The Ultimate Adventure Report

Goodbye Portland.

6954AF5D-C23D-4F71-B32A-2D058BAE0978.jpeg

Hello Northern Nevada.

D0531553-26AE-4AB1-AFCD-4A0F19FC3851.jpeg

About to leave Phoenix, the third flight I've been on this week that is over sold. Terminals in Atlanta, Denver, Portland, Phoenix and Minneapolis were all standing room only. Crazy busy.

I distinctly remember a time when a person had to walk across the room to change a television channel. We've come a long way...

Funny you say that.

After I wrote your message, I was thinking this was a pretty cool/interesting way to communicate. Me, sitting at my desk in Georgia, you at 30,000 feet above New Mexico, traveling at 500 MPH - talking like we are sitting on two sides of a campfire.

Yes, we've come a long way...

I'd love to be able to take a look at how they setup the in flight wifi and it's terrestrial connection. The further east you get the faster the service gets. There's huge service outages when you're over remote areas of the West so it can't be satellite based... routing through FAA beacons on the ground perhaps?

On top of that the equipment on board the plane offers streaming video and music services. So in addition to being airplane maintenance technicians the guys in the hanger have to be network engineers. :eek:

I'd love to be able to take a look at how they setup the in flight wifi and it's terrestrial connection. The further east you get the faster the service gets. There's huge service outages when you're over remote areas of the West so it can't be satellite based... routing through FAA beacons on the ground perhaps?

On top of that the equipment on board the plane offers streaming video and music services. So in addition to being airplane maintenance technicians the guys in the hanger have to be network engineers. :eek:

I'm pretty sure it's a ground connection - not sure why/how I know that.

Also, going up to satellite, you would see a delay (signal propagation time). You probably wouldn't notice it for our communication, but, unless the aircraft has huge data buffering capabilities, you probably would notice it in movies and music.

Yeah - now, to get your A&P, you also need IT certification! Poor guys........

Used 4 wheels today to get through Georgia, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and into Pennsylvania.

Some observations:

The 75/24 interchange at the GA/TN border has been under construction for 30 years. It shows no signs of being completed anytime soon.

I need to spend more time in Tennessee and Kentucky.

Cincinnati is a cool looking town when you enter from the south. Steel Bridges look like drawbridges leading into the city that is terraced up the hill on the other side of the Ohio river.

Columbus OH drivers are issued one of two different driver's licenses. One allows the driver to operate a motor vehicle only if they do so at 20 MPH below the posted speed limit. The other license only allows for operation of a motor vehicle at 20 MPH over the posted limit. There is no middle ground. May the good Lord help you if you have an out of state plate.

I had forgotten how painfully obvious it is that Pennsylvania spends more on road maintenance than Northern Ohio.

The network depends on the the airline. Some use GoGo ground based and some use Row 44, satellite based. It's not that fun. On the ground your phone is just as good.

Back
Top Bottom