Sylamore Ranger District in the Ozarks

ArkansasDon

Adventurist
we decided to canceled our original trip do to the weather so we headed for the national forest 2 hrs from our home for spell. Drove off the main forest road fir 12 miles & found a nice spot to set up camp next to a creek in a nice large clearing. We pretty much stayed in camp the entire time with the exception of walking the road & the creek bank. Relaxing, peaceful, we never saw a person, ate good, built a nice fire, drank a few adult beverages & listen to a classic country radio station. My truck "ol" Heavy" & the trailer had no problems or issues, pretty much a sound trip.
003.JPG
064.JPG
038.JPG
032.JPG
017.JPG
029.JPG
034.JPG
035.JPG
010.JPG
042.JPG
044.JPG
046.JPG
057.JPG
068.JPG
073.JPG
075.JPG

Last edited:
the McGinns Can Cooker works very well, it pressure cooks & steams. My wife Sally recipe with skinless chicken thighs (she browns in a skillet), Andouille sausage, garlic clove, sliced bell peppers yellow & green, celery, red potatoes, onion, Cajun seasoning & 16oz of Mountain Dew Soda in 50 minutes it's done. She served it over Cajun rice.

Once again Don, your posts are making me hungry. I see you have your priorities straight as well, that wheel gun cuts down on the mealtime interruptions.

thanks, I started packing a weapon back when Sally & I used to live in California on our camping trips. Back in the early 1990's @ time we had 1990 GMC z71 w\ Lance Camper & towed a small offroad vehicle (1972 Suzuki Jimny LJ20) which I was rebuilding. Sally & I always dispersed camp whether in the Los Padres National Forest or BLM.
One trip we were camping off the side of the road in the Los Padres National Forest just outside of Fort Hunter Leggitt on way to Plaskett Ridge Hwy 1 (our destination) in the middle of the night our Rat Terrier Jake woke us up with low growl. I notice from the moon light I saw images walking by the back door & sounds of feet on gravel (threw the lower rear wide angle window) the door knob slowly turned but we had it lock & dead bolted. Grabbed my 1911 & a small mag light popped out from the roof escape hatch hammer back & saw two male figures running off. That morning I walked around the truck, trailer with the LJ20 looking if things were missing, moved or tinkered with, nothing was . Camp security IMO is a must for me, most of my handguns I own are in .45 cal with the excepting of a 38 S&W short in S&W I Frame revolver, & Colt Vest Pocket Pistol in .25acp which I carry legally in Arkansas when I go to town. When we camp I take .45 in ACP, Colt or in Win Mag what ever I feel at the moment.

Sally & I like to eat good, were 97% dispersed offgrid campers, the 3 % we are with our son & his family @ public camp grounds with the twin grand girls were I still pack a firearm & my son a LEO law enforcement officer he carries.
photo taking inside of Fort hunter Liggett & phone box in 1993.
04-12-2014050826PM_zpsf4538d3d.jpg

Last edited:
I'm in NC and legally carry too. Our recent trip to Big Bend had my wife worried about camping so close to the "border". In addition to my pistol, she said she would feel a little better with a 12ga. in the truck. So you know what happened............. If Mama ain't happy.............

I'm glad you brought that up "Big Bend" I want to go their but my wife doesn't because of all the crossings. How safe is it to camp their & has anyone had any issues?.

I'm glad you brought that up "Big Bend" I want to go their but my wife doesn't because of all the crossings. How safe is it to camp their & has anyone had any issues?.

We just returned from Big Bend. We backcountry camped a couple days, lots of exploring, and we crossed the border into Boquillas MX. I too was worried about the possibility of coming across illegals crossing through the park. I can say without a doubt, I never felt unsafe or in danger and never observed anybody crossing illegally. Big Bend was awesome!

My wife had the same concerns. We were there the third week of February and camped 4 nights, all in primitive road sites. As Blue Moose said above, never felt unsafe or saw anyone we felt was an illegal. The area is so remote that it's probably too remote for border crossing. Those who would do that probably know its another 100ish miles to civilization once they clear Big Bend. And calling Marfa, Marathon or Alpine civilization is a stretch for most people.

We then went west to Big Bend Ranch State Park which is even more remote and the same was true. If you really want to get away from the tourist crowds, go there. Spectacular scenery of even a more arid nature. We spent 2 nights there and saw one guy on a mountain bike and I think 2 other motorized vehicles. The staff at park HQ was very friendly and helpful. You can also have campfires there, unlike the NP but bring/buy your wood before you arrive as none is available in the park.

You won't be disappointed. I'd recommend camping at primitive road sites as you will have solitude & privacy. Be prepared for unbelievable sunsets and sunrises. Our visit coincided with a full moon and our first two days had beautiful sunrises with the moon setting at the same time. Here's one of them I shot with my phone.
IMG_0567.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom