Building the Go Anywhere, in Anything UL Camp Kit

Haggis

Adventurist
Senior Staff
Founding Member
Our adventure trips take on many flavors (off-road, deep woods, raging waters and underground) and with a change in careers for me we are looking at more opportunities to explore. With that our standard mode of travel, hopping in the truck and hitching up the trailer, won't have to be the main option anymore. So we began to look at building a light weight, compact camping kit that could be tossed in a carry on bag and a rental car, stuffed in a kayak or slung over our shoulder as we reconnect with our backpacking past. One kit, many uses, all adventures.

The inspiration for this kit is based on the Ultra-light, low buck movement in the world of backpackers. Our goal is a comprehensive, budget oriented camp set/up that if it walks off an airline luggage carousel on its own or gets to go for a swim off a canoe we aren't dumping thousands of dollars in the drink. So realistically we are talking about $500 or so for a single person and $800 for a couple. Some stuff we will reuse from already on hand items but we will figure their actual cost into the formula. Some items will be added/removed depending on the flavor of trip and environment. We are trying to keep under 25 lbs of gear divided between the two of us other than food, clothes and water.

The Kit Requirements

Shelter:
Tent: Alps Mountaineering Aries 3
$145. 6.2lbs
Tarp: Paria Silpat 8'x10' Ripstop
$45. 14 ozs.
Footprint: Alps Mountaineering
$38. 8 ozs.

Sleep:
Bag
Cot
Pad. Klymit Static
$33. 18.1 ozs. X2
Pillow. Trekology Dreamer
$14. 2.8 ozs. X2

Cook:
Stove
Fuel
Cook pot
Silverware. Toaks Titanium set
$20. 1.7 ozs. X2
Cups
Bowls/Plates
Cleaning cloth
Pan

Camp:
Chair. Moon Lence Ultralight
$31. 2.0 lbs. X2
Lighting Soaki Collapsible LED Solat Lantern
$15. 6:7 ozs. X2
Fire
Cordage

Personal:
Towels
Wipes
Suds
Toiletries
Water Filtration

That's the basic outline. I'll post up what we are thinking of for each option and why it caught our eye and the weight and monetary value for each item. I appreciate any input from you all.

Last edited:
I got back into backpacking 2 years ago and refocused my gear on being ultra light and multipurpose. However, I like to be comfortable. I spent 2 nights on just a inflatable sleeping pad. I woke constantly and could never get comfortable. I bought this cot. It is very expensive, but it is very compact and light. I think 2.5 lbs. I use it with the inflatable pad and sleep very well. Dependent on what other gear i carry, I either strap it to the bottom of my pack, or keep it vertical inside the pack.

cot.PNG

cot2.PNG

Last edited:
I like this idea too!

I'll throw a couple things out there.

Klymit V inflatable pad, rolls up tiny (like roll of TP size) and is light. Although it looks weird its comfortable. Its my backpacking pad, no cot under it.

Aqua Quest Sil Tarp. Light, folds up pretty small, lightweight, drys fast in the sun. The "straps" and stakes are useless. But its pretty cheap and works well for me.

I don't see water filtration, I bought one of these last year, its AWESOME. Katadyn Gravity Camp 6L Water Filter. Quick connect fittings fill bladders while they are still in the pack, you can fill it and hang it in camp to just have water on hand. And its FAST, I love my MSR, but pumping is a bitch when you need 5+ liters.

Have you thought about doing the hammock thing instead of tents? Some swear by them, I've tried it, better than the pad/ground thing, but I like my cot better....

I got back into backpacking 2 years ago and refocused my gear on being ultra light and multipurpose. However, I like to be comfortable. I spent 2 nights on just a inflatable sleeping pad. I woke constantly and could never get comfortable. I bought this cot. It is very expensive, but it is very compact and light. I think 2.5 lbs. I use it with the inflatable pad and sleep very well. Dependent on what other gear i carry, I either strap it to the bottom of my pack, or keep it vertical inside the pack.

View attachment 37886

View attachment 37887

The Helinox is the Cadillac UL for sure but at $250 a pop kills the low budget premise of the kit we are trying to build. Instead we are looking at this Marchway model...
IMG_5564.jpg

IMG_5570.jpg

All the info finds it to be made in the same factory as the Helinox one but is just a tad heavier. Supports up to 300 lbs. Weighs in at 4.7 lbs. Good reviews from the UL hikers and it comes in at just $75. That's $125 more dollars to buy more kit, so sign me up.

Klymit V inflatable pad, rolls up tiny (like roll of TP size) and is light. Although it looks weird its comfortable. Its my backpacking pad, no cot under it.

That's on our list as well as the Outdoorlab UL pad...
IMG_5565.jpg

The Klymit can be had for around $45, the Outdoorlab for $40. Compare that to the benchmark Thermorest Nemo light at $150, and there's another chunk of change saved.

Aqua Quest Sil Tarp. Light, folds up pretty small, lightweight, drys fast in the sun. The "straps" and stakes are useless. But its pretty cheap and works well for me.

We already have a Paria Sanctuary Siltarp that we use as a rain fly for our Maggiolina. Love that thing.
IMG_5566.jpg

I don't see water filtration, I bought one of these last year, its AWESOME. Katadyn Gravity Camp 6L Water Filter. Quick connect fittings fill bladders while they are still in the pack, you can fill it and hang it in camp to just have water on hand. And its FAST, I love my MSR, but pumping is a bitch when you need 5+ liters.

Dang it, forgot to put it on the list. We are probably going with the Sawyer Water Filter.
IMG_5567.jpg

Purifies 10,000 gals of water, weighs in at only 2 ounces and it will screw on to a light weight Smart Water bottle. Cost is $15.

I’ve seen Helinox and Marchway side by side. I can’t tell the damn difference. The Marchway is solid.

Dang it, forgot to put it on the list. We are probably go with the Sawyer Water Filter. Purifies 10,000 gals of water ways only 2 ounces and it will screw on to a light weight Smart Water bottle. Cost is $15.

Link?

I had an old timer buddy who's complete kitchen set up was a cup, a spoon and a light weight burner. It's been 10 plus years, so I forget all of the brands he used, basically he survived on instant foods for his meals...boiled the water in his cup, poured it into his instant meal and called it good! Bill was an old(er) timer, suffered a heart attack, doc told him to lose some weight, so that's what he did...got rid of the camp stove, cook ware, chuck box, etc...we were never 100% certain that's what his doc meant.:rolleyes: In his defense he did eat instant oatmeal for breakfast, he told us it was "healthy" as he chased it with a screwdriver (for the vitamin C content, the drink...not the tool).

Have you thought about doing the hammock thing instead of tents? Some swear by them, I've tried it, better than the pad/ground thing, but I like my cot better....

I don't do extended nights in a hammock, plus we want something we can get out of the weather together in. We are thinking an Alps Mountianeering Aries 3 person tent...
IMG_5568.jpg
IMG_5569.jpg

We are willing to sacrifice a few ounces of weight for a little extra height and width over a two person tent. This tent has dual doors and vestibules and a footprint is available. It weighs in at 6.2 lbs so it's a bit on the heavy side but it also makes for a good canoe/rental car tent. Price is $145 for the tent, $38 for the footprint. Great reviews on this as well.

I like the tent. I'm with you, I always look at tents sized for one more person than I need. I've never thought a hammock even looks comfortable. I've laid in one for 30 minutes or so now and again, never tried sleeping in one. Just the looks of the "U" shape they seem to put your body in makes my back hurt.

I like the tent. I'm with you, I always look at tents sized for one more person than I need. I've never thought a hammock even looks comfortable. I've laid in one for 30 minutes or so now and again, never tried sleeping in one. Just the looks of the "U" shape they seem to put your body in makes my back hurt.

You have to lay in them at an angle. Once you dial that in they’re pretty good.

You will notice that this purporsed kit includes a pad and a cot. For backpacking trips the cots will be left behind and for rental car/waterborne trips the cots get to come as well.

That's on our list as well as the Outdoorlab UL pad...
View attachment 37892
The Klymit can be had for around $45, the Outdoorlab for $40. Compare that to the benchmark Thermorest Nemo light at $150, and there's another chunk of change saved.

We already have a Paria Sanctuary Siltarp that we use as a rain fly for our Maggiolina. Love that thing.
View attachment 37893

Dang it, forgot to put it on the list. We are probably going with the Sawyer Water Filter.
View attachment 37899

Purifies 10,000 gals of water, ways only 2 ounces and it will screw on to a light weight Smart Water bottle. Cost is $15.

I can vouch for the Sawyer, a fantastic little filter. I've used it on trips all over the southeast and out west. I'd suggest picking up a couple of the larger bags it uses as they're more convenient (and pack smaller) than any of the bottles it works with.

The filter the Sawyer straw uses is the same type in the bag system I use. They work fast, but dont catch the tiny things. Something to be aware of.

Seems like you're set on the tent/cot setup but for the sake of others reading this I'm throwing my hat in the ring for a good hammock setup as well.

IMG_20180320_101909.jpg

I've used my Grand Trunk hammock for years in all sorts of weather and temperatures and it is better than any tent I've ever had. Easy setup, easy tear down, lightweight and compresses down to about 1/2 the size of a football, rigging included.

On a trip in western North Carolina years ago I spent a night in 20 degree weather with rain and sleet. I was toasty warm and dry and the next morning I shook off my tarp, rolled everything up and was back on the trail in no time. My tent using companions had to wait for things to dry out before they could pack up and strike out again.

Th

View attachment 37899

Purifies 10,000 gals of water, ways only 2 ounces and it will screw on to a light weight Smart Water bottle. Cost is $15.

I have this filter too. I use a empty 2 liter soda bottle with mine. If you are collect water for 2, they are ideal. I am by myself but like to drink a lot of water.

Back
Top Bottom