LiFePo4 (LFP) Portable Power - a little project...

Terrapod

Adventurist
Howdy all...

Just your friendly neighborhood tinkerer at it again. I basically put this system into my latest trailer build. The results were so useful and lightweight, I immediately began thinking about how I could modify it into a small, lightweight portable power center.

Here is my trailer's setup:

48wDRss.jpg

What is consists of is the following:

50 Ah LiFePo4 battery
Fuses / breaker and master switch
Switches for fridge, 12v outs, and lights
Total weight of the battery = 18lbs

Here's my portable solution:

JOdMBMK.jpg

WL886Rq.jpg

The final unit came in at weighing only 25lbs. I was blown away. The unit was made from a Seahorse case and was fitted with the same LFP battery. Took me a little while to find a small master switch, but it turned out great.

I had the top face panel CNC'd out of aluminum skinned LDPE and then created the graphics file to be laminated and cut to match. All-in-all, I am pretty happy with the results.

Notes about the LFP battery - it needs to be charged in a different way than conventional lead acid batteries. As such, I incorporated the Genasun MPPT charge controller to aid in recharging the system. There are a couple bits that I added once I learned about how the LFP's work. This particular battery is from evil bay and includes an onboard BMS that maintains the charge/discharge and battery leveling.

So far to date - I have been very satisfied with the results. Stay tuned for more.

C

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom