2005 Dodge Ram and 2012 XPCamper

Love the setup. XP Campers are definitely on my list of "someday" campers. :) Thanks for sharing.

I've done a few more mods in the truck itself, specifically adding ARB air lockers front and rear. I'm thinking of swapping out my Powerwagon wheels for something that will widen my track about and inch to 1.5. The rear tires sit inside the flatbed wheel wells by about that much which means they are also side the outer walls of the camper. I think if I widen the track some I'll gain stability and less the need for my air bags. They got to stay pretty firm at 50-60 psi depending on load and wind.

I'm also considering going from my 285s to 37s which may also widen the track enough for the coverage I'm looking for. I don't want to just start replacing things and hoping. Does anyone have a good online resource or a good wheel/tire/suspension shop in SoCal that can help me make the right decisions the first time? I'd rather be scientific and know what I source will fit and function.

I've done a few more mods in the truck itself, specifically adding ARB air lockers front and rear. I'm thinking of swapping out my Powerwagon wheels for something that will widen my track about and inch to 1.5. The rear tires sit inside the flatbed wheel wells by about that much which means they are also side the outer walls of the camper. I think if I widen the track some I'll gain stability and less the need for my air bags. They got to stay pretty firm at 50-60 psi depending on load and wind.

I'm also considering going from my 285s to 37s which may also widen the track enough for the coverage I'm looking for. I don't want to just start replacing things and hoping. Does anyone have a good online resource or a good wheel/tire/suspension shop in SoCal that can help me make the right decisions the first time? I'd rather be scientific and know what I source will fit and function.

Don Thuren has some great information on wheels for the Dodges
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/tire-and-wheel-fitment.html

As for the power wagon wheels, do you have a set of 4 or 5? If you have the spare I may be interested in it, I have a few rock modifications on one of mine

Don Thuren has some great information on wheels for the Dodges
https://www.thurenfabrication.com/tech/tire-and-wheel-fitment.html

As for the power wagon wheels, do you have a set of 4 or 5? If you have the spare I may be interested in it, I have a few rock modifications on one of mine

That's fantastic information, Cris, exactly what I was looking for. I only have the four PW wheels. If I end up with new wheels, I may have two available and keep two for spares. Then again, depending on cost, I may keep the 285s on the PW wheels as an extra set for highway trips -- decisions, decisions. Did you end up needing the Thuren long arms when you went to 37s?

That's fantastic information, Cris, exactly what I was looking for. I only have the four PW wheels. If I end up with new wheels, I may have two available and keep two for spares. Then again, depending on cost, I may keep the 285s on the PW wheels as an extra set for highway trips -- decisions, decisions. Did you end up needing the Thuren long arms when you went to 37s?

I am running the Carli High Clearance control arms, the 37's on the stock arms were a no go. Driving home from the tire shop I could only make left turns, and they were sketchy. Pulling the fender flares gave me enough clearance to drive, being sure to take bumps cautiously to get it down to @Dave where we put the new arms on. If you end up wanting to sell 2 of the rims, let me know.

I finally upgraded my tires and control arms. I went with Falken Wildpeak AT3W in 35x12x17. I also added Thuren control arms. I’m already thinking maybe I should have gone with the 37s but the 35s were E load range versus a D rating for the 37s. I guess I hadn’t posted since also adding a custom aluminum bumper from Denver Offroad, built to withstand an elk strike.

16F2992A-56F0-4F73-8A59-50819C3F0232.jpeg

6B59E093-F4EA-46BE-A657-A8C3E4C6F0EB.jpeg

728ACC42-7CC8-472D-9B82-C501E4BC5FA9.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom