Jack Question

So I was over on one of the "mainstream" RV forums, in the Truck Camper section, and there was a thread about changing flat tires with the camper on. About half the people on the thread plan to let AAA or Good Sam change them for them, and the other half plan to change them themselves.

The DIY'ers all swore by aftermarket bottle jacks. What surprised me was the assertion by one of them that:

"I suggest a 30 ton bottle jack. Not much difference in cost, not much larger in size, and a lot easier to jack up when you are under the truck laying in the dirt or mud."

Now I carry a 6 ton bottle jack in my truck. I figure 12,000 lbs is more than enough to pick up only one wheel. Is a much bigger jack actually easier to use? Because of the larger piston size, or some other bit of hydraulic magic? I've little experience with them, I figure some of you here must know a lot more about them. Thanks

I've learned a lot of people on a lot of forums spew forth a wide variety of information with no actual science or sense behind it, but will religiously profess whatever they say as absolute truth and you'll never be accepted as an overlander unless you follow their wisdom.

#jaded

Only plus I can see to the larger jack is a bigger base. But 12k lbs should be way over kill for any one corner of just about anything. Smaller=lighter and smaller and easier to store. Add a base/plywood/block for under it and call it good.

Theoretically, the higher rated jack should be easier to pump (lift), but take longer (time) to achieve the same height of lift as the lower rated jack. A longer handle can also be used to get more leverage.

Either way, I wouldn't get under the truck when it is only supported by a hydraulic jack. One minor seal failure could be catastrophic.

Either way, I wouldn't get under the truck when it is only supported by a hydraulic jack. One minor seal failure could be catastrophic.

Agreed. Whether you're a bottle jack user or not, the Bogert SafeJack accessory that provides a baseplate and adapter to use the bottle jack extensions to make a collapsible jack stand is a nice bit of kit.

Fullscreen_capture_2182015_85008_AM.bmp_grande.jpg

Back
Top Bottom