The Star Wars Thread

For any of you home chef types and food nerds like me. If you know the manufacturer... bring your wallet.

71952599_2576022995790710_2873917047597694976_o.jpg

One day during the sound mix of American Graffiti, the film George Lucas wrote and directed before Star Wars, Walter Murch for some reason asked an assistant about one of the several units of magnetic film into which Graffiti’s dialog had been edited. They were working on the movie’s second reel, and he needed to know something about the second dialog unit. When Murch referred to it by using the shorthand nomenclature R2D2, George Lucas, sitting in the back of the room, made a note.

Here is Walter Murch, holding that Reel 2 / Dialog 2 unit, about forty five years later.
75464309_10157786082134439_3012258399468388352_n.jpg

So, The Mandalorian... Who is watching? Surely I'm not the only nerd here that is tuned in.

So, The Mandalorian... Who is watching? Surely I'm not the only nerd here that is tuned in.

I’ve been home sick with a cold so I’ve watched both episodes twice. So far I like it. I’m also a fan of Clint Eastwood‘s Man with No Name westerns. At one point, I was just waiting for that familiar whistle.

I am not, but I need to.

Caught up on The Mandalorian. Also caught up on Clone Wars, Rebels. There's a lot of context in these last two series series that I missed. For example the "Saw Gerrera" character played by Forest Whitaker in Rogue One. Clone Wars has the character's origin. Rebels shows what happened to him after the formation of the Empire.

Watched both Madalorian episodes with my daughter last night. There were some great moments and some facepalm moments. Two guys reassembling that ship to the point that it could leave the atmosphere and travel through space using hand tools in the middle of nowhere? Talk about a trail fix...

Watched both Madalorian episodes with my daughter last night. There were some great moments and some facepalm moments. Two guys reassembling that ship to the point that it could leave the atmosphere and travel through space using hand tools in the middle of nowhere? Talk about a trail fix...

I give Star Wars some leeway for this sort of stuff. It's not hardcore sci-fi like Arthur C Clarke's 2001 A Space Odyssey. It's space opera with some inspiration drawn from the Valérian and Laureline comic and other sources. The design director on The Phantom Menace kept a set of Valérian comics in his library.

Back
Top Bottom