The how NOT to rig things thread!

Wiring is "rigging", isn't it?

upload_2018-8-25_22-29-42-jpg.2873804

Never seen that one before... It was just a small fire...

OK, I am an amateur, forgive my ignorance. Honest question:

Other than the lack of a thimble, and the use of perhaps one more clamp than necessary. What is wrong with that one? and what makes it unsafe as opposed to merely unreliable?

This thread would rise from humor to education if we explained why an example was bad instead of just posting a photo and giving it a thumbs down.

OK, I am an amateur, forgive my ignorance. Honest question:

Other than the lack of a thimble, and the use of perhaps one more clamp than necessary. What is wrong with that one? and what makes it unsafe as opposed to merely unreliable?

This thread would rise from humor to education if we explained why an example was bad instead of just posting a photo and giving it a thumbs down.

The saddle of the u-bolt clamp (the non-u-bolt part) needs to be against the live part of the wire, not the dead-end. They could be spaced out a little bit more, as well.

The frayed end causes me concern - how far under the clamps is the wire frayed?

Theoretically, the thimble is not 100% necessary. Warn used to ship their wire rope winch lines without a thimble. That being said, you really should use a thimble - it will extend the life of your wire rope.

Agreed, not the best set up, I'd do it in a pinch, but there is a right and wrong way to install those clamps,

View attachment 41610

I have to admit that I've never understood WHY it makes a difference which way you put the clamps on. But I'm prepared to accept that the experts know what they are talking about. I would just add that the number of clips used and the spacing between them depend on the diameter of the cable. You can find the specification table here:

http://www.fdlake.com/wrclips.html

Back
Top Bottom