SPOT - Gen 2 and the Price Increase

4x4x4doors

Adventurist
I carry a SPOT Gen 2 with me. For those unfamiliar, its a satellite GPS device that will use the satellites to send out a series of messages.

The Gen 2 is limited to a predetermined (customizable) set of messages.

There is the OK/Check-in message that you set via a web interface. In my case, it says this is me (or us) from SPOT and we're doing fine, just checking in. It sends to a list I set up from the web that includes emails to my sisters, home and text messages to my daughter and wife. Attached to the messges is a clickable link to a map showing where I was when I sent the message. It sends the message when I physically press a button on the face of the device, powered by 3 AAA batteries.

There is a second message which says I need some assistance, please attempt to contact me and is intended to be used for mechanical-type breakdowns but could also be used for other types of pressing (but non-emergency) contacts. I also select a predetermined list to receive this one.

There is a third message available which says “send out the calvary, I am in need of rescue”. It could be a medical emergency or similar. It is monitored by a call center who has my emergency contact information and should send out SAR or similar help.

Limitations include one-way communications and the need to pre-establish the messages to be sent before you go out there.

The SPOT requires a subscription with them. It has been running about $100 per year.

I primarily use it to let my selected folks know where I am. By agreement, I send an “ok” message when I stop for the day and when I get going in the morning. Also if I pass/stop at an intersting/notable point. If Mrs. hears from me, she knows I've landed for the night and also that I got out of bed. If she doesn't hear from me at deisgnated intervals, she begins to backtrack.

Sometimes, when we connect via phone, she'll pass along info like that I'm only 20 miles from Phil and Edna or else the dot matrix printer museum (you may have to be a certain age to get that one). She has also passed along some info that I wasn't aware of (that mine is called the Widowmaker because of the number of deaths, etc,).

Primary use is more toy with emergency notification possible. It fits into an overall strategy that includes OnStar, cell phones, HAM and CB. Based on where I'm likely to go, its not really likely that I will ever be severely limited in comms choices and really am over armed.In group travel, the variety of cell providers generally assures that someone in the group will be able to get a call out if needed.

One option that was always available is a breadcrumb feature that will drop timed breadcrumbs which will post to a protected webpage that you can share. It has always been extra cost.

Like so many things, the service is set up so that they renew your account without intervention (or notification) with a charge to your card. This year, my credit card info had changed and I had not updated it which turned out to be a good thing. The price had gone up CONSIDERABLY to $175 per year. While this info was available if you visited their website, there was no separate notification sent. After consideration, we decided that the additional cost was not worth it for us so called to cancel the service. Their self-service website would not permit cancellation of the account online, it needed to be called in. (Do you smell upsell effort coming?)

So I called and waited on hold and waited and waited and finally reached Manny. Told him I wanted to cancel. He asked why. The cost increase and the way it was handled weren't great but primarily the service was not worth the cost to us any longer.

He eventually told me that the cost increase was due to the inclusion in the basic service of the breadcrumb feature but because of customer loyalty (6 years), he would credit the additional cost so the service was back to about $100 per year for the 2 years -which I usually did- with the added breadcrumb feature.

With or without the breadcrumbs, the service suits us at ~$100 per year so we renewed.

If you have a SPOT and have renewal coming up, be aware they will negotiate away the increase. At least they did in my case since I wasn't willing to pay for the additional service.

Not pleased with the no notification price increase but I also never felt “pressure” to extend the service.

I got the email about the increase. I'm going to stick with it because, using my elementary math skills, it is still much cheaper than the InReach for my purposes. Spot does have a rental option.

Resurrecting since its really a continuation of the same thoughts.
SPOT sent out notices in the last year that they will be renewing one year at a time instead of two years in the future.
I received email notice that they will be renewing on my anniversary for $175. Not happy about the price increase but still think it fits into comms strategy for our family.
Went online to see if there were options. Seems new service is $12 per month for a year or $15 if you want to turn it on and off a month at a time.
Went online to chat and asked for an explanation of how my $175 fit into their $144 per year. Was told that was new pricing for new subscribers but "let me check, can you hold?"
Long and short is they offered the "new" lower (but still higher than 2017 pricing) so my annual is $144 annual.
It might be worth checking into if you still use one.
*On a separate issue, my SPOT2 is no longer sold but is still supported. I asked if there were public plans to discontinue support and was told that all public plans indicated continuing support for the SPOT 2 device.
@leucadiacruiser

If you mean the check-in/ok message that I create, I would say 8-10 times per year.
We use it for most any "exploring" day trip or pretty much anything that involves traveling out of our Metro area.
Since it includes a sent-from coordinates location, I will use to mark interesting places we've been for future reference/research.
On any given trip, we'll send a message when we cross state lines, stop for night, start in the morning, or reach/pass an interesting POI.
We generally do one long (4-6 weeks duration), two medium (1-2 weeks), five or so short (weekend or daytrips) each year.

Have you thought about switching to Inreach? They used the Iridium network which has 76 satellites in LEO (Low Earth Orbit) with 6 in reserve. This means that they're always flying around overhead. It's a lot more reliable and their lowest plan is $11.95/mo (if you pay 12 mo at once) and $14.95/mo if you pay off/on. The plan also includes 10 messages (sent or received). Activation fee is waived during specials like Black Friday.

For my purposes, the extra cost (hardware plus per message fees) of an Inreach exceeds the additional potential benefit of better coverage.
This might not be true for others who travel to more remote locations than I do or who don't already have the SPOT2 hardware cost absorbed.

Back
Top Bottom