Ground tents... An open ended discussion

Really like the OzTent but keeping backing off because of the price.

Not a rich guy. Make a median income. How often would most of you have to use a tent to justify spending a $1000? Do you guys that buy them spend weeks a year in them or just buy them because they will last a long time? I know that is kinda a hard question to answer. Need some convincing I guess.

OzTent seems to be quality and is quick to set up, down side is it is very large when packed, and a little nervous about $1000+ for a tent made in China.

OzTent seems to be quality and is quick to set up, down side is it is very large when packed, and a little nervous about $1000+ for a tent made in China.

It does seem to be quality. Even though I hate to buy things made in China it doesn't mean it isn't good stuff. A lot of crap is made there but so is a lot of good gear. Quality control is different. Saw somewhere on a forum that the owner actually got better quality out of the Chinese manufactures than he did the Australian one. That could be just marketing.

I am hesitant about dropping that kind of money but I also haven't read anything where people that have bought one regretted doing so.

Saw somewhere on a forum that the owner actually got better quality out of the Chinese manufactures than he did the Australian one. That could be just marketing.

I've heard this type of thing from manufacturers regarding everything from springs to clothing. Once upon a time made in Japan meant junk but they got better. A lot better. China is the new Japan...

I seen them in person and they seem very well made, but being made in China they should cost less, the only reason anyone manufactures anything in China is because cheap labor.

I seen them in person and they seem very well made, but being made in China they should cost less, the only reason anyone manufactures anything in China is because cheap labor.

Agreed. My Ipad was made in China and it isn't too cheap either.

BTW, what truck where you in at the SE rally?

I seen the display but never heard of them and was interested in a roof top tent at the time so I didn't pay attention to them.

I was in this....
image.jpg

But rode this the whole time!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Dude -- WTF has this got to do with ground tents?

Sorry to take it off topic. Was just asking a question. Guess it is cool to go on a tangent about poncho liners but not ask a guy a question in one post?

I was just trying to bring it back online with a pic of my Marmot 2p set up at CFW but the photo would not upload. Sorry, I will delete the last two posts.

Dude -- WTF has this got to do with ground tents?

Discussing the manufacturing and quality aspects of ground tents and where they are made, China is cheap labor, most Chinese products are crap compared to others but not all. His Ipad was used as a reference. The Rally came in because OzTent was there showing their tents.

I was in this

I used my Cot-Tent

Sorry to take it off topic. Was just asking a question. Guess it is cool to go on a tangent about poncho liners but not ask a guy a question in one post?

I was just trying to bring it back online with a pic of my Marmot 2p set up at CFW but the photo would not upload. Sorry, I will delete the last two posts.

Ahh, I'm sorry RememberTheFallen, I didn't mean to hurt your feelings but you weren't contributing anything about tents. You deserve an explanation.

Now, I know you think it was really important to note that you have an expensive iPad made in China, and you needed to know if NCRunner was at the SE Rally and that the vendor at the Rally didn't have any RTT's so you weren't interested in looking at their products. Although I did enjoy seeing you're Tacoma and the upside-down motorcycle, and your repeated attempts to get it upright, I still don't get how that has anything to do with ground tents. Somehow you passionately believe this all was pertinent to the topic at hand but it isn't. Next time I'll just delete stuff that doesn't follow the guidelines.

Now, you're remark about poncho liners, while being passive-aggressive and meant to infer that there's a double standard, really missed the mark. Poncho liners are a piece of field gear originating in the US military around 1963 which were intended to provide warmth in mild temperatures and used as a field expedient sleeping bag when attached to the standard issue poncho by means of integral lengths of cord which are looped through the poncho's eyelets. In some climates, it's all that you needed or all that you were able to carry. It's lightweight, cuts the cold, and dries quickly.

What Dave illustrated is what every former Servicemember who did field time recalls as a valuable piece of kit. Whenever I deployed someplace it was always tightly bound on the bottom of my helmet bag. In fact I still use it today and can be found in my load-out. I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of us who were issued one still continue to use it. It is a minimalist approach to sleeping on the ground which is consistent in my mind with a ground shelter.

No harm perceived and I hope this explanation helps.

Discussing the manufacturing and quality aspects of ground tents and where they are made, China is cheap labor, most Chinese products are crap compared to others but not all. His Ipad was used as a reference. The Rally came in because OzTent was there showing their tents.

I was in this [snip] picture of dirty white truck with odd orange bumper.

I used my Cot-Tent

I didn't see any discussion about tents in his post but his iPad definitely was made in China and sold at over 3 times which it cost to make. I really don't see how the technical aspects of tent fabrication and consumer electronics relate either, nor did I see anything about quality manufacturing or process review, but I appreciate your clarification and I'm sure RememberTheFallen appreciates your support.

Back on topic however, how do you like your Chinese-made Cot-Tent?

I have a Chinese-made Jet-Tent Bunker, distributed by OzTent; I really like it for those short-term camping events - super comfortable and roomy - and it did pretty good at keeping me dry in a light rain storm.

jet-tent-bunker-background-removed-616.jpg

For other long-term camping I enjoy my Chinese-made RV-2 OzTent with the side and front panels and side awning; especially in the winter and during inclement weather - it really stands up to heavy rain and wind. But you and I both have already reviewed the OzTent in this thread so I won't beat a dead horse.

I'm sensing that there may be an issue with products made in China? While there is a trade imbalance between our 2 countries I believe the real issue is with quality made products and not their country of origin. It is corporate America that decides where they will manufacture their product and US legislation that supports or makes it profitable to do so. To lay claim that all things made in China are junk is laughable. Certainly some things are intended to be manufactured at a certain price-point, subject to loose quality standards and are thus inferior - the same can be observed here in the US in a variety of domestic industries. Quality costs irrespective of country of origin.

Now if the issue is xenophobia that's another subject entirely... those posts should be in the "I'm a Blatant Racist" thread.

I didn't see any discussion about tents in his post but his iPad definitely was made in China and sold at over 3 times which it cost to make. I really don't see how the technical aspects of tent fabrication and consumer electronics relate either, nor did I see anything about quality manufacturing or process review, but I appreciate your clarification and I'm sure RememberTheFallen appreciates your support.

I see that you think you are cool but there is no need to be a dick. I deleted my posts so you wouldn't get your panties in a wad. Give it a break. Evidently there was at least two people who thought the country of origin was important. Don't see why there is a problem if I make general conversation in a thread. It wasn't like I took it off topic on several posts in a row.

Thanks for your review of all of those CHINESE made products!

Back on topic however, how do you like your Chinese-made Cot-Tent?

I have a Chinese-made Jet-Tent Bunker, distributed by OzTent; I really like it for those short-term camping events - super comfortable and roomy - and it did pretty good at keeping me dry in a light rain storm.

View attachment 3635

For other long-term camping I enjoy my Chinese-made RV-2 OzTent with the side and front panels and side awning; especially in the winter and during inclement weather - it really stands up to heavy rain and wind. But you and I both have already reviewed the OzTent in this thread so I won't beat a dead horse.

I'm sensing that there may be an issue with products made in China? While there is a trade imbalance between our 2 countries I believe the real issue is with quality made products and not their country of origin. It is corporate America that decides where they will manufacture their product and US legislation that supports or makes it profitable to do so. To lay claim that all things made in China are junk is laughable. Certainly some things are intended to be manufactured at a certain price-point, subject to loose quality standards and are thus inferior - the same can be observed here in the US in a variety of domestic industries. Quality costs irrespective of country of origin.

Now if the issue is xenophobia that's another subject entirely... those posts should be in the "I'm a Blatant Racist" thread.

I don't believe anyone said eveything made in China was junk, but the reputation is well earned, lead paint on children's toys, melamine in dog food, diseased meat banned from sale in the U.S., I can do this all day. As far as you calling people you don't know racist, if we wouldn't buy something because of the race of the person making it we would have a hard time living here, we'd have to move into the woods and make everything ourself, incase you don't get away from you computer enough to notice, this country has more than one race of people, sorry if this shocks you.

Now you can bitch about this being off topic, but remember you took it here.

I don't believe anyone said eveything made in China was junk, but the reputation is well earned, lead paint on children's toys, melamine in dog food, diseased meat banned from sale in the U.S., I can do this all day. As far as you calling people you don't know racist, if we wouldn't buy something because of the race of the person making it we would have a hard time living here, we'd have to move into the woods and make everything ourself, incase you don't get away from you computer enough to notice, this country has more than one race of people, sorry if this shocks you.

Now you can bitch about this being off topic, but remember you took it here.

You haven't exactly been giving any glowing endorsements to anything made in China in any of your posts so it sure seems like you're highly suspect of anything made there, but that's just my perception; oh, and you're welcome to take that up with me via PM or even at a future event in person that we might both attend. In comparison the US has a long and storied history of consumer products that have caused disease, disability, and death - a topic that can be discussed at length as well.

Actually, we have met before and I didn't suggest you are racist but observed if our time is spent preoccupied with the origin of manufacture of a product than that is correctly termed xenophobia. It's apparent, by this email exchange, we both spend a lot of time behind a computer.

In any event why don't you try to respond to my attempt to get this back on topic and tell us about your experience with the Cot Tent.

Despite my blatant racism I went ahead and got a Chinese made tent!

Found a good deal on a damaged but repaired new JetTent from Familytentcamping.com. Kim was super nice and helpful. Hope to get it before this upcoming weekends camping trip at the beach.

Ordered the F30. It is a 10x10 model. Got the bigger model to fit two cots and have room for changing/place to hang out in foul weather.

I will make sure to take as many photos as possible and post a good review when I get back. Pretty excited!

Joe
S/F

Kim and Randy are great supporters of the community and are just plain good people. Their support doesn't stop after the sale either.

恭喜! I think we are all excited too, Backslider Joe, and looking forward to your review and pictures of actual tents (right side up this time)!

But please, no more references to my undergarments or concerns how they might be worn. Although imaginative and I appreciate your concern for my comfort, that's just too weird and there are other websites on the internet that entertain your aberrant fetishes. :D

Holy crap, I had no idea you could spend that much $$$ on a tent.

I thought I was a spender when I spent $200 on an REI overstock tent, (which my dog chewed hole in while it was still in the box).

deathvalley0207129.jpg

See the patched wall...the dog with the black harness, Mac, has no idea how that happened!:dunno

Last edited:
Just got back from a weekend beach RV park camping trip. Not exactly roughing it but got to try the new tent out

Got the JetTent by Oztent from www.familytentcamping.com. They were super friendly and helpful. Free shipping and got it in 3 days.

I ordered the "5-6" person F30.

I was hesitant on whether to buy this tent or the F25 for a $100 less. BTW, the name
image.jpg
F30 indicates the size is 3.0 meters x 3.0 meters. The F25 is 2.5m x 2.5m and so on. I am glad I bought this one for me and the girlfriend. It is almost 10ft x 10ft at the base but with sloping walls coming in from all sides it feels smaller. It is big enough for our camping pads or cots plus a two extra chairs and small table. I plan to use this area for rainy days and changing.

The packed size is huge! Really wasn't expecting it to be this big or heavy! Setting it up was pretty straight forward. Pull out of bag, point legs up, un clip them, lay poles back opening up tent. Then loose stake in four corners. Pull center up until it locks into place. Then straighten and lock outer legs. That all took about 2 mins. I was pretty impressed how easy it went up. Add another 5-6 mins to take awning out, add rain fly and stake tent down. There were a ton of lines to stake to. That could be a real PITA in hard ground.

Plenty of ventilation inside. Never had any condensation but I was on a breezy beach with no rain. The fabric felt thick and durable. With the fly on it is darker than I am used to in a back packing tent. I liked that. Allowed me to sleep in until 0930 one morning. Usually wake up with the sun when camping.

Plenty of room inside for me to stand straight up in. Didn't feel cramped. The awning made me stoop over but not terribly bad.

Held up fine to the winds coming off of the ocean. Not sure but guessing 20-30 mph gusts? Properly staked I for see no problems with high winds.

Take down was less enjoyable than set up. After getting all of the guy lines and stakes removed I got my girlfriend to pull down on the center release tab inside the tent. Unfortunately after it reaches parallel it pops down rather fast it and knocked her in the head. I partially blame her for not paying attention, not raising her other hand, and for standing directly under one of the poles. The tent could come with a warning though.

Water had got up under the tent and we had wet sand suck to the floor. The way the tent is designed it kinda crumbles the floor up when collapsed. So we had to lay in on a table and go around pulling section put so we could brush off all of the wet sand with a hand broom. This took a little while. After we got it cleaned off we put a strap across the center and placed it back in the carrying bag. Surprisingly it went back in the bag fairly easily. No cramping and stuffing trying to get the zippers shut.

Overall very happy with the purchase!

Pros:
-large
-heavy duty
-easy set up
-great ventilation
-plenty of head room
-attached awning

Cons
-expensive!
-packed tent is very large and heavy
-lots of stakes and guy lines required
-requires a rain fly

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 211
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 114
20130607_090739.jpg
We have been using a black pine turbo tent for over three years now and it is the best tent I have ever used bar none. the picture is from our weeklong stay at Carlsbad south beach state park.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom