The Random Thoughts Thread

What's the point of a complex computer tracking system for packages when USPS marks a package as delivered at 3:15pm yesterday and it's not? I have a security camera showing them driving by w/o stopping. Then when I call and ask about it I'm told that I should wait a day or so to see if the package is delivered. I'm going to walk in to the Post Office and ask to buy some stamps and then just silently stand there. When they finally ask for a form of payment I'm just going to tell them to wait a day or so to see if the payment shows up.

Or conversely, Amazon advises a package will not be showing until late May. While out walking yesterday, it lands on the front porch. What if we had been on a trip?

In my working life, I recall a competitive acquisition that considered the ability of a vendor to give a correct answer. The scoring mechanism made a wrong answer 5x as bad as a non-answer. Bad info is often worse than not having info.

Or conversely, Amazon advises a package will not be showing until late May. While out walking yesterday, it lands on the front porch. What if we had been on a trip?

In my working life, I recall a competitive acquisition that considered the ability of a vendor to give a correct answer. The scoring mechanism made a wrong answer 5x as bad as a non-answer. Bad info is often worse than not having info.

It's especially relevant when you take into consideration porch pirates.

^^^^Scientific name is "cranial rectal inversion"...wait, that's "head up your ..."...belay my last, carry on with the Plan of the Day!

I'm sitting here at my computer, and across the street, my neighbor comes out with his chainsaw. He is wearing a t-shirt, shorts and sneakers. Nothing else - no safety gear of any sort.

He is de-limbing a tree - by cutting each branch from the top down. Apparently, he does not know any technique of running a saw. Not only that, his saw sounds like it has less power than my string trimmer.

Should I go over and help the guy out? Would I just insult him? We've spoken once in the 3-ish years they lived there. (We tried to be friendly when they moved into the neighborhood, but they didn't seem interested. And to you doubters, Laura instigated the friendlyness, so I didn't piss them off!)

I am a little concerned he doesn't injure himself - they have 2 little ones.

Oh well - rant over. He went back inside.

@Scott B. A few years ago, new neighbors moved in next door to me. I was mowing my lawn & edging the sidewalk with my Little Wonder steel-blade edger. He came over, introduced himself & although there was a bit of a language barrier we conversed. Finally, he told me he admired the fine edge of my grass/sidewalk. The following day, I come home from work to find him on his hands & knees with a CIRCULAR SAW edging his sidewalk!

@Scott B. A few years ago, new neighbors moved in next door to me. I was mowing my lawn & edging the sidewalk with my Little Wonder steel-blade edger. He came over, introduced himself & although there was a bit of a language barrier we conversed. Finally, he told me he admired the fine edge of my grass/sidewalk. The following day, I come home from work to find him on his hands & knees with a CIRCULAR SAW edging his sidewalk!

Wow. "A" for effort???

So I walk outside this afternoon, and found a large branch had broken out of one of my trees in the front yard. Guess I get to break out my saw tomorrow.

Yep.

Besides, chaps are sexy.....................:eek:

Cheaper than new legs too.

I was watching some show (Alaska homesteaders) and the guy has his wife out on a scavenger hunt. She has to fall a small spruce to get the balloon on top with the clue in it for the next station.

She's on TV, falling and limbing this 20 foot spruce with no chaps on. None.

Cheaper than new legs too.

I was watching some show (Alaska homesteaders) and the guy has his wife out on a scavenger hunt. She has to fall a small spruce to get the balloon on top with the clue in it for the next station.

She's on TV, falling and limbing this 20 foot spruce with no chaps on. None.

When I was getting my EMT, I had to work 40 hours in the ER. One afternoon, a guy came in with a minor chainsaw cut on his leg. He only needed some stiches - I bet it was weeks before his wife stopped being mad/upset at him.

He was lucky - another couple of inches, and he would have lost his leg.

Back
Top Bottom