RTT ladder is too short...now

Brett C

Adventurist
Senior Staff
so i went from 33 to 35" tires on the Tacoma. Yes I know it's only 1" difference in height roughly but now my ladder is a few inches from being able to reach the ground let alone on an angle.

The question I pose is; besides buying a ladder extension what options have you guys used if your ladder is to short?

Ideas I've had:
I could drill a couple extra holes but how much overlap between the telescoping ladder is necesary for proper strength?

Carry a couple leveling blocks around to put under the ladder feet. I don't like the idea of relying on finding rocks.

Hmmm... CVT sells a neat telescoping ladder that would address this. These are cool because then no matter how rough the ground is where you park, you can adjust the ladder to reach.

1403803756.jpg

Will these adapt to the soft CVT tents? This new ladder came with the hardshell and works great, but I wonder how swappable this new one is to the original.

I think I saw somewhere that you have to drill holes but if a guy is converting over it makes sense to do it right and just remove/replace.

I think I saw somewhere that you have to drill holes but if a guy is converting over it makes sense to do it right and just remove/replace.
Except then the cover for the tent won't fit right as there is a large space for the current ladder to be folded in half and strapped down. I'm thinking budget conscious here. That won't work for me. Thanks though.

Ok sounds like it's time for a McGiver solution. Not knowing the dia of legs use a suitable dia piece of sched 40 pvc about 6" long with something inside (piece of wooded closet pole?)that fills 3" or so? Cheap and can be easily modded to get height right? I can post a pic if you want?

It's the square ladder that doubles up and slides on itself. Here is the extension CVT sells for my current ladder.

https://cascadiatents.com/shop/ladder-extension/

Seriously not trying to be a wise ass here but is the $70 extension not budget conscious enough or is there some other reason you don't want the extension? Maybe you just don't need that much more ladder. Maybe a short piece of 4x6 as a bottom step?

I'd stay away from a "perfect length" solution of any sort. Many times on uneven terrain in my Eazi-Awn or even the FWC now I've wished for some extra adjustability in my ladder setups.

Just always park in a hole or something... problem solved!!

View attachment 32583
lol I'm already conscious which ways up when I park. To many times have I parked where the back tires are on the leveling blocks and I realize I can no longer see in the fridge.

Seriously not trying to be a wise ass here but is the $70 extension not budget conscious enough or is there some other reason you don't want the extension? Maybe you just don't need that much more ladder. Maybe a short piece of 4x6 as a bottom step?
I'll spend $30 on more leveling blocks before I spend $70 on a 12" ladder.

Is it just inches or give me an idea of how much you need to add? The same concept could be used with square-rectangular tubing with a filler. Extrusions are your friend
Unsure exactly. I parked in a graded camp site and pulled out the tent. Ladder swung without touching about 3" off the ground. Now add in the angle it should be at. Maybe 6"?

Unsure exactly. I parked in a graded camp site and pulled out the tent. Ladder swung without touching about 3" off the ground. Now add in the angle it should be at. Maybe 6"?[/QUOTE]

Close enough, ok I'm working on it, should have a conceptual drwg for you later today. No duct tape or baling wire will be hurt in this project

I love it when farmer/rancher types put their mind to something. I've got a buddy that has a family run corn farm in Iowa. They are start to finish farmers, till, plant, harvest, deliver, all with their own equipment.

Mike and his dad have come up with some interesting stuff, and their work is always top notch. They work on Jeeps and car restoration in those long cold Iowa winters.

I love it when farmer/rancher types put their mind to something. I've got a buddy that has a family run corn farm in Iowa. They are start to finish farmers, till, plant, harvest, deliver, all with their own equipment.

Mike and his dad have come up with some interesting stuff, and their work is always top notch. They work on Jeeps and car restoration in those long cold Iowa winters.
Hey my first thought was 2 2x4s a couple blocks of wood and 4 c clamps. But I figured people'd make fun of me lol.

Back
Top Bottom