly tearing it down. I also really liked my old Canvas Autohome Overland RTT.
I'm in a D90 soft top so that rules out RTT's even if I liked them...

Downsides to the SWAG style, packed up is on the bigger side but but not more than the individual components, and I could probably replace the mattress with an Exped MegaMatt and get it down somewhat.

Anyone use them on a regular basis? Thoughts?

I love my swag, and have countless nights in it over the last 5 years. Mine is the Outback Swags Pioneer, sadly they seem to be out of business. It is quick, comfortable and versatile. The only real downside to them is you don't have any room for getting dressed in the morning, and on mine with it being a top entry it makes getting in and out in the rain a bit tricky if it is not under an awning.

At Mountain Rendezvous a while back

20160826_084730-01.jpeg

in @Haggis backyard (thanks again for the hospitality)
img_20160726_031232.jpg

I have a review of it on our old blog from a while back
https://familyoffthemap.com/swagging-across-the-country-with-outback-swags/

A friend who camped on our property a few weeks ago camped in his for the first time. Very nice, with a super comfortable mattress and more roomy than I had imagined it would be.

I like a swag for solo travel.

On my recent trip out to Utah I was “full time” in a Mountain Hatch solo swag in a variety of weather.

No issues in high winds, rain or snow, and at nighttime it got down into the teens at altitude and I was blissfully unaware of what the weather was doing outside. Until I went to open up one morning near the Bears Ears and dumped some snow on my face. Good times.

Some have said I'm a large man, and I was perfectly comfortable every night in this swag with plenty of room and good ventilation.

These are available now in the US through Mountain Hatch, I think it's a SOLID product and I highly recommend it as an alternative to more complicated ground tents, especially for solo use.

6484C400-ECC5-4B2C-857F-3FDB9D5D962A.jpeg

@Dave over on the Utah trip thread you said something about using a Nemo pad in it? is that a replacement for the stock pad or in addition, no real info on the pad thickness/construction on the Mountain Hatch website, or any real info unfortunately. I do like the PVC tub floor they did on it.

@Dave over on the Utah trip thread you said something about using a Nemo pad in it? is that a replacement for the stock pad or in addition, no real info on the pad thickness/construction on the Mountain Hatch website, or any real info unfortunately. I do like the PVC tub floor they did on it.

It comes with a decent foam pad. But I’m a heavy guy and a side sleeper so I add a Nemo mat on top of it. Perfect for me.

7AA95A04-D80C-4BF4-A02F-29DF16022991.jpeg

Got it... was looking at an exped megamat max as a replacement for whatever I end up with (6”, R10). Also would work in the 200 series on top of the drawers and rear seat.

I ended up going with the Crash Pad King Single.. Just to be a bit different (and lots of great reviews in AUS). I'll post a thread on it when I get it seasoned, and out in the field. Turns out we may be getting another swag for my daughter(s) when they go with me as they love it.. so I may get the Mountain Hatch version so a direct comparison can be made.
@Dave the awning system you posted will probably also join the truck kit as I have been looking for something to use on the D90 which does not mount solidly (no place for it since its a soft top) - that looks perfect.

I ended up going with the Crash Pad King Single.. Just to be a bit different (and lots of great reviews in AUS). I'll post a thread on it when I get it seasoned, and out in the field. Turns out we may be getting another swag for my daughter(s) when they go with me as they love it.. so I may get the Mountain Hatch version so a direct comparison can be made.
@Dave the awning system you posted will probably also join the truck kit as I have been looking for something to use on the D90 which does not mount solidly (no place for it since its a soft top) - that looks perfect.

Nice! Looking forward to hearing your review!

Decided against a thread of the Mountain Hatch Dual. Instead just my thoughts.

We spent the last three nights in it. Prior to departure I weighed it and it came in at 39 lbs. That is with replacing the factory pad for the Exped Mega Mat. Set up is easy and fast, I put a ground tarp down on the ground first and really isn't necessary (old habit). Once I set up camp the first night I put in my Big Agnes 15 degree double sleeping bag with hopes of fitting the entire assembly in the factory SWAG bag when breaking camp.

First, this thing rolls up HUGE! The Exped helps a bit as you can compress it more than the factory mattress.
Second, there is plenty of space for two normal size humas both me and the Mrs fit comfortably and with side openings there is no need to crawl all over each other for a late night bathroom break.
Third, it retains heat well! The lows overnight were down in the low 60s. I slept on top the sleeping bag two of the three nights and when the rain moved in Saturday night I was quick to flip the side door closed before it came down heavy. Could be used well into the fall with two adults keeping the interior warm.
Forth, the whole assembly can be rolled up and put in the factory bag! That is the SWAG, Exped, and Big Agnes double bag.

A couple takeaways. With the sleeping bag in the tent once rolled its big and heavy at around 48 lbs. If you don't fully close the zippered side door rain can enter. There is not enough room to change clothes inside unless you want to do that lying down. When rolling this giant burrito to move camp you will need to sit on it to help push the air out of the mattress, it comes with two wide straps to cinch tight and keep it compressed.

Overall its much better than the Front Runner Flip Flop tent it replaces. With the sleeping bag inside the SWAG set up is super fast and take down isn't to bad.

MH #1.jpg
MH #2.jpg
MH #3.jpg
MH #4.jpg

I got this swag-tent off Amazon to use on my recent backpacking trip. Its pretty lightweight, so reasonable for backpacking.
The setup is easy enough although the design requires staking it out and guying it out as well. It also wasn't quite as water-resistant as I would have preferred. After a fairly heavy cloudburst I was starting to get some minor weepage through the tent material, compounded by the small interior size.
IMG_20210730_113458.jpg

I also found several annoying things about it:
1) Its narrow enough that my inflatable sleeping pad is wider than the tent at the foot-end
2) Once the sleeping pad was in place there wasn't a whole lot of clearance above me in the tent, maybe 5 inches or less above my face.
3) Being front-entrance only it was a bit difficult to get inside without tracking dirt into the tent. Also, since the sleeping pad is maybe a bit longer than the tent wants it to be, the advertised "vestible" area ended up being where the pillow-end of the pad had to be, so things like boots, etc couldn't actually be placed into the vestibule to keep them dry/bug-free ,etc.

Overall, I think it has promise as a backpacking tent in dry conditions when paired with a different sleeping pad, or maybe as a desert tent when operating from a smaller vehicle like the YJ.

I'm pretty sure this is the one I have, or identical to it:
https://www.amazon.com/LytHarvest-U...d=1&keywords=swag+tent&qid=1628111858&sr=8-49

Good info.. i used a "Bivy Sack" that was almost exactly like that in the 90's when i hiked the AT, until i upgraded to a hammock and a simple tarp. It was too heavy with a pad and not waterproof despite large amounts of sealer on the seams. but then again not much else was either in the 90's

I have only a couple of nights in the Crashpad single, so am holding my review of it, but so far its comfortable with the stock mattress, heavy rain proof, and quick to setup and mostly to take down (a bit more involved when soaked though)

Back
Top Bottom