The New Jeep JL Wrangler

Dave

Adventurist
Founder
Senior Staff
Editor
Recently, I attended the LA Auto Show to see the unveiling of the first new Jeep Wrangler in many years.

27E7DE3F-D1B1-4D5D-8A6A-B7EE0E1C3D8A.jpeg

I was impressed. Impressed to the point that it may be my next vehicle build. This coming from a life long Toyota guy albeit with a similar life long Mopar fetish. Try as I might, and despite how good it was, I never could love the JK.

My impression of the Jeep/Mopar/FCA mashup going on here with the JL is that they're killing it.

8CE2AB59-105C-4BF1-BF37-03666A95DC88.jpeg

The new Wrangler is slightly bigger and yet weighs 200 lbs less than the JK. It's all new from the groud up but it still has the classic Jeep look but with better aerodynamics. And the interior is WAY better. The weight savings is due in part to the doors, hinges, hood, fenders and windshield frame being made from high-strength aluminum, while the rear swing gate is made from magnesium.

The frame is stronger and lighter than the JK being made of high strength steel, and the JL Rubicon models get re-designed Dana 44 axles (thicker axle tubes and forgings) front and rear with 4.10 gearing, and a NV241OR Rock-Trac 4x4 system with MP3022 transfer case with 4:1 low-range gearing and Tru-Lok electronic locking differentials front and rear. The front axle has an 8.26-inch ring gear and the rear uses a larger 8.66-inch unit. Track width is 1 inch wider than the JK.

The five-link front and rear suspension has been improved and brake discs are 12.9 inches front and rear, basically equivalent with the Mopar Big Brake Kit. It has a tighter turning radius than the JK and comes with 33 inch BFG AT KO2's - and it can accept up to 35 inch tires without trimming or need for a lift or new wheels. Bone stock, the JL Rubicon has a half an inch more ground clearance than a JK Rubicon and is designed for water crossings up to 30 inches without modifications.

The optional 8 speed auto has a crawl ratio of 77.2:1, and the D478 gearbox is still a six-speed but has a deeper 5.13:1 First gear ratio. That means a manual transmission JL Rubicon with 4.10 axle gears has a crawl ratio of 84:1. :wow

There's NOTHING else like it. Once Jeep’s Ecodiesel with 442 lb-ft of torque becomes available in 2019 (with fuel economy numbers well above 20 MPG in town) it may be time to #takemymoney

C1FE3E66-5D89-4388-A3B9-818600067998.jpeg

A06776AB-1687-4FE1-8324-D015C8D561F8.jpeg

55C5C8FF-88F6-4402-8B7C-C055F388E859.jpeg

714E86B4-6F72-41DA-8789-65D98E0A8A8D.jpeg

D54924D3-70C8-4B51-9E56-F5244043D8F7.jpeg

FF36A266-889A-42C3-AFC5-9E9DB79EE4DE.jpeg

Last edited:
Very informative post. I've found the JK interior small and somewhat uncomfortable. Any difference with this new model, assuming they let you "try it on"?

Very informative post. I've found the JK interior small and somewhat uncomfortable. Any difference with this new model, assuming they let you "try it on"?

Yes, the JLUR is slightly bigger than JKUR, the two-door is four inches longer, and the four door is 2.5 inches longer. The JLUR is slightly larger inside as well gaining about an inch and a half more leg room in the rear seats.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Interior-Seating-4-Door-Interior-Sport-Cloth-Black_jpg_image_1440.jpg

Visibility is improved with larger windows all around, and to me (at 6'4) the interior felt no more cramped than my 2005 Tacoma did. It's not like the inside of my Ram 2500, but I fit just fine.

Speaking of Ram, the JL gets the optional U-Connect 8.4N display shown above which is a HUGE deal. I really LOVE this system in my Ram.

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Interior-Uconnect-Systems_jpg_image_1440.jpg

Lots of other new interior features I really appreciate, and now that I've lived in the Midwest, I'll NEVER buy a new vehicle without heated seats and steering wheel. SO nice on arctic mornings!

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Interior-Gauge-Cluster-img_jpg_image_1440.jpg

Heated-Front-Seats.jpg

2018-Jeep-Wrangler-JL-Interior-Storage-Systems-And-Utility-Trailrail-System-i_jpg_image_1440.jpg

Photos courtesy of JEEP

Last edited:
Is this where you invite me for a test drive, or will you refer me to the sales manager to offer financing packages? :D

Is this where you invite me for a test drive, or will you refer me to the sales manager to offer financing packages? :D

You'll have to do that on your own, I did. And I'm liking the Kool Aid :koolaid

Freaking sweet! Loving the porthole half doors on the red Rubi. Seriously Jonesing for JLU Rubicon Diesel! Might have to start pole dancing at strip clubs to raise the extra money. Not that anyone would pay to see me dance but they might pay to NOT see me dance... :eek:

I love the way the windshield can come down. Don't even bother on a JK.

The second year of the diesel is when I will buy another. If they still offer the unlimited warranty.

The diesel in the wife's Grand Cherokee gets her an easy 28 mpg highway. Be surprised if a diesel JL gets less than 35.

I love the way the windshield can come down. Don't even bother on a JK.

The second year of the diesel is when I will buy another. If they still offer the unlimited warranty.

The diesel in the wife's Grand Cherokee gets her an easy 28 mpg highway. Be surprised if a diesel JL gets less than 35.

I would suspect the diesel JL will get the same or maybe slightly less than the Grand Cherokee as the GC is somewhat more aerodynamic.
I love the power of the EcoDiesel and if Jeep offers it in the upcoming pick up I might have to get one.

I would suspect the diesel JL will get the same or maybe slightly less than the Grand Cherokee as the GC is somewhat more aerodynamic.
I love the power of the EcoDiesel and if Jeep offers it in the upcoming pick up I might have to get one.

Yeah, just hoping it actually goes into production

It’s in JB status. Built, waiting on color matched hard top.

Patiently waiting on delivery.

V6 I assume? Do you also have an Ursa Minor Pop top on order?

I have been following the JL Forums before deciding on selling the van to give the Jeep a go.....looking forward to following your build as we know that is coming. I bet you have parts stacked in the kitchen already...:).

I have been following the JL Forums before deciding on selling the van to give the Jeep a go.....looking forward to following your build as we know that is coming. I bet you have parts stacked in the kitchen already...:).

I have an Ursa Minor J30 pop top.

Money very wisely spent. I've been sleeping in that thing all over the desert and can't really come up with something better.

No flapping or noise in high or low winds. 5 minutes to set up and 6 to take down. Really makes camping a breeze. Plus you can sleep anywhere. I've had some stunning morning views out of mine.

We can neither confirm nor deny :spy

Back
Top Bottom