The Random Thoughts Thread

No way this ended well for that arm.

IMG_20190726_183509.jpg

IMG_20190726_183523.jpg

IMG_20190726_183538.jpg

IMG_20190726_183554.jpg

Locally, the risk of having to pay court costs in an unsuccessful challenge makes it prohibitive to bother.
The overlords tell us that the speed ones give a 12 mph margin so that, in theory, 46 mph in a 35 mph zone would not generate a ticket but 47 or more would. Anecdotally, a significant number of 35 mph zones generate 47 mph (but almost no 48 mph) tickets. The only people who have the data to analyze statistical plausibility aren't sharing that data with mere civilians.
Every time one of these gets vandalized/destroyed in a collision, the news stories talk about the loss of revenue with nary a mention of how that stretch of road is suddenly unsafe as it is no longer monitored by a revenue collection safety device.
I have never liked them. Actually, I never like the idea of traffic ticket revenue going into the PD budget. It seems very counter productive.

Not to mention the violation of the 6th Amendment... :(

When I lived in the UAE, we had speed cameras, but very few red light cameras (actually every red light had a camera, but very few issued tickets). The technology used there is sound. In five years there I never heard of anybody with a legitimate complaint about being tagged unjustly.

Everybody knew what the speed limit was, and everybody knew the cameras were there. Anybody who got tagged wasn't paying a fine, they were making a donation because they either weren't paying attention (bad at speed), or they were stupid. We called them "volunteers."

Instead of bragging about how fast they were driving, people were actually embarrassed when they got "flashed - (the light going off on the camera indicating it got you) because it was a stupid mistake. Imagine that - people being embarrassed about breaking a law.

Enforcement was simple and logical. Registration of the vehicle is a privilege. If you want to put that vehicle on the road, the you take responsibility for what it does on the road. All tickets must be paid to register it for the next year. If you owned the vehicle, you take responsibility for it because you are in the best position to keep it below the speed limit or stop allowing others to exceed it.

It was kinda hard to find the injustice in that approach.

Back
Top Bottom