SPOT messenger free with mail in rebate

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
I wish they would do something for those of us that have had SPOT for a few years and still have the original unit :(

I wish they would do something for those of us that have had SPOT for a few years and still have the original unit :(
They did. They just gave you the opportunity to get a new one with all the new bells and whistles that the original one doesn't have for free. That's what I just did. Upgraded for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK, please help, so I can buy new hardware and just activate on my current account? Deactivate my original and then get rebate? COOL I will call them on Monday :)

Last edited:
So I have a $100 gift card from work, thought I may want to put it towards a PLB as I'm planning some remote trips.

So you're telling me that the Spot Gen 3 was free w/rebate? So should I hold off until the next rebate and spend money elsewhere?

On sale at $74.99 at Cabelas, Bass Pro, REI and Amazon want $149. Though it was a good deal until I saw the rebate.

Does the Gen3 have all the same features as the spot tracker? Would be nice to get double duty out of it. Also how does it compare to inRach (Now Garmin apparently $$) or a full PLB in your opinion.

@BlkWgn

holy-necrothread-batman-thumb.jpg

I was getting pretty excited about a free gen 3 SPOT and wondered why I couldn't find the rebate. Oh, it's a 2015 offer. Internet sucker punch.

Debating over what emergency location device to invest in, PLB, SPOT or InReach. I hate subscriptions but like the option to send out non-emergency messages or at least ones where they don't have have to send in a helicopter and get a $70k bill...

Apparently ACR PLBs have a test option, they also have an option so that when you use "test" it will send out an email and text along with a message to whoever you list. Its an additional service for $39 or $59 a year. Way less than InReach or SPOT ($199+) if you don't want all the extras.

What do you guys think?

choose_a_plan.jpg

I said I'd never buy another Delorme product again after I bought the hand held GPS. I was wrong! The Inreach rocks! Link it with bluetooth on your tablet and send in camp meesages, on the move ETC. We used ours extensively this fall to contact family at home to find a repair shop that could fit a vehicle in for a repair while we were on the trail. Helped us plan our course of action. I also plan to use mine this winter skiing side country. Yes i know it wont work in an avalanche but if I get injured I can send a text.

Last edited:
Spot is currently having a 50% off holiday sale. I just grabbed one. My recent solo hiking excursions, while far from dangerous, have made Bec a little nervous. $75 for a Spot was a no brainer as her peace of mind is worth its weight in gold. May eventually grab one of those InReach units as well. Also, just renewed my COSAR card. $12 for a five year card is also a no brainer.

Thanks partially to a Cabela's gift card from work and another discounted gift card off of ebay I picked up an ACR PLB. Also comes with a rebate for a free year of 406Link for non-critical emergencies.

Hope to do some more remote travel in the future, along with boating and flying so this will be a nice addition.

Registered with NOAA, ties directly to SAR satellites.

Cospas-Sarsat is the system that detects and locates emergency beacons activated by aircraft, ships and people engaged in recreational activities in remote areas, and then sends these distress alerts to search-and-rescue (SAR) authorities. Distress beacons capable of being detected by the Cospas-Sarsat System (406-MHz beacons).

25712989817_4f51112ff0_c.jpg

Last edited:
Something to consider if accurate:
"The way I understand it is the PLB uses 406 technology and there is no charge for the rescue.

The SPOT uses 911 for the rescue and there will be a charge, in our area if you call 911 you get EMSA ambulance/paramedics and they charge for their service. I have the insurance and think it is $8 year thru Spot for the rescue and there is another policy available for the transport from the hospital to your home after you recover. As you know there are hitches with insurance policy's & I haven't read the details.

"SPOT utilizes a private for profit monitoring service. When a signal is received they do their stuff to check and authenticate it then call the local jurisdiction to conduct a primary search...

406 PLB's on the other hand utilize a worldwide government funded monitoring service which was developed for the maritime industry. since it is a maritime service, governed by international maritime law (as I recall from my previous life) no government may charge for such rescue services in the event of legitimate life in peril situations. When the dispatch center receives a PLB notification (eiter maritime or personal) they authenticate it (that is why you have to register it, they won't respond if unregistered) then notify the applicable local jurisdiction depending upon your GPS locale..."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom