FlipPac Rebuild help...

TimBock2

Adventurist
Hey fellow FlipPac fans. Anybody in Denver have experience in rebuilding one? I have a horror story to share, but today I need help in putting one back together.

Short story; all trim has been removed, tent is off tracks, cap is removed from the shell. #ouch

Photos and story to come. Hopefully with a happy ending.
Tim

Putting the tent on is easy if the tent and extrusions are intact.

Putting the lid on requires a bit more (and a couple people) but is not very complicated actually. People here who know torsion bar replacement on these can attest as it is the same procedure.

Thanks Dave, I appreciate your thoughts.

As I delved in more, here's some of the questions I have or parts that are missing.
  • The tent is intact, but removed from the extrusions. Is there a place to buy replacement extrusions? One could use replacing.
  • I have all of the plastic rods that hold the tent in the extrusions. Any recommendations on how best to reattach tent to the extrusions? I was thinking using a fishing line, similar to how one would run electric wiring thru a conduit.
  • Some of the extrusions need to be remounted. Looks to be a simple rivet, but there was sealant used. Any suggestions on what type of sealant should be used under the extrusions and to hold the corners of the tent in place.
  • The lock ring for the torsion bar (the O ring that is put on the outside of the torsion bar brackets on the driver side) is now missing. Were these on FlipPacs? Any suggestions on what might be a good replacement?
  • It wouldn't be a bad idea for me to replace the rear window. Glass is useable, but the frame is bent in one place on the top. Anybody had luck on finding a new frame?
Thanks in advance. If there's any other thoughts from those who have done a full restoration would be greatly appreciated!

Tim

1 more question; Any one replace the weather stripping between the cap and the top? I'm having problems locating stripping that is big enough.

1 more question; Any one replace the weather stripping between the cap and the top? I'm having problems locating stripping that is big enough.

Use EPDM rubber bulb gasket. McMaster-Carr has what you need. Maybe even Amazon.

I suggest getting a detailed look at one that is intact. Once you see the completed thing it may answer many questions.

The window etc is all standard truck shell parts. Most topper dealers/shops should be able to source replacement bits for that stuff easily.

For sealant, I'd use 3M "Marine grade" type silicone.

@TimBock2 How did your repairs end up? I recently came upon a flip pac and the tent is slowly coming out form the rails. Any insight you have to reinstall it would be amazing!

Back
Top Bottom