jeep guys only

wanderer

Adventurist
Ok here is a question for all jeep guys, you have your jeep but of you were to buy a truck what would it be and why? would you pick smiting that can be significantly modified like a jeep or something way different?
what truck would you use for overlanding if you did not use your jeep?

Power Wagon - why? I've had it with IFS. If you're getting something that big, might as well get something that will carry a decent camper and still tow the Jeep. My kids are grown though, so I'd get the two door - less of a land yacht.

Power Wagon - why? I've had it with IFS. If you're getting something that big, might as well get something that will carry a decent camper and still tow the Jeep. My kids are grown though, so I'd get the two door - less of a land yacht.
Power wagon is a 2500 with solid axles, and a reasonable payload.

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If I got a truck, it would be a power wagon because I've had it with IFS and light payload capacity. (last truck was the 1500 - nice, but not up to real off-roading)

I have an '05 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited and a GMC 2500 Dmax. The truck has not met my overinflated expectations with it's off road prowess. The Jeep meets/exceeds what I expect from this build.

189122_1775156870509_1586948477_1693589_2990279_n.jpg

I will say for the 95% of the miles I put on the truck being freeway miles, I do appreciate the ride quality of IFS over a solid axle. Before you Ford/Dodge guys get your chonies in a wad, I'm also a Jeep guy, VERY familiar with solid axles, I've maintained for years that I can get close to the same ride quality out of a well tuned leaf spring suspension on my YJ as I can from my linked/coil spring LJ at a fraction of the cost.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah, that's what I'm saying. If I got a truck, it would be a power wagon because I've had it with IFS and light payload capacity. (last truck was the 1500 - nice, but not up to real off-roading)

Depends on how you build your IFS...

kohgage091_zps1501b5dc.jpg

Before getting the LJ i was seriously considering a Taco. Perfect foundation for an overlander with solid aftermarket support.

The other idea I was toying with was an ambo-conversion and starting with an F350 4x4 chassis with a pass-through cab. Sadly I'm at a point in my life where a dedicated rig like that just isn't in the cards so, for now, I'm sticking with the Jeep.

I had a 04 TJ Rubi and got rid of it for my 07 Taco DC. I love the Taco and miss the jeep but not enough to regret the decision.

Ok here is a question for all jeep guys, you have your jeep but of you were to buy a truck what would it be and why? would you pick smiting that can be significantly modified like a jeep or something way different?
what truck would you use for overlanding if you did not use your jeep?

Doesn't matter, most of us can't leave anything alone LOL... Never had a Jeep newer than a 73, CJ5 and a J4000 (I actually miss that truck), so any room at all from any of the trucks I had since was a big upgrade. But since the J4000 both of my trucks have been crew cabs (ok the new one is a mega cab). Originally I got them for more room for the kids, but now no kids so the back seats fold flat and I have a queen size mattress that fits perfect. Only reason I would go back to a Jeep is for crawling, my MC will run everything else just fine.

If I couldn't take my Jeep overlanding, I would take my 96 SWB Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 with a fiberglass cap. It has solid axles front and rear, and with a mild 2" lift front and rear 285/75/16" tires fit just fine. A crew cab would make it an even better overlanding truck (unless trails were tight). The gears have been changed to 4.10 with true-tracs front and rear.

Starting with 1996 these trucks had the OBD2 system, and used ones in nice shape can still be bought cheaply. They came with either the 5.2 or 5.9 V8 engine. Think of it as a Jeep Commanchee truck on steroids. Same 4-link design front end (Dana 44); leaf spring rear.

If I were to buy a new truck for overlanding, then it would be a Dodge Powerwagon.

Attachments

• Truck painted.6.jpg
    Truck painted.6.jpg
    532.3 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
I'd also get a power wagon, the 15 tradesman version looks pretty sick. If only it came with a Cummins...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dream truck would probably be a Raptor. But I don't see that happening anytime soon. I've owned several Ford f-100's over the years. Oldest was a 56, newest was a 70. Loved them all except for how thirsty they were. If I were to buy something modern it would either be a new Dodge Ram if I needed a full sized rig, or new Tacoma if I could get by with something smaller. Comfort and fuel economy in both beat the old pickups hands down.

I don't have any experience with either of them. But given the numbers I see off pavement those two seem to show up the most. That counts a lot in my book.

We started with the wife's existing YJ with no lift and wimpy tires. Was going to spend some money on it last year lifting, tires,etc but had a friend offer me an 1985 Bronco /w 351w engine and already on 33s. Fixed the rear end and upgraded at the same time to a detroit in the rear. Now that I have the very capable Bronco we are going to finally spend some money upgrading the jeep to make it a bit more off-road capable.

At this point probably going to go with a mild lift and 31/32s and swap the hard-top for a bikini top and tube-doors.

If keeping the Jeep: something drastically different. I hate redundancy between vehicles though. :)
The trouble with adding another mid-size like a Taco or Ranger (did that) is there's too much overlap between purpose. Compare it with a Jeep + full-size truck, you not only gain far more long-range comfort and hauling capacity, but also the ability to tow the Jeep around on a flatbed trailer should the need arise. Yes, I know this can be done with a mid-size, but it is not recommended (BTDT too).

If replacing the Jeep: depends on what bothers most about the Jeep. My peeves with the TJ were lack of power and lack of payload/towing capacity, but I loved that it was all under one roof (unlike a truck).

As for mods: YES. But, I love to tinker...I even modded the lowly Saturn when we had it.

Back
Top Bottom