Dave's Jeep JL Rubicon: The Gray Goat

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^^I can't have nice stuff like that, I'm hard on equipment, I'd end up using it for a workbench at some point.

It is a good looking table. I almost wonder if having a metal backing on the cutting board would be practical. It seems like it will take some abuse being exposed like that. On your rig with a well planned arrangement, maybe not so much, but the average Joe (Bob:rolleyes:), with not so well planned arrangements, it will take a beating from gear bags, plastic totes etc.

^^^^I can't have nice stuff like that, I'm hard on equipment, I'd end up using it for a workbench at some point.

It is a good looking table. I almost wonder if having a metal backing on the cutting board would be practical. It seems like it will take some abuse being exposed like that. On your rig with a well planned arrangement, maybe not so much, but the average Joe (Bob:rolleyes:), with not so well planned arrangements, it will take a beating from gear bags, plastic totes etc.

Exactly why I’m going to evaluate the HDPE cutting board - it’s Dave proof ;)

Pics. Somebody asked for nighttime pics of my home brew LED light strip on the rear hatch of the JL. Parts and details are listed earlier in this thread.

Here it is:

BDEB0DCF-16EB-48AA-AAF8-15C63F579EAA.jpeg

ED6432CD-159F-4E39-AAAA-7A99B6CC7D9F.jpeg

4A03DE59-A91A-4069-ADD1-3039A350E551.jpeg

D5444CEB-72FC-41B5-8107-790F41E3A180.jpeg

2381239F-B028-43A9-82ED-5D4A704DF7BC.jpeg

64A750AF-F6C9-4044-83D9-D0B34C5F9A28.jpeg

So on the JLUR there are two different rear cup holders depending if you have cloth or leather seats. This is because of how the headrests interfere when the seats are folded flat but worth the trouble of removing the center headrest if needed IMO.

A8A239D6-31E4-4404-BE21-5CE57D00C0D0.jpeg

Leather gets the useless tray, cloth gets real cup holders which is nice if you have a rear seat passenger especially on a road trip.

14A17EB8-9429-47B6-B3F3-EF819234EF0A.jpeg

Swapping them out is easy. Six #20 Torx and two 10mm bolts.

Start at the armrest. Only remove the two Torx at the rear, then pry out the rear panel (vents etc) with a trim tool.

2E2F80E2-7B33-4911-997B-6B557D42A215.jpeg

Then once the rear armrest panel with the vents is popped off, remove the two 10mm hidden under the covers on each side and remove the two lower Torx seen here.

5CD3FFC3-7840-4C31-9E6D-E6A33DAA469D.jpeg

Then the hard part. Use a block to lift up the entire center console so you can reach the last two #20 Torx (PITA) hidden inside.

94028987-E7B2-4C37-9D89-EE489F157CA4.jpeg

5B19CD9A-F4DD-4451-B769-B83F6AD261AE.jpeg

Then follow the steps in reverse to install the new cup holder. But wait to do the lower PITA Torx last. Voila! Functional rear cup holders for a leather interior JLUR.

55A3A40F-24FC-41DB-940F-3FE18D5E5B47.jpeg

Sustained sub-zero temps here as the “Polar Vortex” brings record lows to the Midwest. The Jeep is performing well in these conditions.

-26 below, -55 with wind chill. I’d say it’s Polar Rated ;)

My 2016 Ram had some gremlins that would pop up in severe cold like rear camera and backup sensors not working, thankfully the JL has none of those.

799A5A1F-926C-46C4-81BE-65CC0596C6DB.jpeg

One of the best option package in Jeeps is their Cold weather package that has a heated steering wheel.

I really love that thing!

A couple of lighting questions for you, Dave. Do your LP9’s have an actual fog light setting, or are they more of an amber DLR? Also, do Jeep’s OEM LEDs now rival JWS lights, or are they still behind?

A couple of lighting questions for you, Dave. Do your LP9’s have an actual fog light setting, or are they more of an amber DLR? Also, do Jeep’s OEM LEDs now rival JWS lights, or are they still behind?

IMO, the LP9 amber setting is more of a DRL. I don’t know enough about JWS to comment, but the LED package is AMAZING. Very very happy with the OEM lighting on the Jeep!

The tail lights, markers, DRL’s, all of it simply outstanding. And the headlights. Best OEM lighting I’ve ever had on any vehicle and well worth the $900 option.

Thanks for the info, Dave. I’m looking to upgrade my JK’s lights to Hella HIDs, if I can live with the new look caused by putting a 90mm projector into a 7” headlight (form follows function).

1A82D1E8-9A07-4214-BB03-43E948D1A0AF.png

If I can’t, then I’ll look at the JWS or, if they can be retrofitted, the JL’s LEDs (haven’t seen it done yet).

Either way, I’m planning on then replacing my old IPFs with the LP6s.

See you later this month?

Step 1: Abandon all other lighting plans
Step 2: Buy JWS
Step 3: Ride off into the sunset a hero

Trust me.

I have to agree. Played the, well these should work fine and are much cheaper than JWS lights. Yep, sent back lights next day and ordered JWS lights and couldn't be happier every time I am driving at night.

Very very happy with the OEM lighting on the Jeep!
The tail lights, markers, DRL’s, all of it simply outstanding. And the headlights. Best OEM lighting I’ve ever had on any vehicle and well worth the $900 option.

Having owned just about every flavor of Jeep over the years, that quote is one I would thought I would have never read. Jeep lights have always been marginal at best. It's nice to hear that you can actually see down the road with this new model.

Having owned just about every flavor of Jeep over the years, that quote is one I would thought I would have never read. Jeep lights have always been marginal at best. It's nice to hear that you can actually see down the road with this new model.

It’s true. The JL has a great LED lighting option package. I can’t imagine ever going back to incandescents. In fact, last trip to California we had a rental car, 2018 Ford Edge. The incandescent lighting was so bad it was literally like two candles. Two.

These LED’s are so much better :D

Step 1: Abandon all other lighting plans
Step 2: Buy JWS
Step 3: Ride off into the sunset a hero

Trust me.

Okay, I've canceled my HID upgrade (for the time being, at least) and started looking at the JWS J2's. What do I find, however? A J3 version coming out sometime later this year:

So, now I'm going to wait a few months and see how the new J3's do in the real world. I have no idea if the gimmicky Bluetooth (BLUETOOTH?!) features will be successful and don't know if I'd ever do anything other than set-and-forget. However, if the J3's are as improved over the J2's as stated (75% increase in low output and 50% increase in high output, plus the heating element), then that will likely be enough for me, even if the Bluetooth doesn't connect.

Now, for auxiliary lighting upgrades from my old IPF 968's, do I go with a pair of Baja Designs' LP6's :drooland call it done, or be better served with a pair of Squadron Sports in the driving/combo pattern + a pair of S2's as fogs?

I've always appreciated a good set of mudflaps. Door handles, doors, rocker panels and tailgate covered in mud and/or road salt and ice just sucks. Here's an option for the JL that I'm seriously considering. They are quick release so they can be taken off if the conditions dictate. They're even available as front only:

ROKBLOKZ RALLY MUD FLAPS

2018_Jeep_Wrangler_JL_Rokblokz_Black_Red-28_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom