project Mini Weber WSM BBQ Smoker

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
here's a project I've been working on Mini Weber WSM BBQ Smoker (Weber Smokey Mountain) from a 14" Weber Smokey Joe Grill. I wanted something smaller I could take instead of a full size 18 1\2" Weber WSM BBQ Smoker camping to do Pork Butt, Small Brisket, ribs or what ever. This little smoker is alot smaller in height & will still perform as the larger one I have.
Took a 32 qt. Tamale Pot, cut the bottom out, used a 12" clay pot disk for a heat difusser (clay is a good heat sink which I'll wrap in aluminum foil), add (4) 2 1\2" 32x10 machine bolts, lock & flat washers & nuts to hold the clay difusser, (4) 3\4" 32 x10 machine screws with lock & flat washers & nuts to hold the grill rack in place, added a tel tru thermometer, minion basket, & BBQ fan bulk head so I can run my digital draft assist fan.
Painted the tamale pot with high temp paint in gloss black.
Everything comes a part easly, the tamale pot rest on the area were the original grill grate goes for the Weber Smokey Joe Grill, so I can still use the original as small grill.
SAM_4391.JPG
SAM_4390.JPG
SAM_4389.JPG
SAM_4382.JPG
SAM_4381.JPG
SAM_4383.JPG

the Mini-Me WSM is seasoned & ready for use. It ran 4 1\2 hours just on 25 charcoal briquettes & a 2 1\2" x 2 1\2" chunk of cherrywood & maintaned pit temperature @ 244 to 245 degrees continously during the seasoning period.

Going to test it out on some thick cut pork country still ribs to make some BBQ Pork Taco's
SAM_4398.JPG

the Mini-Me WSM BBQ Smoker worked perfectly, maintaned pit temperature very good, never wavered.
Made BBQ Pork Taco's frtom thick cut country style pork ribs, with apple cole slaw, chipotle salsa & Kosmo's Apple Chipotle BBQ Sauce. Seasoned the country style ribs with my Memphis BBQ Rub. I believe this little WSM smoker will fit the bill on our camping trips.
SAM_4411.JPG
SAM_4404.JPG
SAM_4402.JPG
SAM_4407.JPG
SAM_4400.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_4400.JPG
    SAM_4400.JPG
    397.4 KB · Views: 74
At least that's one addiction you don't need to seek help for. LOL :drool Do you add any liquid to the setup, i.e. water to the clay pot base, or does it still stay moist enough even in the smaller setup?

the clay dish broke, I make a heat difusser from 1\8" stainless steel & testing a 12" pizza stone for the replacement of the clay dish. Between the stainless steel difusser & the pizza stone, it seems to be holding up.

You can add a pan of water for a heat sink & moisture. I wanted a dry cooker since I have 2 compotition water cooker already. I spritz water.

Attachments

• SAM_4441.JPG
    SAM_4441.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 65
Back
Top Bottom